• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Not sure this is the right forum, but here goes.

After long reading about the wonders of this stuff on the Smith & Wesson Forum, I found some on Amazon for around $14 for a 200 ml can (much cheaper than usual), under $20 shipped. It came yesterday, and I've done three of my S&Ws.

So far, it's everything people on the S&W Forum claimed. It's very firm, so it's easy just to get a thin coating on a fingertip and apply it directly to the gun. I take the grips off first and do them separately so I can get at the grip frame underneath. The stuff dries almost immediately, and then you just buff off with an old t-shirt or other soft cloth. I use cotton swabs on the hard-to-reach places.

The stuff gives that S&W blue an amazing deep sheen, cleans away subtle discolorations or streaks and even de-emphasizes fine surface scratches. It's claimed that it doesn't show fingerprints, and that seems to be true. Supposedly it also makes the gun easier to clean after you shoot it - I'll have to see about that later.

This is probably not what you need for your AR or AK, but for those with old-fashioned blued, nickle or even stainless guns, it might be worth trying. I'm glad I did.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Rennaissance Wax is awesome! I've used it on guns, as well as when I collected 19th century cameras. I also volunteered at the Smithsonian for a few years and they use it extensively on metal and plastic objects. I believe it's used exclusively on their vast gun collection.

Awesome stuff. Just make sure you don't put it on too thick. Less is really more with this stuff.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    What you guys said. I first discovered it on rimfirecentral.com. Highly recommended by a guy who makes and restores furniture as well as being an avid shooter. A little goes a long way. OP got a great price. Use in England on expensive antique furniture. No greasy feeling and no finger prints. Sorry I ever bought into the Howards Feed n Wax at one point.

Jul 1, 2012
    This is the best stuff ever for high-polish finishes like early Colts. It won't give a shiny finish to rougher surfaces but then again, you don't necessarily want that anyway. For the charcoal blued Colts it seems to take 2-3 thin applications to get a nice even glow. I try to never let bare skin touch these, as even minute traces of skin oils and acids will attack the fragile Colt finish.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    me too! I've been using it for a while. Great for handguns and my C&R rifles, but it doesn't seem to "polish" the same way on the typical modern AR finish for some reason.

Because they are not polished finishes, or blued. Just a black finish. Can't polish a pigs ear. I just wipe with oil. Assuming you mean the metal. Rough plastic won't polish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom