• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joseph87'

Nobama
    Dec 22, 2011
    Charleston SC
    is this regulated or non regulated? im unsure since it has no barrel cut out and doesnt appear to be a pencil barrel. school me on this please!

2d7hmk5.jpg

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I don't think that's a true HBAR, but it's up to the individual FFL Dealer to decide. Meanwhile, I'll bet the OP would like to know why R1125 doesn't like his.

I'm not an AR guy, but I wonder why anyone gets a carbine gas system with a 16" barrel. I'd get a middy. In fact, I just did.

R1125

Apr 11, 2013
    Frederick
    I bought back in Jan during the proposed Fed ban. That's why i paid too much for it.
    can't recall the FFL sorry. I have to look through my receipts..

Joseph87'

Nobama
    Dec 22, 2011
    Charleston SC
    I don't think that's a true HBAR, but it's up to the individual FFL Dealer to decide. Meanwhile, I'll bet the OP would like to know why R1125 doesn't like his.

I'm not an AR guy, but I wonder why anyone gets a carbine gas system with a 16" barrel. I'd get a middy. In fact, I just did.

school me on this

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Like I said, I'm not an AR expert. I think there's one over at Arfcom...

The military M-4 has a shorter barrel, I believe 14 1/2". The gas port location, and thus the length of the gas tube are optimized for that barrel length. The civilian carbines have barrels with about 1 1/2" added for NFA legal reasons, but nothing else is changed. To me, the "M-Forgery" looks a little odd with all that barrel hanging out there. The important effect is to increase the gas pressure in the system over time, or probably more likely, lengthen the pressure impulse.

The mid-length gas system, or "middy" has the gas port positioned a bit closer to the muzzle, in proportion to the lengthened civilian-legal barrel. This is supposed to result in a smoother recoil impulse. It also gives the gun better proportions, if that matters. Mid-length handguards are usually 9" long, compared to the Carbine's 7".

I really am not the guy to explain this stuff, because I'm not an expert. I hardly ever go to Arfcom. There are plenty of Carbine gas systems, and experts happily running hell out of them. But it makes sense to me to get the gas system which is optimized for a 16" barrel, and that's the Mid Length.

The people who know about this stuff are welcome to set me straight now.

R1125

Apr 11, 2013
    Frederick
    There is a lot of info on the gas systems. Take a look on ar15.com also.

I really do not like the rifle. Saying that look around for some better rifle's or build one.

That's why I am buying lowers now and building later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom