• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I own a handful. Would be estatic to see the bottom drop out of their value if repealed. I would buy a LOT more after.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I use to think so but not really anymore. I own a M16 that will drop to about 1/30th of its value. I own a Mac which will drop to 1/10th of its value. I own three Maxims that may actually go up in value given that more people could own them and the value is historic and worldwide. However to be safe, lets 1/2 the current value. I would, without second thought, in one second repeal the NFA, the Hughes Amendment...etc.

think about it for a minute. my 100k investment would be worth a whole lot less if mgs were available again in mass. what would a pre-86 16k m-16 be valued at if new ones were available again for 2 to 3k for everyone?

There are now TWO legit bumpfire stocks on the market--one of them for $99.

That means a win-win-win for IMBLITZVT, for lee2, and for any aficionado of a 600 rounds per minute cycle rate.

Result: Real MGs keep their value because there is not enough support to repeal Hughes. Yet shooters, who don't need or want history or esthetics--but want synthetic full auto--can have it without a stamp, or registry, or travel restrictions, or custody issues, blah blah blah...

Last edited:

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    While the slide fire can be fun, it isn't the same, obviously.

Try one if you can find a buddy who has one and then see if you still feel that way. I think there might be a Bumpfire outing soon with members here who are purchasing them.

If you mean that you are not holding a piece of American history in your hand, true, it isn't the same.

However, there are tons of videos showing the bumpfire stocks performing at, or just below, an FA cycling rate. Alphabrew posted an impressive clip in a bumpfire thread here.

If you value privacy and that unmistakable cycling rate and sound--a cash purchase of a bumpfire stock at a gun show is the way to go.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    how many mg owners have chimed in?

Well there you go, you know have a significant portion of the MG owners on this forum agreeing that they would love to see the 86 ban or NFA die. None so far agreeing they want it to stay.

Frankly the only ones that may not like it are those speculating in the market. Even the dealers would go for it. Why sell a few dozen MGs a year when you can sell as many as you can find buyers? Look of course there are some who bought in for simply an investment that would see it that way. There are some that are using it as a retirement plan that may not like it. However having been in the MG group, which is not that large, I can tell you that I have run into very very few that would not like to see it overturned. Many feel the collection may actually go up in value was the market opens and demand increase with the increased interested in historical MGs.

However we have a precedent, the 94 AWB. Many people Pre-Ban Assault Rifles and High Cap mags when from being very valuable and prized, to being worth less than new and old. How long did we still see "pre-Ban" guns at inflated prices well after the ban died? Oh probably still some out there. A lot of people, more in quantity than MG owners, lost a lot of value there. However you did not see a large portion of those people wishing Bush to extend the ban! So while I see where you are coming from, in general I don't think the argument holds out to be true.

Try one if you can find a buddy who has one and then see if you still feel that way. I think there might be a Bumpfire outing soon with members here who are purchasing them....
    If you value privacy and that unmistakable cycling rate and sound--a cash purchase of a bumpfire stock at a gun show is the way to go.

I have shot the Bumpfire stock plenty on an AR15. I have owned Crankfire systems on my Belt Fed 1919a4 for almost a decade. I still feel the same way. They are still far from the real deal. When you look at the results in video, they may seem the same. However when you are pulling the trigger, its fairly different. Its kind of hard to explain but when you are firing a bumpstock, you are concentrating on trying to keep the gun firing. Accuracy and concentration on shooting give way to making sure you keep the system working. Its like driving a nice car at 80mph vs. driving a nice car at 80mph in the pouring rain. Its kind of the same but the one is much more enjoyable as you can sit back and enjoy the ride while having the being able to really take advantage of the machine you have in your hands.

Haha... Privacy... sorry thats extinct.

However I do agree, for $100 its hard to beat a bumpfire stock. I just don't think its a replacement for FA. Frankly I think these stock will be down to $50 in not to long! I might even get one.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Unless America returns to the mindset of the 1950s (i.e., the majority of Americans being adamantly pro-gun and personal responsibility), I can't see any scenario leading to repeal of any of the existing infringements on the Second Amendment. Moreover, as things currently stand, barring some cataclysmic event that jars some sense back into the voting electorate (or a national insurrection that flakes off the flakes), it seems far more likely that private ownership of firearms in the United States will go the way of the buffalo within 20 years. We may win a few court battles here and there, but the overall trend, I believe, is towards the leftist's [gun-free] "peaceful" utopia.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Unless America returns to the mindset of the 1950s (i.e., the majority of Americans being adamantly pro-gun and personal responsibility), I can't .....

Actually I have heard from those owning MGs in the 1950s, that it was very taboo. They were seen as Gangster wanabes. This is back when the Gangsters were not semi popular like they are now. That actually even with gun owners that MGs were looked down on. You figure the tax at that time was still unconstitutionally prohibitively high and no one sued to have the NFA tossed out on those grounds. No actually, I think the attack on guns have brought everyone to where the MG owners have been since 1934 and MGs are now more excepted in gun circles than they ever were before. Look even in 1986, the NRA sold the MG guys out with while telling Reagan to sign a bill that banned them, a clearly unconstitutional bill with that added in. I don't think they could do it today.

Frankly I would think you would have to go back to a time when there was warfare in this land for people to understand. I am sure the People of Baltimore from 1812 war would understand the need. I am sure the Southerns in the path of Sherman would get the idea too. As would the Founders. However we have long since lost the time when the best among us served the country as a duty. Without Statesman and in the era of Politicians... A good Government never has to fear an armed population...

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Unless America returns to the mindset of the 1950s (i.e., the majority of Americans being adamantly pro-gun and personal responsibility), I can't see any scenario leading to repeal of any of the existing infringements on the Second Amendment. Moreover, as things currently stand, barring some cataclysmic event that jars some sense back into the voting electorate (or a national insurrection that flakes off the flakes), it seems far more likely that private ownership of firearms in the United States will go the way of the buffalo within 20 years. We may win a few court battles here and there, but the overall trend, I believe, is towards the leftist's [gun-free] "peaceful" utopia.

The polls in the 1950s and 60s regarding a complete handgun ban showed that the public was overwhelmingly for it, for example.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    The polls in the 1950s and 60s regarding a complete handgun ban showed that the public was overwhelmingly for it, for example.

I don't know about polls, but, growing up in the early '60s, it was not uncommon for high school kids to carry their rifle to school by slinging it over their shoulder and no one batted an eye. Marksmanship was one of the electives in the Cub Scouts. I went with the kid that lived across the street to buy a revolver at the hardware store. I don't remember firearms being treated back then the way they're treated today. That was the point I was trying to make.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Well there you go, you know have a significant portion of the MG owners on this forum agreeing that they would love to see the 86 ban or NFA die. None so far agreeing they want it to stay.

However I do agree, for $100 its hard to beat a bumpfire stock. I just don't think its a replacement for FA. Frankly I think these stock will be down to $50 in not to long! I might even get one.

+1 against the 86 ban and NFA, I think a large majority would agree, Sorry LEE2

and lol I was wondering if you had a bumpfire. Yes repeal the Hughes Amendment.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I have yet to even see a MG
    Its a bit of a haul from Salisbury, but the MDTCA hold MG shoots ~2x a month at AGC. If you can also make it up on a Friday afternoon before the shoot, they are sometimes running a MG qualification (check the calender.) Something like $20 + a 100rds of factory brass cased .45 ammo and you'll get certified to shoot (and you'll shoot a Thompson!) Then come back any weekend the MDTCA is running an event and folks will often let you try theirs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom