• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xcavater

Fed Up
    Oct 27, 2008
    MD
    I know that you can hunt from a boat.
    What about recreational shooting?
    Can I go out in the middle of the bay and shoot a rifle?
    I can use radar to keep miles away from anybody.
    Is this "if a tree falls in the woods"?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I know that you can hunt from a boat.
    What about recreational shooting?
    Can I go out in the middle of the bay and shoot a rifle?
    I can use radar to keep miles away from anybody.
    Is this "if a tree falls in the woods"?
    I know a handgun is a no-no, but a rifle, or especially a shotgun is likely different. Let me check to see what I can find.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    What are you planning on shooting at out on the water?

And I was under the impression that the rule for hunting from a boat was no motors... I know my nephew is planning on going out in his kayak after a Sika deer this year.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Years ago when I was a "Lusbian" I launched everyday out of Navy Rec in Solomons. I asked DNR the same thing about shooting rays, he was adamant about it, NO! He did say bow and arrow was fine though.

Prospector

Sep 1, 2008
    Don't have the foggiest idea on the rules for Maryland,but when I had a documented vessel and was going offshore I had a rifle,2 pistols and a double barrel shotgun.

Got boarded by the coast guard 2times and was given the high five??

I'm sure going offshore is alot different than cruising the bay.

Steve

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Before my unfortunate boating accident where all my firearms were lost, I used to use a shotgun. But if I recall, shotguns were ok but bullets can bounce off water depending on the angle of entry.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    You'll have to check the current law to be safe, but when I was taking out gunners for waterfowl, most notably sea ducks (always shot from the boat), the law was that one could not shoot while under power.

Regarding rifles or handguns, safety concerns must prevail.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Ok, the only think I can find is the hunting statute and even though you are not hunting, there is still a general law about having a loaded firearm on or in an automobile or other vehicle and it may still apply. However, what is the definition of "vehicle"?
    I do not know the definition and could not find it in the code, but in the Narutral Resources article where the hunting statute in question is, a "vessel" (boat) is mentioned and may not be a "vehicle".
    In any case, do not shoot rifles on the water unless you are in the open sea. A bullet fired from a rifle in the air at the ideal angle may travel three miles or so, but a bullet skipping on the water might travel even further like the cannon balls from sailing ships a few hundred years ago (some cannon had three mile ranges by skipping off the surface of the water).
    Even if you have no one to hit, you may hit a buoy and the Coast Guard absolutely hates that! (it is also a serious offense).

I personally would not shoot anything other than a shotgun on the water on the bay.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Don't have the foggiest idea on the rules for Maryland,but when I had a documented vessel and was going offshore I had a rifle,2 pistols and a double barrel shotgun.

Got boarded by the coast guard 2times and was given the high five??

I'm sure going offshore is alot different than cruising the bay.

Steve
    You may be lucky. Modern handguns can only be transported under certain situations in MD and that includes on the waterways.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    There aren't many places in the bay where you have enough room to even consider firing a rifle from a rocking boat. Sometimes while shark fishing offshore we will do some balloon shooting with the Ar's. I still keep a close eye on the radar and make sure nothing shows up within 30 miles.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    You may be lucky. Modern handguns can only be transported under certain situations in MD and that includes on the waterways.

I'm pretty sure you'll find that a boat with a cabin is considered an extension of your residence. From a tax perspective, you can deduct a mortgage on a boat the same as a house.

When I feel bored later tonight I'll see what regs I can dig up to support my claim.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I'm pretty sure you'll find that a boat with a cabin is considered an extension of your residence. From a tax perspective, you can deduct a mortgage on a boat the same as a house.

When I feel bored later tonight I'll see what regs I can dig up to support my claim.
    I hope you are right because this is one thing that has bothered me for a while.
    If someone lives on a boat, then that should be a bona fide residence IMO.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    If you are going to do it, do it right, its actually a centuries old method of waterfowl hunting in Maryland:D

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    There was a thread sometime back on this very subject over at Tidalfish. There were a variety of opinions put forth, a tiny bit of snark, but most people were polite overall.

http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/che...ard-maryland-angler/244783-packin-heat-9.html

One issue brought up was the use of pistols offshore to finish off huge sharks before one brings them aboard a boat. I added this little nugget at the Tidalfish thread regarding carrying loaded gun on a boat:

If you live aboard your boat, you should be able to legally pack being as the boat is considered your residence. As for packing on a center console or other day boat, it should be legal as long as you have a Maryland concealed carry permit which is virtually impossible to get in Maryland.

As for having an unloaded gun on board, that should be legal as long as the gun is unloaded and stored separate from the ammo and you are on the way to go hunting, shooting, or other lawful activity. For example, you could be on the way to a duck blind or you could conceivably be on the way across the bay to a range on the opposite shore.

The question of legality would be best answered by Maryland law enforcement, and the question would probably be better explored here:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom