Roaming bears in suburbia not going away (MD)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • adjusterr

Mar 28, 2011
    Indian Springs, Western MD
    Black bears have lived in Washington County for years, I guess forever. They are reproducing and sightings are ever more frequent. You can bet they are moving into more populated areas as they are smart opportunists when it comes to food. This bear makes repeated trips to our compost pile and bird feeder. Contrary to what a recent post states, don't count on a sow black bear running her cubs up a tree then "bolting" from danger. Any bear will defend her cubs and you do not want to be anywhere near them.

Attachments

• 10-14-2011 10;07;24 AM (791 x 1030) (461 x 600).jpg
      10-14-2011 10;07;24 AM (791 x 1030) (461 x 600).jpg
      71.6 KB · Views: 247
    • 10-14-2011 10;09;00 AM (460 x 600).jpg
      10-14-2011 10;09;00 AM (460 x 600).jpg
      64.1 KB · Views: 251

racinghoss

Missing Alaska
    Nov 3, 2008
    Overall, black bears are less aggressive than brown bears (Griz). However, if they attack you, they are more likely to kill you. Blackies attack with the intent to kill you and likely wont let up, like a brownie will.

Even brownies MAY run from a cat, or anything that startles them. However, dont count on it. Plenty of dead or disfigured folks out there from started bears. I'm sure that there are plenty of toy dogs in bear poop out there too.

If you have a repeat visiting bear to your bird feeder, grill, trash cans, etc...then you need to move or remove that stuff. That bear will only become more and more comfortable in your yard, which will only lead to bad things for you and the bear. Having a bear comfortable on your property is bad ju-ju. After the bird feeder is empty, it will look to your pets, cars, even your kitchen for its next easy meal.

Be smart about bears and they are very cool to observe, hunt, even eat.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Sooner or later, some average suburban soccer mom will do something stupid like getting between a momma bear and her cub, or thinking they can poke one with a stick to discourage it from eating from their trash. And what happens next won't be the bear's fault, but it ain't gonna be pretty.

Like that guy in Yellowstone. He got killed. "the bear responsible for the gruesome attack, is still at large" no shit, it's wild and in the wilderness.... When it happens you can be sure the reporting will be comical.

Can anyone post a good recipe?

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    There was a small black bear in someone's back yard in Laytonsville (MoCo) about a week ago. The footage looked like it was from a home security camera. A short clip was on Fox news.

Feb 3, 2012
    MOCO
    There was a small black bear in someone's back yard in Laytonsville (MoCo) about a week ago. The footage looked like it was from a home security camera. A short clip was on Fox news.

Thats close to home! I think I may need to acquire a bow if I'm going to do some covert suburban bear hunting though.

Kidding...poaching is morally and legally wrong.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    BradMacc82. I like the new avatar. Let's see the rest of the picture. Then we can get back to what ever we were discussing here. Sorry lost my train of thought looking at your avatar.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    BradMacc82. I like the new avatar. Let's see the rest of the picture. Then we can get back to what ever we were discussing here. Sorry lost my train of thought looking at your avatar.

That was the only part of the picture I needed to see... :D

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Black bears have lived in Washington County for years, I guess forever. They are reproducing and sightings are ever more frequent. You can bet they are moving into more populated areas as they are smart opportunists when it comes to food. This bear makes repeated trips to our compost pile and bird feeder. Contrary to what a recent post states, don't count on a sow black bear running her cubs up a tree then "bolting" from danger. Any bear will defend her cubs and you do not want to be anywhere near them.

That's a big blackie for Maryland. I wouldn't be too psyched about her and her cubs getting acclimated to feeding in the backyard.

There's a reason "A fed bear is a dead bear" has a ring to it.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    20 years ago there was a black bear in Montg'y Village and around the same time one had wandered down the various creeks of Rock Creek Park into NWDC.

adjusterr

Mar 28, 2011
    Indian Springs, Western MD

I just realized I need to correct my initial post. I said "This bear makes repeated trips to our compost pile and bird feeder". I meant to say.."MADE repeated trips" etc. The bear, not sure if a sow, knocked down the bird feeder on one occasion, stirred up the compost several times then showed up in the daytime for a photo shoot. Fortunately, for all concerned, the bear seems to have departed, haven't seen evidence since Summer, 2011. My regular use of my shooting range might have discouraged permanent residence. I live up on the side of a mountain range that runs from the Potomac river way up into PA and the bears seem to travel that range. Fortunately they don't seem to hang around. Here is a much smaller bear found sleeping in my back yard in 2010.

Attachments

• CIMG0548 (600 x 450).jpg
      CIMG0548 (600 x 450).jpg
      45 KB · Views: 121

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    A few years ago New Jersey tried to get a bear hunting season approved, they we're having quite a problem with bears in suburbia. There was some serious public outcry (PETA protests and whatnot) about getting a season approved, but they finally got one.

I'm aware of MD bear hunting in Allegany and Garrett Counties. Maybe we'll see one MOCO or Baltimore in a few years (if the population gets out of hand...). It would be nice to cross that off my bucket list.

In Moco or baltCo they ought to issue the bears people hunting permits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom