• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackalope

I can get a real good deal on a used RI .45 $350 should I jump on it or should I just get a brand new one for $100 more? The gun looks real good and I'll be checking it out in person on Monday and testing it out anything I should look for or be aware of? I figure I'll get an inexpensive 1911 to see if I like it and if I do then I'll get a NICE one.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    If you have to ask what to look for in a used 1911 then you are in no position to make an informed decision on your behalf.

Take someone with you that knows 1911's or only buy it from a place that stands behind the gun.

Otherwise your rolling the dice. LOTS of used 1911's out there have had people in them that have NO BUSINESS working on a gun. They screw them up and then sell them.

Also older RIA's are complete junk. Only the ones made from about 2005 or so have god quality in my experience working on them as a Smith.

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    I agree with Clandestine's assessment. Just make sure whoever you are buying the gun from will stand behind it.

I just picked my GI model up and hopefully get to shoot it this weekend. Already changed the horrible stock grips and even blued the rollmark!

Picked up mine brand new for almost $400.
    RIA.jpg

IMG-20120725-00029.jpg

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    If you have to ask what to look for in a used 1911 then you are in no position to make an informed decision on your behalf.

Take someone with you that knows 1911's or only buy it from a place that stands behind the gun.

Otherwise your rolling the dice. LOTS of used 1911's out there have had people in them that have NO BUSINESS working on a gun. They screw them up and then sell them.

Also older RIA's are complete junk. Only the ones made from about 2005 or so have god quality in my experience working on them as a Smith.

I have no idea what you are talking about. You mean to tell me people f$ck 1911s and don't know what they are doing, then sell them to their friends so they have to go waste the time of an experienced smith only to turn around and have to sell the gun as parts?! That must SUCK! ;)

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I have no idea what you are talking about. You mean to tell me people f$ck 1911s and don't know what they are doing, then sell them to their friends so they have to go waste the time of an experienced smith only to turn around and have to sell the gun as parts?! That must SUCK! ;)

Why Ike, whatever do you mean?:lol2:

Jackalope

They're a reputable shop so I don't think that should be an issue but I will ask. Thank you.

clandestine said:

This is what I was asking about as I don't know about RIA guns. My dad had a couple old Colt's that he was forced to sell years ago before he passed away. I wish I could have gotten them from him but he needed the money and I couldn't afford to buy them from him. I went to the range several times with my dad so I kinda know about 1911's in general but don't know a thing about RIA. Again thank you.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Would there be another manufacturer you would recommend rather then RIA? The wife already green lighted this gun but if you can tell me of a better manufacturer that would be close in cost I could do that too.

He will tell you the American Classic. I might look at one tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom