• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    OK, early on, when doing some reloads that I did not want to shoot, I pulled the bullet and recovered the powder and tossed the bullets. (the Factory Crimp die crimp was WAY too much). So, then left with a casing and a live primer About a dozen of them.
    Is there any other way to remove a live primer other than to shoot them out?
    I took them to the range and shot them out one at a time, then cleaned the bore with a bore snake before shooting some surplus.
    I thought it was a good experience to hear what a primer only would sound like. Not that it took that long to do, just curious if there was any other way to remove the primers w/o being dangerous.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Just an idea: Soak them in water to render them inert and press out w/ the depriming die?

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Resize deprime slowly. Done it numerous times.

Or resize without the deprimer.

^^^This, although I don't recommend that you remove a live primer by this method.
    (How's that for a disclaimer!!??)

Personally, I'd chamber each empty (but primed) case and 'pop' the primer in the basement or back yard, then reload, normally.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    ^^^This, although I don't recommend that you remove a live primer by this method.
    (How's that for a disclaimer!!??)

Personally, I'd chamber each empty (but primed) case and 'pop' the primer in the basement or back yard, then reload, normally.

nicely done sir.. I should have put a disclaimer on mine too..

but in reality.. you are pushing the back part of the anvil of the primer. do it SLOWLY.. with safety glasses on of course..:D

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Pull the decapping pin and size, load and shoot.

Or just load and shoot them.

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    I usually de-prime as normal. I've never had one pop while de-priming a case.

In the winter, it is fun to use those primed cases as "cookie cutters" in a pan of wax about 3/8" deep. Load'em and practice your fast draw at a piece of card board in the basement.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Pull the decapping pin and size, load and shoot.

Or just load and shoot them.

the op said he crimped the casing more than necessary.. I would suggest to resize first. just to make sure the bullet seats snug.

I've tried to reseat the bullets before and no luck of having a snug fit of the bullet to the case.

Llyrin

Yankee-Rebel
    Mar 14, 2009
    Charles Co
    I've accidentally popped the primer using my Lee press numerous times - no issues. I typically resize all casings then use the Autoprime to seat the primer. Once in a while I slip up and run the casing through the sizing die again and have to hunt around the floor to locate the primer when it falls out.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    What ix1x said.

Sooner or later you'll end up with a need to deprime a live primer for a variety of reasons. If it's simply to resize the case, raise the decapping pin out of the way. If the live primer needs to come out completely, push the primer out very gently and slowly while resizing the case. Of course you can just fire off the primers too.

If I intend to reuse the primer I wrap some shop towels around the press ram to catch the primer. Waste not, want not.

If you reload long enough you'll need to deal with a primer seated backwards. Same removal procedure applies. The primer will have a dimple, but no worse than what an unfired round would look like cycled thru an AR or other firearm with a free-floating firing pin..

One of the best methods I've found of rendering live primers inert is a little Coleman fuel in a plastic coffee can. Drop the primer in and put on the lid. In a day or two you can flatten with a hammer if you like, but it will no longer go bang.

In 25 years of reloading I've never inadvently set of a primer.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I have deprimed good primers in both rifle and shotshells using my presses and depriming as usual. As long as you're not scratching the primer with a sharp object on the compound side or on the striking end you'll be just fine. I have deprimed a lot of runs that had some issue not created by me and always reused the primers. Some where just incorrect sizing with the die like you stated.

wgttgw

Apr 10, 2011
    Cambridge
    Like said already just de-prime with some care and common sense. The only thing I would add is, if your press has a spent primer containment system I would remove that before de-priming multiple cases. One primer set off inadvertently not so big of a deal. Unlikely to happen, but one primer setting off multiple primers located right at the level of a sensitive area of the body is not my idea of fun.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    the op said he crimped the casing more than necessary.. I would suggest to resize first. just to make sure the bullet seats snug.

I've tried to reseat the bullets before and no luck of having a snug fit of the bullet to the case.

I have done it both ways.

I haven't had a bit problem in most cases. YMMV It depends on how used tghe case is. If it is fairly new or recently annealed, it will probably work. And older, well used case, maybe not so.

Load a couple and see how it works.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Wondered this too, thought that a slow deprime/resize would do the trick. I have a handful of cases where the primer wasn't seated enough, fired twice with no luck, pulled the charges and now I have to deprime/cleanup the primer pockets and reprime those cases.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    I reuse them, even the ones that were seated upside down and which have a dimple in them(look like they've been fired). I've even had some fall apart i.e. the anvil fell out and I carefully seated them. Most of them went bang.
    I would not use them for match ammo, but for plinking fodder, reusing them solves the disposition problem.
    DocAitch

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I like the idea of soaking except I'd like to avoid water in the press. Would soaking deactivate the primer or would it work after it's dried out? For right now I'll shoot them at the range. I don't think I need to recycle primers to save money. I'm not that thrifty :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom