Response to Police questions during a search?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spoon

Oct 25, 2009
    Dundalk
    So if you give permission to a LEO for a search (hypothetically) and of course he'll ask if you have anything that'll "cut me, stick me or poke me" and you tell him that you have a small pocket knife and inform him/her of where its located on your person; What's the logical response to the question of why you have it even if its of legal carrying stats?

I tend to think that its a procedural question or at least an innocent question. So what's a procedural or innocent answer?

Just curious...

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    And let the disaster begin...........

Most Leo's don't care, we carry them too, we just briefly take it for safety. I give it back at the end of the stop.

Trust me 90% of what your telling me when you answer me ?s I don't care about. I'm doing/thing about something else.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    I need it to open plastic-shell packaging from Walmart!

:party29:

Of course most of the times I've talked with LEO in recent years it was either over Christmas dinner or at the range so it never really came up.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    OP, did this happen to you or are you just speculating about the question, "Why do you have a knife?"
    I've never, once, in 22 years, asked anyone that question.
    The obvious answer is, "To cut things."

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    never been searched or pat down before.. but personally.. i would inform him i do have a penknife in the pocket if he start patting me down. of course while moaning.. oooh yess. right there.. haaaaaaa

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I've never had anyone ask me if I was carrying anything or ask to search me or my vehicle. I couldn't imagine why they would want to, I'm not not do I look or act like a criminal.

bean93x

JamBandGalore
    Mar 27, 2008
    WV
    none of their business so i'd just be quiet and look stupid if i were you. because to me if they ask that, i think its a matter of personal opinion to the officer.

Spoon

Oct 25, 2009
    Dundalk
    2Sam22,

Well I typically carry a small folding knife with my... it has a clip so it stays right on my pocket where I don't have to search for it if I need to find it... and yeah I've consented to a superficial search by an officer a few months ago, but since I was only running out of the house to grab some food didn't bother taking it that particular time...

So I was just curious as to what the appropriate response would be... (yeah a lot of people have given me crap for allowing an officer to search me, but eh...) I might have posted this on here a when it happened but I probably didn't...

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    This past summer ridding my motorcycle through Kansas (West to East) on a rural road, I was stopped for speeding by a deputy for the local sheriff department. The officer requested my driver license and then returned to his vehicle. Of course he asked where I was coming from and why, typical questions. He then said "I am not interested in giving you a speeding ticket, but I am interested in drugs." Will you give me permission to search the bike (I have an Ultra Classic that has three hard bags.) I said "go ahead (that was dumb! dumb!)"

In the 1st saddle bag, he located an open bottle of my nightly medication :), open container is prohibited in Kansas. Completely forgot about the bottle when I gave him permission. In any event during the search, he informed me that I fit the current 'mule' description. White male in late 60's riding the back roads of Kansas heading east from New Mexico. I asked why and he said loss of pension and jobs, therefore they need the monies to pay mortgage etc. He overlooked the open bottle and let me continue on down the road.

Told the story to my friend who is a Deputy Chief for a local police force and he said "never give permission for a search, it is your 4th amendment right."

Learned my lesson.

Last edited:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    This past summer ridding my motorcycle through Kansas (West to East) on a rural road, I was stopped for speeding by a deputy for the local sheriff department. The officer requested my driver license and then returned to his vehicle. Of course he asked where I was coming from and why, typical questions. He then said "I am not interested in giving you a speeding ticket, but I am interested in drugs." Will you give me permission to search the bike (I have an Ultra Classic that has three hard bags.) I said "go head (that was dumb! dumb!)"

In the 1st saddle bag, he located an open bottle of my nightly medication :), open container is prohibited in Kansas. Completely forgot about the bottle when I gave him permission. In any event during the search, he informed me that I fit the current 'mule' description. White male in late 60's riding the back roads of Kansas heading east from New Mexico. I asked why and he said loss of pension and jobs, therefore they need the monies to pay mortgage etc. He overlooked the open bottle and let me continue on down the road.

Told the story to my friend who is a Deputy Chief for a local police force and he said "never give permission for a search, it is your 4th amendment right."

Learned my lesson.

Excellent example, thank you for sharing.

Nubz

Yankee Trash
    Mar 16, 2012
    I have actually been in this situation before(don't ask why or what I was young and stupid at one point yet never commited a felony or anything to do with drugs)

Cop asked me if I had any weapons I told him I had a pocket knife but I don't have it to use as a weapon

He was perfectly fine with it asked me where it was and took it out of my pocket
    then thanked me for being honest about it and gave it back when he was finished

Of course we all know this probably isn't the norm

Consenting to a search is where you start out wrong
    "no officer i do not consent to a search yet I will not try to hinder you doing your job" would be the correct answer

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I have actually been in this situation before(don't ask why or what I was young and stupid at one point yet never commited a felony or anything to do with drugs)

Cop asked me if I had any weapons I told him I had a pocket knife but I don't have it to use as a weapon

He was perfectly fine with it asked me where it was and took it out of my pocket
    then thanked me for being honest about it and gave it back when he was finished

Of course we all know this probably isn't the norm
    Consenting to a search is where you start out wrong
    "no officer i do not consent to a search yet I will not try to hinder you doing your job" would be the correct answer

Do we really all know that because I encounter people with knives everyday and this is my general response. Same with all the guys I work with. If your not weilding a sword and walking to times square with a a sign on your back that says, "I'm literally going to chop your face off". Then what would I care? Almost every male I know carries a knife for utilization as a tool.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Does anyone in this thread see the 3 cops, who all work in different jurisdictions, with their own different set of problems, and different "population" of people all saying to you that they wouldn't really care???

Am I the only one who is observing this?????

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom