• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    They're saying not to use the rifle.

Safety Warning/Recall Notice
    Its a potential safety thing. Originally .17HMR was designed only to be used in bolt guns due to pressure. The ammo first came out hotter than it was originally rated to be. So some semi makers panicced, maybe or maybe not for good reason. Remington will redo it in .22WMR if you want. Many just keep it like it is. If you do, the concensus is you have to clean it a lot more because keeping it clean seems to prevent any rounds going off and damaging the gun or you. You can check the RFC site under the 597 subforum for more info. You have to decide how much your body is worth.
    Custom VQ 10/22s in .17HMR use a heavier bolt handle to slow the bolt down. You can buy one for the 597 from the Blackthorne:

http://blackthorneproducts.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=24&products_id=549

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    The only thing they offer is to convert it to 22WMR. Probably a reaction from the bean counters in the legal department. They may have a point but all the time I have been a part of the 597 subforum on RFC I have never heard of anyone being hurt from an issue with a .17HMR 597.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    I had mine reluctantly converted to 22WMR. My 597 in 17HMR was a tack driver, but being that my daughters really like shooting this gun, I figured it was not worth the risk. They covered shipping both ways so it cost me nothing but not having the gun for a few weeks. I have not had an opportunity to shoot it since being converted.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    In my experience, split cases are as common as grass on a lawn when shooting 17HMR. For every case that didn't split, three or four split.

I no longer own or shoot 17HMR guns. ;)

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    I no longer own or shoot 17HMR guns.

I have not heard of any problems with bolt actions? I had a Sh!t pile of 17HMR when I had my 597 converted to 22WMR so I purchased a Marlin bolt gun in 17HMR with the bull barrel that I have not had to the range yet.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I have not heard of any problems with bolt actions? I had a Sh!t pile of 17HMR when I had my 597 converted to 22WMR so I purchased a Marlin bolt gun in 17HMR with the bull barrel that I have not had to the range yet.

17HMR cases can/will split in any gun, regardless of action type. Action type made no difference for me. My concern over the number of split cases in multiple guns and the extent to which some cases split (and often wedged in the chamber) is what motivated me to sell what I had.

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Thanks for the heads up! I will keep and eye on it when I get to the range. BTW, I never had a problems with the 597 when it was barreled in 17?

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Depends on how accurate the chamber is milled. 17HMR Savage rifles reportedly suffer much less than others because the chamber dimensions are consistent and very accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom