• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CSS

Nov 30, 2012
    Thought I'd share my most recent purchase. Bought a Remington 700 .308 ADL (Varmint) on Black Friday from Dick's in Lexington Park.

Since then, I've swapped out the scope and stock. I'll eventually add a Harris bipod.

Choate Tactical Stock
    Factory 26" Heavy Barrel
    Factory X-Mark Pro Trigger
    Redfield Revenge Hunter 3-9x42mm Scope
    Leupold base and rings

Attachments

• IMG_20130206_195413.jpg
      IMG_20130206_195413.jpg
      67.8 KB · Views: 723
    • IMG_20130206_195312.jpg
      IMG_20130206_195312.jpg
      59.9 KB · Views: 767
    • IMG_20130206_195341.jpg
      IMG_20130206_195341.jpg
      81 KB · Views: 703

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Nice! I bought an OD green one from Dicks about 3yrs ago. It came with a Remington 4-12x40 scope. The first time I shot it I couldn't believe it. With Federal 150 gr soft points out of the red n gray box from wal mart, the thing put 3 shots into the size of a nickel at 100 yds. I didn't expect that from a sub $500 rifle with a junk Chinese Remington labled scope and factory cheapo ammo. My fiance's uncle was amazed as well and wanted to work up some loads to try to get me in the "dime". I have taken a deer and a ground hog with it and shot steel targets out to 200yds...I love it. One if these days I will put a real scope and mounts on it.

CSS

Nov 30, 2012
    Had a chance to shoot it last month with the factory stock at 50 yards after laser bore sighting (50 yards recommended by Redfield). Definitively accurate at that short distance, but I'm looking forward to 100 yards and further. I agree with everyone about the trigger, it sucks, but I'll try adjusting the pull weight of the X-Mark Pro before replacing it. I'll need to do a little more research on that. Only looked at the Timney so far.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Presumably the choate was purchased to replace the shitty ADL stock, but only temporarily while you saved up for a manners or mcmillan or AICS?

CSS

Nov 30, 2012
    Presumably the choate was purchased to replace the shitty ADL stock, but only temporarily while you saved up for a manners or mcmillan or AICS?

:sly: I'd like that to be the case, but not anytime soon. I might revisit it in the future if I do the BDL conversion. I would have liked to have found an HS Precision or Bell and Carlson honestly. Everywhere I looked was sold out though. Didn't think I'd ever buy a Choate, but I took a chance on this. It feels like a quality piece. Definitely better than the shitty ADL stock.

CSS

Nov 30, 2012
    They have a forward swivel that is in a channel. You can adjust elevation on the bipod by loosening it, sliding forward or backward and locking it back down.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

That is correct.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360256997520.jpg
      uploadfromtaptalk1360256997520.jpg
      86.6 KB · Views: 432

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    I'm a rifle newbie so please go easy on me. What's the difference between the ADL, BDL and CDL? I've been looking at the 700 SPS Tactical but I just can't spend that much. I was looking at the ADL and I like what the OP did. I want something to target shoot but nothing too far away like 700 yards. I couldn't hit a skyscraper at those distances :D

Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011
    Pretty badass, I like! How far have you shot so far with it? I am also looking at a 700 or 10Fp long distance budget build.

Vid would be cool!

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I'm a rifle newbie so please go easy on me. What's the difference between the ADL, BDL and CDL? I've been looking at the 700 SPS Tactical but I just can't spend that much. I was looking at the ADL and I like what the OP did. I want something to target shoot but nothing too far away like 700 yards. I couldn't hit a skyscraper at those distances :D

Depending on what you want to do with it as time goes on, your wants/needs will guide you as you decide if you want a heavy barrel or not. I picked up my 700 SPS Varmint at Gander Mountain in Washington PA as part of a combo pack about a year or 2 ago. My purpose was to have a medium range precision rifle that wasn't going to break the bank, easily found replacement parts, easily found mods, etc... so I could do load development for it in my free time.

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Depending on what you want to do with it as time goes on, your wants/needs will guide you as you decide if you want a heavy barrel or not. I picked up my 700 SPS Varmint at Gander Mountain in Washington PA as part of a combo pack about a year or 2 ago. My purpose was to have a medium range precision rifle that wasn't going to break the bank, easily found replacement parts, easily found mods, etc... so I could do load development for it in my free time.

That sounds like the exact thing I'm looking for. What model SPS did you get and can I ask how much? I don't want to break the bank either. I'd like to put a decent scope on it and just have some fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom