• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Adams74Chevy

Hits broadsides of barns
    Oct 3, 2007
    Carroll Co.
    I need to get the cosmo our of my yugo sks stock... I'm temped to used the dishwasher but I don't want the cosmo going in my septic system, if I was on sewer I wouldn't care, but I don't want to eff up my septic. Also I don't have the space to keep a cosmo coffin right now. I also fear the wife's reaction to using the oven and cosmo odor floating about. Any hints or tips?

Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    There really is no true way to get the cosmo out you should just give it to me and I will properly dispose of it for you :D

TOWcritter

Self Sufficent Sovereign

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Try over a gas grill, with a sheet of foil to catch the drippings. The cosmo will bubble out and you will have to keep wiping it off. Use very low heat or you will warp the stock.

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    i have seen a box made to hang the stock in that had a 100watt light bulb for heat. insulated worked better. use a catch tray. also do it in the garage or outside shed

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    6" PVC pipe capped at one end, insert stock and fill with hot water? pros? cons?

It would have to be reallllly hot, it would still need to be scrubbed, and when you pull it out of the water , it will begin to flash rust really fast.

The light bulb methos was going to be my next suggestion. I have a 2x4 with 4 bulb holders in it. Line a box or trash can with aluminum foil, or use a metal trash can.

Adams74Chevy

Hits broadsides of barns
    Oct 3, 2007
    Carroll Co.
    I'm thinking I'll call my dad and see if he's got the wood stove up and running and set it near it and wipe it off every 15-30 minutes. He hasn't fired it up due to dr.'s orders not to lift practically anything for 4 weeks. I'd like to use the light bulb method but am limited on space till we get our house built next summer.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I've heard that burying the stock in unscented (i.e. cheap) clay cat litter, and putting it in a really hot place works really well; the clay wicks all the cosmoline out of the wood.

I have a 4" PVC pipe, capped on one end, that I've decosmolined barrelled actions in... I've never dunked a stock in it though, although I did run one through a dishwasher once. It worked surprisingly well.

ItsGarand

-> TEUFELSBERG <-
    May 28, 2008
    Annapolis, MD
    I believe my dad said when he was in the army they had two barrels of boiling water - one plain and one with saop. A dip through each barrel did the job.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I'm thinking I'll call my dad and see if he's got the wood stove up and running and set it near it and wipe it off every 15-30 minutes. He hasn't fired it up due to dr.'s orders not to lift practically anything for 4 weeks. I'd like to use the light bulb method but am limited on space till we get our house built next summer.

I forgot about that. I've done it this way too. But it was a pellet stove, so it blew hot air out. I set 2 stocks on a chair right in front of the blower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom