• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    I've owned both the "older" and the "newer" Mini 14's, the newer ones are better accuracy wise, owing to the new barrel profile, and the Mini 14 action is reliable as the day is long, but if you're going to invest the money in aftermarket gunsmithing and accuracy upgrades you'd be better off accuracy wise just putting together a good quality AR-15 IMHO.

Mini's are fun to shoot, no doubt about that, but they are freakin' LOUD!!

Boneuphtoner

Feb 8, 2016
    MoCo
    Love my Mini 14s. I have two modern ones...a stainless ranch and a tactical blued version. Love the ergonomics and controls compared to your out of the box AR. Also love the front sight post is right on the bore, so almost no offset at close range. Plus it just feels so solid and well put together...nothing like a hunk of steel and wood to inspire confidence. I've heard comments about poor accuracy before. I don't shoot it beyond 50 yards, and within that range, it is as good as my Windham AR.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    For the money - I would GREATLY prefer an AR. I see nothing that a Mini 14 can do that an AR can't do better.

[EDIT - maybe - just maybe - if you are a MD resident and don't want an HBAR AR rifle, I might relent and say get a Mini 14. That's as far as I'll go]

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I prefer the Mini 14 look and feel.

But I also really like the M1 Carbine look and feel.

Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    I have a newer Stainless Tactical Mini 14. I enjoy the raw feel of the pushing and pulling of the Garand style action with the clankity bang sound. I also like seeing the brass get ejected into the next town. I haven't shot over 150 yard yet, but it seems as accurate as my AR15. I also am not a bulls eye shooter every shot with having nerve damage on my right side. I do enjoy shooting the Mini over the AR anyday.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I have a newer Stainless Tactical Mini 14. I enjoy the raw feel of the pushing and pulling of the Garand style action with the clankity bang sound. I also like seeing the brass get ejected into the next town. I haven't shot over 150 yard yet, but it seems as accurate as my AR15. I also am not a bulls eye shooter every shot with having nerve damage on my right side. I do enjoy shooting the Mini over the AR anyday.

150 yards for the shot, or for the brass? :D

I like 'em too. But yeah, mine like most I've seen will throw brass about halfway to Kansas.

DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    150 yards for the shot, or for the brass? :D

I like 'em too. But yeah, mine like most I've seen will throw brass about halfway to Kansas.

At the risk of sounding like Captain Obvious, an adjustable gas block will fix that right up for you.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    At the risk of sounding like Captain Obvious, an adjustable gas block will fix that right up for you.

Yes, it would indeed. You're absolutely right. Just a quirk they're known for in a rifle that I break out once in awhile and have some fun with on occasion, and a trait that I really don't mind a whole lot. The other thing is that gas block would set me back half the price of what I paid for the rifle many years ago. Not sure that's too darned comical, come to think of it! But for me, money better spent elsewhere.

Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland

I see it as why spend 150 bucks to take away from the characteristics of perfectly operational rifle. It is even a conversational piece for the people that have not seen one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JBIRD EST.1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom