Revolver options for female (with safety)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    We've considered those, although have not shot them yet..

We're thinking about a revolver just because the operation will be easier. And she won't have to struggle with racking the slide, magazines, jams etc etc.

Hammerless revolvers have a very stiff trigger pull. My GF can't keep the gun on target and pull the trigger. Just doesn't have the hand strength.
    And my little smith that fits her hand is so light it kicks the h out of her.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Girlfriend looking for a range gun, but she has tiny hands.

She is 4'10" (at best) and has tiny hands lol.

She has shot my Glock 19 and a Sig P226 9mm, but both being double stack the grip is kind of wide for her.

It makes it difficult to get good finger placement on the trigger, and to operate the magazine release. She also struggles a little with racking the slide.

We're considering trying her with revolvers, but looking for options so we can go rent something from a range.

She'd really like a safety for peace of mind, although I know most revolvers don't have a safety.

We'd also like to keep recoil manageable and something with relatively cheap ammo, so I'm guessing 9mm or .38

Purely a range gun, so does not need to be carried or concealed.

Any suggestions or ideas?
    My late wife was 4' 10" and had small hands also. She went for a Ladysmith 38 for protection. As for range shooting she found she could grip and shoot the 9mm Browning Hi-Power best of all our double stack guns, better than the HK or Sigs I owned at the time (although the HP slide is pretty stiff unless you put a low power spring kit in it). Also consider a .22 pistol. The best grip for small hands is either the Walther P22 or the Browning Buckmark UDX/URX framed models.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    SP 101 with .38 wadcutters.

The best low-recoil choice for a snubbie is the full wadcutter target load. They are slow, but will give you 18" of penetration and cut a nice, clean hole.

The power associated with the .38 Special +P round, including temporary wound cavity and all of that, is really somewhat wimpy. Penetration is more important with this round. Testing has shown that many .38 and .38+P rounds don't penetrate to the minimum 12" (Nyclad and Ranger-T) or don't open at all and over-penetrate (Winchester PDX-1).

With the standard wadcutter, you achieve the penetration while cutting a nice clean hole, and do so with very light recoil.

And they're inexpensive, to boot.

For a more stout option, the only round I'd trust to open almost every time is the Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel .38+P 135 grain. But they are pricey and can be hard to find.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Girlfriend looking for a range gun, but she has tiny hands.

She is 4'10" (at best) and has tiny hands lol.

She has shot my Glock 19 and a Sig P226 9mm, but both being double stack the grip is kind of wide for her.

It makes it difficult to get good finger placement on the trigger, and to operate the magazine release. She also struggles a little with racking the slide.

We're considering trying her with revolvers, but looking for options so we can go rent something from a range.

She'd really like a safety for peace of mind, although I know most revolvers don't have a safety.

We'd also like to keep recoil manageable and something with relatively cheap ammo, so I'm guessing 9mm or .38

Purely a range gun, so does not need to be carried or concealed.

Any suggestions or ideas?

I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but have you considered a pistol with a tip-up barrel like the Beretta FS 86? It would allow her to load a round without having to actuate the slide. I have one, and it's a really cool pistol.

Onua

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2008
    Carroll County
    Like many others have suggested
    SP101 or maybe a HK P7 (I know they are pricey)
    My girlfriend has small(ish) hands and has an issue with anything double stacked, she got to try a gen4 G19 with the small backstrap and fell in love with it.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Hammerless revolvers have a very stiff trigger pull. My GF can't keep the gun on target and pull the trigger. Just doesn't have the hand strength.
    And my little smith that fits her hand is so light it kicks the h out of her.

My factory-stock S&W 442 and 642 contradict that claim. My wife struggles mightily with most DA triggers, even the SP101, but has no problem with those J-frames. I agree 100% that the recoil on either J-frame ranges from harsh to brutal depending on the load. I guess this highlights why each person should try out a variety of options before buying.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    the thunder five has a big safety
    attachment.php

Ranger Tom

Jan 28, 2013
    Woodsboro MD
    Let her try as many pistols/revolvers as possible. And make sure that the one that she selects is the one that she is most comfortable with. I've been down this road with my wife and she purchased a Ruger LCR 38+P. And she's pretty good at 10 yards and under.

Gundahar

Sep 4, 2011
    The LCR may fit the hand, but it is a handful to shoot. I enjoy mine a lot, but 50 rounds at a time is more than enough for me.

Like a lot of people have said, an autoloader really is a better choice for someone with weaker hand strength--the mechanical operation eats a lot of that recoil instead of your wrist. Plus many have safeties.

Gundahar

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Continental Arms has a Gun Smoke customized snub nosed J frame S&W like the 442 and 642 but with a bobbed hammer. It has been polished with a trigger job, very smooth and easy. I can't remember the model number but if I didn't have a 642 I'd have bought it. It may have a safety lock like most S&W revolvers these days. They also have a couple of Lady Smiths. At least she could rent a 442 or 642 and try one for $5 before buying. They have a lot of revolvers for rent along with semis.

Ranger Tom

Jan 28, 2013
    Woodsboro MD
    The LCR may fit the hand, but it is a handful to shoot. I enjoy mine a lot, but 50 rounds at a time is more than enough for me.

Like a lot of people have said, an autoloader really is a better choice for someone with weaker hand strength--the mechanical operation eats a lot of that recoil instead of your wrist. Plus many have safeties.

Gundahar

A LCR was never intended to be a range gun. Shoot fifty rounds at a setting just to get to know it then switch to a SP101 or GP100 and blast away.:D

Gundahar

Sep 4, 2011
    A LCR was never intended to be a range gun. Shoot fifty rounds at a setting just to get to know it then switch to a SP101 or GP100 and blast away.

True enough, but it remains hard to get competant with a gun that you never shoot! If you ever plan to possibly carry it, you should train with it, imo.

Clearly I only use .38's! But for the OP, I don't think the LCR, nice as it is, is the answer. And I say that as a contented owner of one.

Gundahar

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Two suggestions - both S&W.

1. S&W Shield in 9mm. Will fit small hands easily, very minimal recoil.
    It does have a safety IF she so chooses to use it.

2. S&W mdl 19 4" (or stainless version is the mdl 66).
    Put a set of Pachmayr grip panels on it, and let her have at it.
    I've let several "wimmens" shoot this fantastic revolver, and none of them have had problems, especially shooting single-action. (My wife is 5'-2" and handles/shoots this quite well)
    The Pachmayr grip panels on this revolver are the open-backed version.

Loaded w/ 148 gr wadcutters, this grand old revolver is a "pooty-tat".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom