• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hattrick

Mar 7, 2013
    ok im looking to trick out my 1100 i was going to get a short slug barrel with exteneded mag, with shooting buck shot / slugs educate me smooth or rifled. I no this if i was deer hunting with slugs i want a rifled barreled but this is going to a all purpose gun, 00, bird shot, slugs.

Pirate

Mar 20, 2010
    If your going to shoot anything other than slugs you will need to have a smooth bore. The ideal situation would be have a rifled bbl for deer hunting and smooth bore for everything else. If you only have the money for a single bbl then get a smooth bore and Remington sells a rifled choke tube you can insert for deer hunting that will allow you to shoot sabots. Or you can use a improved cylinder choke and shoot rifled slugs. If you go with a single bbl you will need multiple choke tubes for each purpose. Thats the nice thing about choke tubes.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    If your going to shoot anything other than slugs you will need to have a smooth bore. The ideal situation would be have a rifled bbl for deer hunting and smooth bore for everything else. If you only have the money for a single bbl then get a smooth bore and Remington sells a rifled choke tube you can insert for deer hunting that will allow you to shoot sabots. Or you can use a improved cylinder choke and shoot rifled slugs. If you go with a single bbl you will need multiple choke tubes for each purpose. Thats the nice thing about choke tubes.

That's all you need to know right there for whatever an all purpose gun is.

I don't believe in the term "all purpose gun" it's either got a specific purpose or it just doesn't get used. You basically answered your own question with, "I no this if i was deer hunting with slugs i want a rifled barreled". The question is, Are you a Deer hunter or a paper-puncher ?

I guess what you have to ask yourself if you are going to put a scope on a gun to shoot shotshells...

My slug barrels are for accurate hunting of things on the ground. My smooth bores are for shooting things that fly. I don't use one for the other. If I had to protect my home I would grab whichever is first at hand and I ALWAYS have a loaded gun in my house. Usually a Muzzleloader, but, I can protect the home just fine with that too.

Basically what you want is a smooth bore shotgun to shoot shot / buck and shoot a common old school rifled slug. You're not going to hunt with this gun obviously if you're asking for a short barrel with shotshells.

shooting again

Feb 27, 2011
    Southern Illinois
    I've wondered about the practical aspects of using a muzzle loader for HD purposes. What concerns and preventive measures could one take about:
    1- Impact on the black powder from any oil coating on the inside of the cylinder to prevent rust? Does the oil degrade the BP and if so how long before you need to recharge to have high confidence it will ignite when it's supposed to?
    2- Similar question regarding possible impact on the cap from oil left on the nipple? Usually you snap a cap to clear the nipple after the gun has been stored. But if you do that then you leave corrosive residue inside the nipple. Seems like that would reduce the chance of successful ignition.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    My deer hunting shotgun is a Remington 870 with 18" rifled slug barrel with rifle sights. I don't use a scope as the areas I hunt don't require shots over 100yds with most being inside of 50 yds. If I am hunting an area that has the potential for longer shots, I just go to the muzzleloader. That said, I do have extra smooth bore barrels for the 870 for wingshooting. That is strictly in case I need a back-up or someone needs a loaner. That rifled barrel is a hammer. It shoots POA/POI out to 100yds with Remington 2 3/4" copper solids.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    If I remember from the BOX o truth, shooting shot out of a rifled barrel gives it a spread similar to a short barrel shotgun barrel due to the rifling increasing the spin on the shotcup.

Hattrick

Mar 7, 2013
    Yes im not going to use it for deer hunting. Its more of a tac gun HP or 3 gun if i get in to it. Ive never messed around with slugs or shot shells out of a rifled barrell. But i have pattern many many different coke tupes from variest brand of shot guns and choke tub manufactors with turkey loads and waterfowl loads. What kinda of accuracy should i expect with slugs in a smooth bore? I hear shooting buckshot out of a rifled barrel it gets kinda goofy

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I've wondered about the practical aspects of using a muzzle loader for HD purposes. What concerns and preventive measures could one take about:
    1- Impact on the black powder from any oil coating on the inside of the cylinder to prevent rust? Does the oil degrade the BP and if so how long before you need to recharge to have high confidence it will ignite when it's supposed to?
    2- Similar question regarding possible impact on the cap from oil left on the nipple? Usually you snap a cap to clear the nipple after the gun has been stored. But if you do that then you leave corrosive residue inside the nipple. Seems like that would reduce the chance of successful ignition.

First - I can set my ML in a corner of my gun locker room for a year and it will fire 12 months later. Keep the powder dry and it will never fail you. If you leave your ML powder and bullet in the bore when not being used ( this is considered unloaded ) I always run a light oiled patch down the bore after the bullet has been / was been seated. Oil = Wet. Wet Powder no go BOOM...

Second - You DO NOT FIRE A CAP to clear the nipple. You use a Nipple Pick to do that. If you leave the gun loaded and don't remember it is load and you fire a cap to clear the nipple to load it, for example, you can kill someone.

NEVER NEVER NEVER... EVER
    fire a cap to clear a Nipple. Besides firing a cap in the assumption you are doing something brilliant by "clearing the Nipple" is silly and you're not doing anything but adding more crap to the Nipple in which your point is to "clear" it in the first place. That's sort of like cleaning a clogged sewer pipe with a snake by jamming a roll of toilet paper down the clogged pipe first. The only thing firing a Cap is proving is if the Cap is good or not.

You also do not ever repeatedly fire caps until the gun goes boom either. You shove a Nipple Pick in the Nipple and then you apply another cap to fire it.

My Nipple Picks comes in a box of 100 for $1.00 at the store. I don't care if you use a Paper Clip, Sewing Needle, steel wire, or buy an actual Nipple Pick. If you own a Muzzleloader, the very first thing you should own before the Powder, Primer, or Bullet is a Nipple Pick. I use Paper Clips myself. They are strong and sturdy wire.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Yes im not going to use it for deer hunting. Its more of a tac gun HP or 3 gun if i get in to it. Ive never messed around with slugs or shot shells out of a rifled barrell. But i have pattern many many different coke tupes from variest brand of shot guns and choke tub manufactors with turkey loads and waterfowl loads. What kinda of accuracy should i expect with slugs in a smooth bore? I hear shooting buckshot out of a rifled barrel it gets kinda goofy

Guys have been killing Deer with Smoothbores and Rifled Slugs at 50 to 100 yards for decades. It's not necessarily "how accurate is the smoothbore or slug", but, the question is how accurate of a shooter is the guy pulling the trigger. My Uncle 30 years ago could hit a 3 gallon metal pail at 200 yards across the Tobacco field with a old Remington 870 and a old cliche Remington Slugger rifled slug. That man simply shot a lot of slugs in that gun across that field at that pail setting on that rusted out 1950 something car in the woods.

My point is, I bought my Nephew a Mossberg 500 20 gauge and sighted it in at 50 yards for him to Deer hunt with. His first slug gun for his first Deer hunting. I was driving tacks at 50 yards and wearing that center 3" circle out. He starts shooting and can't hit the 3" circle to save his ass. He needed some shooting training. Now he's a Deer killing machine with that Mossberg.

Basically, if you say you're not going to use it for Deer hunting, then you may be using it for shooting paper targets, but, it doesn't really matter if you're not shooting at a live animal because if you're not Deer hunting then you don't have a scope on it with shooting shotshells. At this point your are just praying for the best with slug accuracy theories.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    If I remember from the BOX o truth, shooting shot out of a rifled barrel gives it a spread similar to a short barrel shotgun barrel due to the rifling increasing the spin on the shotcup.

This is very true. Once you add rifled spin to the equation, shot will sling outward in a right hand / clockwise direction, and spread to the point where there is no pattern. You could be 20 yards away from a target with a 12 gauge shotshell and rifled barrel and never get a single pellet on the paper. It acts like a big fan.

Hattrick

Mar 7, 2013
    Well i can say that the shooter can do his part that im not worried about. My intenion was getting a smooth bore slug barrel with rifle sights. Just wonder what to expect on acuracy 3 shot 3 " group @ 50 or even a 100. I will be testing it anyway so ill figure it out. Then i may test it out on a few yotes.
    Thanks

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Well i can say that the shooter can do his part that im not worried about. My intenion was getting a smooth bore slug barrel with rifle sights. Just wonder what to expect on acuracy 3 shot 3 " group @ 50 or even a 100. I will be testing it anyway so ill figure it out. Then i may test it out on a few yotes.
    Thanks

You do have a ton of options out there for slugs with a smoothbore. Buy 5-6 different brands of whatever is more available and see how they perform.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    You do have a ton of options out there for slugs with a smoothbore. Buy 5-6 different brands of whatever is more available and see how they perform.

I'll save you the trouble - Remington Slugger or Winchester Super X. Both will give me 2" groups off hand at 50 yards out of an 18" smooth barrel. And I'm not a particularly good shot, nor do I shoot the gun all that much. It's my HD gun so I only break it out occasionally to stay familiar. Just my $0.02.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I'll save you the trouble - Remington Slugger or Winchester Super X. Both will give me 2" groups off hand at 50 yards out of an 18" smooth barrel. And I'm not a particularly good shot, nor do I shoot the gun all that much. It's my HD gun so I only break it out occasionally to stay familiar. Just my $0.02.

That might be very true, in your gun, however, any variance in the bore of the OP's gun might prefer another slug over the Slugger. Simply because your gun eats Sluggers fairly accurately does in no mean the OP can shoot the same slug and get the same accuracy. However, he's not hunting with it, so, it doesn't really matter.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Could be. I only own the Supernova and haven't put another barrel on it because Benelli wants like $350 per.

To the OP, I've also had good luck with Fiocci.

Stay away from the low recoil stuff though. That's all they allow at some of the indoor ranges and I could only manage 3-4" groups at 25 yards with those out of the same gun. Again, just my own experience and YRMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom