• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Giogolf

Jan 3, 2011
    Harford County
    Hey All,

I love my LCP and am pretty accurate with it considering its size and heavy trigger... but if I ever have to use it to save my life and or another’s... I don’t know how confident I would be in the heat of the moment.

So, I want to add a laser to eliminate some of the aiming issues that can occur things go bad.

I see the Crimson seems to be the most popular... Is this the one to get or is there a better more reliable one?

Thanks

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Just because I have to ask - what aiming issues do you think you will have that will be fixed by adding a laser?

Face it, the sight picture on the LCP sucks. Far easier to place the red dot on the target and squeeze.

Crimson Trace is $125 for the LCP and a nice addition to the little gun.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    Face it, the sight picture on the LCP sucks.

No argument there. I haven't shot one but everyone I've spoken too said the trigger sucks, the recoil sucks, the grip sucks.....its turning out to be the Monica Lewinsky of pocket guns.

Just not a big fan of lasers, so I had to ask.

ThawMyTongue

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2009
    Dublin, OH
    Just my .02...

Lasers are 'cool', but I wouldn't rely on them to correct an issue for personal defense. Batteries and eletronics can fail, training and conditioning will not.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Just my .02...

Lasers are 'cool', but I wouldn't rely on them to correct an issue for personal defense. Batteries and eletronics can fail, training and conditioning will not.

That's a good point, but the laser also acts as a training tool, you can see when you pull a shot. As noted the trigger sucks and without a bit of training you won't shoot straight with this gun very easily.

You do give up a lot with this gun... harsh recoil, poor trigger pull, etc. However it's incredibly small and reasonably potent for a pure self-defense weapon... It's my last choice/chance gun, but I can take it anywhere.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    That's a good point, but the laser also acts as a training tool, you can see when you pull a shot..

and that is pretty much what it should be used for..training, imho.

Too many negatives associated with laser use for my liking. I don't recommend them to my students.

(weapon mounted flashlights either :))

Darkknight

Mar 22, 2008
    Parsonsburg, md
    That's a good point, but the laser also acts as a training tool, you can see when you pull a shot. As noted the trigger sucks and without a bit of training you won't shoot straight with this gun very easily

But if you use a laser as a training tool what happens when you really need it and the little red dot doesn't show up? Will you hesitate wondering where the dot is, maybe, maybe not but that's not the time to find out. I think your time would be better spent training to shoot it for what it was meant for, quick shots over short distances that you would probably never have the time or room for a good sight picture, hence the crappy sight picture of the LCP.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    But if you use a laser as a training tool what happens when you really need it and the little red dot doesn't show up? Will you hesitate wondering where the dot is, maybe, maybe not but that's not the time to find out. I think your time would be better spent training to shoot it for what it was meant for, quick shots over short distances that you would probably never have the time or room for a good sight picture, hence the crappy sight picture of the LCP.

Well said, darkknight. Its like you're reading from my playbook. :)

Its often said that a handgun is the gun you use to fight with until you can get to your rifle. I feel that an LCP, et al is the gun that you use to fight with to get to your handgun. The .380 is as I often describe it, a "get off me gun". I don't mean to disparage anyone who bought/one's own, that's just my feelings.

Giogolf

Jan 3, 2011
    Harford County
    Thanks guys... I guess :)

I went ahead and ordered a Crimson Trace this afternoon and will post results when I set it up.

To comment on some opinions that have been expressed in this thread:

1. I practice regularly and am a pretty decent shot with it as is, but it takes concentration because there really isn’t any sights on this gun... With the laser all I have to really worry about is my grip and then from there follow the dot :)

2. The Ruger LCP does have tons of kick, isn’t very comfortable and has a horrible trigger… That being said its reliable, accurate if I do my part and the BIG one I can put it in my pocket and for that it’s the perfect warm/hot weather CC gun

3. On batteries falling and reliability... The battery is no more or less reliable than any ammo off the shelf or any part in my gun... They can all fail at somepoint... So, practice, practice and rotate batteries as often as my defensive ammo and all should be good to go.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Cocealability with Instinct/point shooting at close distance is the forte of this pistol. Funny how when something minimalistic comes out to serve one purpose, people try to make them into another pistol. Sights, grips, mag extenders,etc...

That crimson trace will help you none when you have to shoot that pistol from inside a coat pocket.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    The guy wants a laser on his gun. What's wrong with letting him enjoy it?

Personally, my first shot would likely not take the laser into consideration. From then on, it is possible it might be beneficial. IMHO.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The guy wants a laser on his gun. What's wrong with letting him enjoy it?

Personally, my first shot would likely not take the laser into consideration. From then on, it is possible it might be beneficial. IMHO.

This is an internet forum. It's what we do. :) lol

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Cocealability with Instinct/point shooting at close distance is the forte of this pistol. Funny how when something minimalistic comes out to serve one purpose, people try to make them into another pistol. Sights, grips, mag extenders,etc...

This +infinity. It's not a bullseye gun.

That crimson trace will help you none when you have to shoot that pistol from inside a coat pocket.

Also not a coat pocket gun. If you want to do that, get a revolver. The first shot out of an LCP will stovepipe the brass on the way out.

Jim

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    This +infinity. It's not a bullseye gun.

Also not a coat pocket gun. If you want to do that, get a revolver. The first shot out of an LCP will stovepipe the brass on the way out.

Jim

My bad. Thought we were talking about the LCR. I have both :) Got confused with the other thread about the .357 LCR someone posted elsewhere :)

Yeah not using the LCP out of the pocket.

Giogolf

Jan 3, 2011
    Harford County
    So I got a chance to try my new Crimson Trace laser on my LCP today and am very impressed. To 2 small adjustments to get her sighted in and away I went. 50 rounds of Blazer in a 3 inch group at 8 yards and I am a happy camper!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom