• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikeasu

Feb 5, 2022
    Hello all,

Figured this is the year to start work on my first AR-15 - had the goal a while back (~12 years back when I lived in AZ) to build from parts, and something for more long-range/precision - 100-400yds. So, finally going to get started. I'd like to build from parts for the experience (not unlike building my own computer from components), so looking for advice. I think I'd like a Wylde chamber, so thinking a 20" wylde HBAR barrel (MD compliant). I think I can muddle my way through all of the rest - lowers and lower kits seem pretty much the same, although I may look for a better trigger. I like the idea of a collapsible stock with the 20" barrel (similar to the canadian M-16 variant, IIRC), and will probably still start with iron sights, then drop a scope on. I also like the idea of building a bit at a time - get the lower, then the parts kit, get that together, then start on the upper. Any specific recommendations or gotchas this forum could provide?

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    rifle-65g-psa.jpg
    If you want long range precision, then for a folding stock the Magpul UBR stock is a great choice where you get a very steady stock that also collapses. Pictured here is my 18" 6.5 Grendel build. OBTW - for longer range, 6.5 Grendel is a great choice. I like Aero Precision for the upper and lower receiver and either Aero or Midwest Industries for the free-floated handguards. I would recommend a Geissele 2-stage Super Semi Auto Enhanced (SSA-E) trigger. If you prefer single stage, then I recommend a Timney trigger.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    It's funny you'd ask...I'm getting ready to do an Olympic Arms C7-style rifle myself, and I was asking about barrels in another topic. (Mine will be styled after the original C7, not the later C7 variants, and the upper and lower will be Olympic Arms.)

At the moment, I think I'm going to be using a Rock River Arms 20" heavy barrel, which has a .223 Wylde chamber.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Spend the money on a good barrel(non chrome lined) and and fire control group. The rest can be mil spec or better, depending on the thickness of your wallet.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    OP not sure where you're located but I like Engage Armament stripped lowers/uppers (at Engage in Rockville) or Aero.
    Toolcraft phosphate coated BCG
    Geissele SSA-E or G2S trigger. A lower cost option is a Larue MBT trigger.
    Barrel, I've had good luck with White Oak Armory barrels.
    Free float hand guard of your choice

I would true the face of the upper and bed the barrel with Loctite 620

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Have a 16" White Oak with a 1:8 twist and it is the most accurate AR in my collection. Got it from Engage a while back. Haven't had the chance to shoot it past 200 yards though.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    "long-range/precision - 100-400yds"
    barrel, barrel, barrel - as in SS/match/varmint (.936")/lapped
    chambering - as in BR/ARC/Grendel-ish

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    OP not sure where you're located but I like Engage Armament stripped lowers/uppers (at Engage in Rockville) or Aero.
    Toolcraft phosphate coated BCG
    Geissele SSA-E or G2S trigger. A lower cost option is a Larue MBT trigger.
    Barrel, I've had good luck with White Oak Armory barrels.
    Free float hand guard of your choice

I would true the face of the upper and bed the barrel with Loctite 620
    I concur.

mikeasu

Feb 5, 2022
    I suppose the next question - I know I said I want to build one - what's the cost savings (if any)? Not averse to just buying outright, I'd have it to the range sooner, esp. if there really isn't much savings to building one from parts vs buying a complete rifle (or near complete).

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I suppose the next question - I know I said I want to build one - what's the cost savings (if any)? Not averse to just buying outright, I'd have it to the range sooner, esp. if there really isn't much savings to building one from parts vs buying a complete rifle (or near complete).
    Unless you have a good working knowledge of AR parts, good and bad, you'd probably be better off buying a quality rifle.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

So it’s not so much cost savings but you can build a better rifle that’s tailored to you. Not going to say it will cost the same but it will be a much better rifle assuming quality parts are used and assembled properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    I’d recommend a Centurion Arms 18” SPR barrel and BCG. I have the barrel on my MK12 build and it’s more accurate than I am on the trigger. Sub MOA without question. And they are MD compliant as well as offering HBAR engraving if you are so inclined. However, it is specifically chambered in 5.56 and is optimized for the 77gr OTM MK262 cartridge with a 1/7 twist. Definitely better for heavier (longer) projectiles.
    The rest of the parts I’d recommend getting from a known trusted source (local LGS if you have a business relationship with them, known internet dealers). Everything in my rifle was gauged through and built at a SOTAR class so I know and trust it’s as good as can be.

Attachments

• 4F8FC3FA-15C9-4115-9602-68CDDFBE78B6.jpeg
      4F8FC3FA-15C9-4115-9602-68CDDFBE78B6.jpeg
      747.9 KB · Views: 65

crtjebstuart

Oct 3, 2022
    Hagerstown
    i just completed my first ar build. i went through optics planet (opticsplant.com) and purchased areo precision parts (aeroprecisionusa.com). ive also purchased uppers from radical firearms (radicalfirearms.com) out of texas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom