• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I just submitted my Form 4 for a .22 caliber suppressor (so I have plenty of time) and I'm considering my options
    for a .22 Rifle to use it on. After seeing the thread on the Winchester Wildcat I thought I bet there's plenty of
    .22s out there with threaded barrels. My first thought was a 10-22 but I already have one and I'm all
    about the diversity. A nice bolt action might be the way to go over semi auto?

What suggestions do you have? What should I avoid?

I'm already leaning toward a Ruger 22/45 Tactical to scratch the handgun itch.

Thanks!

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Ruger American Target or Ruger Precision Rifle if you wanted to stick with them for magazine compatibility. Otherwise I’d say CZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I like to stick with Ruger (or Ruger mag based) for mag interchangeability. I have multiple 10/22s and multiple rimfire bolt actions. As well as a handful of threaded 22 pistols. If you want to come shoot one sometime let me know. A $300 Ruger Rimfire American bolt with a can and 700fps subs is ridiculously quiet. Almost as equally quiet with CCI standard velocity as well (which is my gold standard/go-to). If you want truly stupid quiet, put a can on a bolt and shoot some Aguila Colibris. I seriously had to pull my bolt and check to see if the round even did anything after shooting it, as I audibly couldn't tell if it even fired.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Oh and, I have a threaded CZ 457 as well. Bolt is smoother then my Rugers, sure, but magazines are a pain in the ass to find.

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    I own a CZ 457, a Chiappa Little Badger, and a Henry Frontier Threaded for .22LR rifle suppressor hosts. For a handgun I have a Ruger SR22 that has about 22.5K rounds through it...been my go-to since the day I bought it. Can't go wrong with any of those, but the lever action Henry is absolutely the most fun...and how silencers were originally intended to be used. ;)

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Cz 457 is a great choice. A Bergara with a carbon fiber barrel or a Tikka. Any of these rifles will make you smile.

When I got my first rimfire can, I got a couple of rifles I already owned threaded. So I have a threaded Anschutz 54 Match and a couple of old Mossbergs. As well as the above.(Except sadly, no Tikka)

BTW, there is absolutely no reason to use the various quiet or silent offerings of .22lr. You don't need them in a bolt gun and they won't cycle a semiautomatic. Just make sure it stays subsonic out of your barrel so you don't get a supersonic crack

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    BTW, there is absolutely no reason to use the various quiet or silent offerings of .22lr. You don't need them in a bolt gun and they won't cycle a semiautomatic. Just make sure it stays subsonic out of your barrel so you don't get a supersonic crack

There is a audible difference between 700fps and 1000fps. Not huge though. Hence I stock up on just CCI SV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom