Ruger LC9 for pocket carry: holster? no holster?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruger LC9 pocket carry: holster or no holster?

• Yes

Votes: 29 96.7%
    • No

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters

Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville
    I bought a Ruger LC9 on Saturday; can hardly wait to take delivery.

My plan is to pocket carry inside the house. Should I get a holster for pocket carry or not?

And if "yes," can you recommend any holster in particular?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    1) you'll find it uncomfortable for pocket carry. Best things for pocket carry would be lcr, s&w 442, or lcp. A kahr pm9 may also work, but feel slightly on the bigger side. The lc9 is going to be too big for a back pocket, but fit in a cargo pocket. Although down in a cargo pocket, it will swing and hit off your leg and be hard to access quickly.

2) Definately put it in a pocket holster. It does have that infernal external safety, but I wouldn't trust that. Having the trigger guard protected by placing it in a pocket holster will help keep a hole from developing in any of your 3 lower appendages.

3) Take a look at a mini tuck or something like this snap slide for owb. Kydex hybrids have the comfort of leather, but the ease of holstering and drawing of the kydex shells. Having it at your 4 oclock on your belt(hopefully a good carry belt) will be more comfortable and allow for quicker presentation, should you need it in a hurry.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    In my opinion, the LC9 is a little too big for pocket carry. I carry mine IWB and find it comfortable. I would not pocket carry anything without a holster. I feel you are just asking for trouble if you do.

Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville
    1) you'll find it uncomfortable for pocket carry. Best things for pocket carry would be lcr, s&w 442, or lcp. A kahr pm9 may also work, but feel slightly on the bigger side. The lc9 is going to be too big for a back pocket, but fit in a cargo pocket. Although down in a cargo pocket, it will swing and hit off your leg and be hard to access quickly.

2) Definately put it in a pocket holster. It does have that infernal external safety, but I wouldn't trust that. Having the trigger guard protected by placing it in a pocket holster will help keep a hole from developing in any of your 3 lower appendages.

3) Take a look at a mini tuck or something like this snap slide for owb. Kydex hybrids have the comfort of leather, but the ease of holstering and drawing of the kydex shells. Having it at your 4 oclock on your belt(hopefully a good carry belt) will be more comfortable and allow for quicker presentation, should you need it in a hurry.

Thanks for the input. Four o'clock on the belt would work.

Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville
    In my opinion, the LC9 is a little too big for pocket carry. I carry mine IWB and find it comfortable. I would not pocket carry anything without a holster. I feel you are just asking for trouble if you do.

Even though there's an external safety, the BRAIN is still the best safety.

Since you carry IWB, what "clock" position do you use? 1, 2, 4, 6? Or are you a southpaw?

Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville
    Okay. Just to play devil's advocate: what about front pocket carry, no holster, and NONE in the chamber? Just a loaded magazine and the safety on?

Not trying to be argumentative; just trying to get a sense of the pistol's limitations and potential. Thanks for indulging me; this will be my first "carry" piece, so I'm as much thinking outloud as anything.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I still say the LC9 is too big for pocket carry. I have an LCP that I pocket carry. I use a holster to avoid collecting lint in places it should not be. I would hate something as small as a piece of lint to cause me any trouble. The holster also helps hold the gun in place, in the proper orientation.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    OP - If you get a good IWB holster, adjust it to your preference, and wear it long enough to break in, you will probably find that after a while it's way more comfortable than you might suspect.

Unless you wear loose pants with large pockets, even a small gun will be a PITA when you try to sit down. (Although cargo shorts with lower pockets will work much better.)

I'm firmly with the rest of the group regarding the need to have a holster at all times, regardless of carry method.

1. Protects you
    2. Protects others
    3. Protects the weapon

Remember - it only takes one slip to possibly send you down a dangerous/deadly path.

Just my .02 but whatever you do, think safety first.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    You can pocket carry an LC9, no sweat. I pocket carry a PM9 usually as a BUG, but sometimes as a primary if I am just hanging around the house, and it is nice and comfortable in loose cargo pants or shorts. Loose pants with big deep pockets can actually carry some small doublestacks like G26/G27 or a M&P compact, but the bulk is a bit more noticeable. The main issues are losing storage for other stuff, and drawing while seated is tough. If you carry, use a holster, any gun, any rig, they are a basic requirement. I have a galco leather pocket holster for my PM9 and it works well, the remora is probably the best, but as long as it covers the trigger, holds the pistol in position, and releases the gun cleanly it will work.

It may sound counter intuitive, but you want to use a holster ESPECIALLY if you carry a gun with an external safety, the triggers tend to be lighter, or the design lacks all the internal safeties of handguns without them, and without a holster the pistol can move around and easily disengage the safety. I can't stand thumb safeties on carry guns, you can't rely on them to stay engaged and keep safe, and you cant rely on them to stay off if you don't want to use it, you have to practice as if the safety is always in the undesireable position, reguardless of how you initially set it. Perhaps the best reason for a pocket holster, the gun will be in the same position every time, so the draw is consistent, without a holster, the heavy slide tends to pull the gun around as you walk resting on the flat bottom of a pocket, and leaves the muzzle to the rear and handle straight up, so the draw is tough. A good holster also reduces "printing", pads the gun so it is more comfortable on you, and protects the trigger and safety so they don't get snagged.

Belt carry is generally a "better" method if you are new to carrying, it is the method that most classes and instructors primarily teach, the most versatile, and the "standard" position, pocket, ankle, crossdraw, weak side and a couple others are "alternate" positions for those who already have learned and practiced the basics, not that it can't be done, but things like weak hand draw, reholstering, drawing under retension, and even getting a good index and grip on the draw are different and arguably more difficult.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Alucard0822, when I am carrying I am 99% of the time wearing my Levi 501 jeans. I sometimes forget that other people wear other types and style of pants. I guess when I say the LC9 is too big for pocket carry, I am speaking for my style of dress.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Alucard0822, when I am carrying I am 99% of the time wearing my Levi 501 jeans. I sometimes forget that other people wear other types and style of pants. I guess when I say the LC9 is too big for pocket carry, I am speaking for my style of dress.

Good call Moose, I was just thinking the same thing. After my response I realized that I am an old fart compared to some members and may not wear the same clothes. :D

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

Yea, probably too big then, although right after the rule to always use a holster is the rule to dress around the gun. It can take some getting used to, but longer shirts, larger pants, a strong thick belt, and a good IWB holster at 4:00 will hide mid sized and compact guns easy, keeps them accesible and quick to draw, and is relatively comfortable.

Braddbdl

Fed up Libertarian
    Mar 30, 2010
    Oviedo, FL
    I have an LC9 and it is too large for pocket carry, definitely have to IWB. Even if it would fit in the pocket, I would never carry without a proper trigger-covering holster. I would go as far to say that I think this should be mandated, definitely too dangerous to carry without a holster.

I don't think leaving an empty chamber and not using a holster is the solution. Too much to worry about during what will probably be the most stressful moment in your life (actually drawing or firing on someone attacking you). Also, what if you only have the use of one hand? You also have the possibility of unintentionally chambering one, and then getting the trigger caught (Kaboom) while "holstering" in your pocket.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

I wear cargo shorts pretty much all the time. My pf9 is essentially the same as the lc9(taking them both apart, i'm fairly certain either barrel would damned near go into the other). When I chuck my pf9 in my front right pants pocket, it's just uncomfortable. The weight pulls down on my pants on that side and it prints more than i'd like. As mentioned above, it's nearly impossible to draw while sitting down. In order to draw quickly, you've essentially got to be standing with your hand already on the gun's grip...which you can do without looking too absurd(especially if you face your gun side away from the threat..just looks like your hand is in your pocket)...but it's still annoying.

Something else related to bigger pockets of cargo shorts...yeah, the gun will fit because the pocket's opening is bigger.....but the grip will also show out the top from many positions because the pocket's opening is bigger. If you're looking at me from behind me on my right side, it's easy to see the bottom of the magazine's floor plate when the pf9 is in my right side front pocket. When i iwb at 4 o'clock, the gun vanishes completely under a t-shirt...even a white one.

The pf9 is also free to move around and swing more when carrying in the short pockets of baggier shorts/pants. This is just annoying to me and the pull down on the shorts makes it fairly obvious you've got something heavy in your pocket...especially since the weight of the semis is uneven. In comparison, a s&w 442 has a very even distribution of weight, a rounded profile(because of the cylinder) and a small grip. The design lends itself more to good pocket carry without many of the drawbacks of the lc9/pf9 sized guns.

I have found a couple pockets the pf9 works in, but they're not in my pants. One is the inside pocket under the armpit of my 5.11 button up shirts. The design of the shirt actually makes it easy to carry the pf9. The way the pocket is supported at the shoulder, and the looseness of the shirt both act to hide printing. The only thing someone may notice is the left side of my shirt sagging lower than the right side. This is counter-acted by keeping extra mags or a cell-phone in the right side.

the other comfortable pocket carry is the bigger, inside pockets of my winter coats. They are large enough to accomodate the pf9 and have enough bulk to hide it.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Good thoughts, all; thank you; a lot for a noob to think about...

Does anybody have any thoughts on or experience with the Versacarry clips?

http://www.versacarry.com/

They look pretty cool.

No experience with them but based on what I can see, I would not use one for the following reasons:

1. The trigger isn't fully enclosed/covered. (From what I can see, it just has a flap on one side. Not safe IMHO.)

2. I don't like the idea of having anything in the barrel regardless of what it's made of. (You draw, it breaks off in the end and then what happens when you fire?)

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    Of the holsters I have, this is what I personally prefer and feel most comfortable with. (That doesn't mean it's the best choice for all or right for you, just an option to consider.)

Attachments

• IMAG0071.jpg
      IMAG0071.jpg
      46.3 KB · Views: 524

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Of the holsters I have, this is what I personally prefer and feel most comfortable with. (That doesn't mean it's the best choice for all or right for you, just an option to consider.)

IMG_1864.jpg
    got something similar. It's mad comfortable and makes my m&p9c go away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom