• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hughmon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2008
    My lunch-time project yesterday was to replace OEM stock on my 870 with a Blackhawk Spec Ops stock. The package came with a surprise, a matching forend that I would like to try.

Any suggestions on replacement of the forend would be appreciated. One wrinkle, I believe is that a spanner wrench is needed for the removal of the forend. Do I need a special tool, or is there some reasonable alternative available?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    My lunch-time project yesterday was to replace OEM stock on my 870 with a Blackhawk Spec Ops stock. The package came with a surprise, a matching forend that I would like to try.

Any suggestions on replacement of the forend would be appreciated. One wrinkle, I believe is that a spanner wrench is needed for the removal of the forend. Do I need a special tool, or is there some reasonable alternative available?

The short answer is yes there is a tool to remove the fore end nut.

When I bought my Surefire fore end light, it came with the tool used to remove the nut. I'd bet a gunshop could do this for you if you don't have the tool. Maybe someone here on MDS could lend you one.

hughmon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2008
    The short answer is yes there is a tool to remove the fore end nut.

When I bought my Surefire fore end light, it came with the tool used to remove the nut. I'd bet a gunshop could do this for you if you don't have the tool. Maybe someone here on MDS could lend you one.

Thanks, I was hoping to avoid purchasing a new tool that I would only use once or twice.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I made one out of PVC pipe, similar to the one Kohburn made out of copper, but also have removed them with needlenose pliers spread out wide enough so the points can grab the 2 recesses in the forearm nut. You also have to make sure the forend holds the tube and action bar peice straight, sometimes they allow it to move around side to side. I put a couple plastic shims in on either side of the front of the bars where they meet the forend in order to keep it lined up stright as the nut is tightened, and to keep the forend from rotating off center after it is installed.

Sep 16, 2009
    I replaced an 870 forearm the other day. I made a simple tool to remove the nut. All you need is a piece of 1 1/4" by 1/8" by 6" flatstock metal available at any hardware store. You can turn it by hand or use an adjustable wrench or vise grips. My forearm nut was very tight. The flatstock will fit into the notches of the nut. You need to remove the forearm assembly from the shotgun beforehand but you will need to do that anyway to replace the forearm.

Attachments

• rem.jpg
      rem.jpg
      83.9 KB · Views: 1,449

hughmon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2008
    Kohburn great idea, and thank you very much for posting pictures. They are worth a thousand words!

Alucard, Thanks PVC pipe is an interesting idea. I guess it would be pretty difficult to scratch the finish. Does the PVC hold up to more that a couple of uses?

hughmon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2008
    I replaced an 870 forearm the other day. I made a simple tool to remove the nut. All you need is a piece of 1 1/4" by 1/8" by 6" flatstock metal available at any hardware store. You can turn it by hand or use an adjustable wrench or vise grips. My forearm nut was very tight. The flatstock will fit into the notches of the nut. You need to remove the forearm assembly from the shotgun beforehand but you will need to do that anyway to replace the forearm.

Another outstanding idea, thank you!

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS

I never had to remove the forearm assembly to replace my grip.

never thought to try removing the whole assembly.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I never had to remove the forearm assembly to replace my grip.

never thought to try removing the whole assembly.
    Not necessary if you have "the" tool or a tool that will pass down over the magazine tube and the nut isn't supernaturally tight.

Many improvised methods may require removal, and if the nut is extremely tight, corroded in place or sealed in place with stock finish, it's best to remove the assembly anyway and support the arms in a vise.

Ieatpeople

Dec 15, 2009
    Here is the best idea yet!!! If you stop by I will swap it out for you for free!!!

i will have to take you up on that, just recieved my collapsible stock and matching forend, and was contemplating how to remove that nut. when i come up there to pick up my Walther, i will bring my 870 with me.:D

rwatson

Feb 7, 2012
    Baltimore, MD

Brilliant! I ran into an issue earlier trying to swap out the forend on my 870. Looks like I'll be visiting the hardware store tomorrow!

ThunderGunder

Jan 1, 2013
    I just place a flat screwdriver flat aginst the nut and man up on it. no special tools, no trip to the hardware store. Its worked for me everytime, and from the factory they are pretty stinkin tight!

rwatson

Feb 7, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    I tried to use pliers as a few places suggested but it wouldn't budge. I didn't want to f anything up. The damn thing is on there so tight.

eddy8888

Jan 28, 2013
    La Plata, Maryland
    Now that is how to get someone to come back and bring his friends.
    Customer service at it's best.
    OK where is your shop?
    PS I made one out of pipe using file.

JWBanshee

Jul 1, 2009
    I made one out of a piece of 1" EMT conduit and a grinder, took about a Half an hour. worked like a champ, I could mail it to you if you want , just send back when you are done with it.
    JW

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom