• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    You're right that you are wrong. Maryland honors every other states' permit, just as Virginia honors Maryland permits under certain circumstances.

The influence of Interstate Commerce laws:
    http://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?path=/prelim@title15/chapter85&edition=prelim

http://wiki.marylandshallissue.org/index.php?title=Maryland_Handgun_Permit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Is it anyone, or just armored car drivers? I did not see a corresponding asterisk for the one after 'All States'.

Maryland Recognizes The Following States' Handgun Permits

All States* (Armored car drivers who possesses a valid permits from other states, who are on duty in Maryland).[6]

6. Source: 15 U.S.C. §5902 (a) Armored Car Industry Reciprocity Act & Md. PUBLIC SAFETY Code Ann. § 5-305.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    That would be Armored Car crews, while conducting the transport of money & other valuable items, in the course of Interstate Commerace ( subject to some minor fine print in the Federal statute). And Virginia based River pilots ( as defined in Md statute).

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Nothing on the Senate side, which to me is a good thing. We'll see a Senate Bill eventually, but the later it comes the better.

The only way this gets out of the Senate is via an amendment offered up to a high-stakes bill where the rules are suspended such that each side gets a certain number of straight up/down amendment votes (no filibusters allowed). The respective party leaders get to chose which amendments get offered. So it'll come down to where the GOP leadership sees their priorities.

Trust me, with as much money as the Congress is going to spend this year, the GOP will have plenty of chances to put up amendments for 2A protection. Whether they do or not is really going to come down to how hard we push them, and how many of our folks know the flim-flam when we see it. The GOP loves "show bills" that make us red hot mad (at Dems) when they are blocked. But rarely do we hold them to account and say, "I know you can force it so you better push it through."

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Still a lot of republicans sitting on the side line. :sad20:

I'm not sure if it's just because they haven't reviewed the bill yet (keep in mind the reciprocity bill last session was getting Co sponsors throughout the year) or perhaps this particular version has them iffy about it.
    Last year's version was basically the same that passed in 2011 with 272 votes IIRC.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• gov.JPG
      gov.JPG
      33.2 KB · Views: 351

TheRussianNightmare

Sep 17, 2012
    I don't understand why this would be so difficult to pass. Doesn't the bill only need a simple majority in the house and senate? Are there anti 2A republicans? Will it get stuck in a partisan committee?

What am I missing? Is it just that the republicans are giant pussies, and will not push through conservative ideology?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    No. Senate passage requires 60 votes. We need 8 Dems to vote for it. That's the wild card with this. Can we find 8 Dems from Trump states whose seats are in jeopardyin 2018 to cross the aisle?

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    I don't understand why this would be so difficult to pass. Doesn't the bill only need a simple majority in the house and senate? Are there anti 2A republicans? Will it get stuck in a partisan committee?

What am I missing? Is it just that the republicans are giant pussies, and will not push through conservative ideology?

No. Senate passage requires 60 votes. We need 8 Dems to vote for it. That's the wild card with this. Can we find 8 Dems from Trump states whose seats are in jeopardyin 2018 to cross the aisle?

So there are multiple issues here, but the TL;DR version is, "The GOP could make this law if they wanted to make it law."

Pro-2A bills can become law by attaching them as amendments to "must pass" bills. In the case of this Congress, you will see some serious infrastructure money trading hands. Dems want that money, and they will take the strings the GOP attach to it.

But, aren't amendments also subject to filibusters? Eh...not on the big bills.

Here's how it works:

1. Bill $$$ spending/authorization bill needs to pass for some reason or another.
    2. Everyone wants in on the bill, and wants to attach their special amendment on it, usually because the bill won't otherwise pass.
    3. Filibuster of amendments...or not. You see the minority party also wants amendments to attach. So they...
    4. Broker a deal with the majority where each side is allowed 2/4/6/10 amendments that are guaranteed a straight up/down vote, under a suspension of the rules. That means those amendments cannot be filibustered.
    5. Votes commence, and hilarity ensues.
    The leadership in each party decide what amendments are included in the sausage-making party. It's usually high-priority stuff.

Here is why National Reciprocity is not "high-priority" for the GOP:

• A lot of GOP establishment types don't like "gun people".
    • Senate mid-terms are due in 2018, and with the right turnout the GOP can pick up Senate seats sufficient to force cloture on a filibuster. Pure power, right there.
    • The GOPe uses gun issues as a way to drive votes and donations.
    • If Reciprocity passes today, then under the GOPe theory there is zero reason for "gun people" to show up and vote, or to donate resources to the GOP.
    The only way reciprocity passes is if we The People call them on their ******** when they say, "If it weren't for those darn Democrats, we'd have it. Now why don't you open your wallets and help us win in 2018?"

There will be bills. They will allow amendments. It will be up to us to force our way into those votes.

Oh, and if anyone thinks the NRA hasn't played this same game they are nuts. You'll need to squeeze a lot of pressure points this year to forward your civil rights.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

Joe Donnelly D Ind.
    Martin Heinrich D N.M.
    Heidi Heitkamp D N.D.
    Joe Manchin III D W.Va.
    Jon Tester D Mont.
    Tom Udall D N.M.
    Mark Warner D Va.

These 7 voted in 2013 for the previous version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom