• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StanleyG

Feb 27, 2011
    MontCo and Balt Co
    I took Mike Bruzdzinski's introduction to shotguns/trap class yesterday. The best part was shooting 4 rounds of trap ( 100 shells) . This was my first time ever handling a shotgun and boy was it fun !!!! Hands down beats shooting stationary bull's eye . I tried Mossberg pump and Stoeger o/u . I did much better with the pump , but it left me with a nasty bruise on my shoulder.

So I did some research and looks like a 12 ga Remington 1100 would work fine for a beginner and if i want to try double trap or a skeet in the future I could also use it for that. Also looks like I may need a modified stock and a 33' barrel for it. I am also on a budget .. so don't want to spend too much.

Does anybody have any experience with those ? Suggestions ? tips ?
    Maybe someone have a used one they're trying to get rid of ?

thanks

Last edited:

Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn
    i'm using a "similar" shottie as the remy 1100.. the beretta al391... with a 28" barrel... no need for a 33"....

i use it for everything.. trap/sprting clays... skeet... 5 stand.. wobble... may not be "ideal" but it does the job.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Im a big Remington 1100 fan but I think a Benelli or Beretta auto will suit you better. The remington 1000 is what I would call a high maintenance gun if fired alot. Trap and Skeet guys tend to shoot alot.

If you on a budget and cant afford a expensive auto you could bet a CZ or Ruger O/U

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    get some shoulder padding for now is my suggestion.. save up some and get a good trap gun (if you want to compete).. but regular fun shooting.. stick w/ your pump mossy. :)

tigmaned

Feb 25, 2007
    Crofton
    go to trapshooters.com always a nice gun for sale there!! Beretta's just feel better to me...
    11-87 i set up for trap, it just felt to small in my hands??

Last edited:

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I have an 1100. There are specific guns for hunting, trap, skeet and clay games. I am new into clays, so I just went for a shotgun that I could change chokes on and it does ok, but it's not the "ideal" tool

I went here and got a Remington 1100 Field for $300: http://www.nwpawn.com/guns.htm It had a full choke barrel, then I went to Gun Connection and bought a RemChoke barrel for $250. For $550 I think I did ok.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    There are great buys out there on used 1100 Trap Guns. I just sold a clean Comp model for $500. They are built for the game. Stocked right and 30" Full is the usual gun. They do require preventative maintenance, but nothing major and they do require cleaning. The Beretta 391 Trap is a better gun, but it's also twice the price and is lighter, so it kicks a tad more. Benelli doesn't make a Trap model and they would not be recoil friendly due to their weight and action type compared to a gas gun. Save those for the goose blind.

Welcome to Trap, but who is Mike Bruzdzinski and where did you shoot? What did he teach you. If you are in Baltimore County, there's a great Trap Club in Parkville.

ColonelHurtz

A pile of little arms.
    Nov 13, 2008
    I have an 1100 Trap that I FTF'd from an ad here.
    Great gun. No muss, no fuss transaction.

StanleyG

Feb 27, 2011
    MontCo and Balt Co
    There are great buys out there on used 1100 Trap Guns. I just sold a clean Comp model for $500. They are built for the game. Stocked right and 30" Full is the usual gun. They do require preventative maintenance, but nothing major and they do require cleaning. The Beretta 391 Trap is a better gun, but it's also twice the price and is lighter, so it kicks a tad more. Benelli doesn't make a Trap model and they would not be recoil friendly due to their weight and action type compared to a gas gun. Save those for the goose blind.

Welcome to Trap, but who is Mike Bruzdzinski and where did you shoot? What did he teach you. If you are in Baltimore County, there's a great Trap Club in Parkville.

Mike is an instructor and an industry partner here. http://www.mdshooters.com/member.php?u=800

He teaches at Marriottsville, md and there is a really nice range there.

The class was a standard NRA basic shotgun for beginners , and we did a few rounds of trap at the end.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    Crap!

Sounds like a class I would have like to have taken. But this is the first I've heard of it.

Where was it held? And is there another one in the works?

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    The 1100 is a pretty good soft shooting and reliable gun. The only thing that is likely to ever go wrong is a rubber o ring failing every couple of years, 2 bucks and about a minute to fix. a 30" barrel is fine with a full or mod choke for beginning trap. A shell catcher (about $15.00) will be a good idea or the guy next to you on the trap field is going to want to kick your ass when your ejected shell dings his 10K Kreighoff or Perazzi. A real trap model will get you a better stock configuration for trap but will also make it a worse gun for skeet or sporting. You can always buy a used stock or another barrel later for the 1100.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown
    The newer 1100 Traps do not need a shell catcher. They have a deflector button and the shells fall pretty close to you and will not bug the next shooter. But, the shell catcher is still a good idea if you save the hulls and reload. The trap configuration of the 1100 makes an OK sporter if you have choke tubes. They are fairly flat shooting guns. Skeet? Well, nobody cares about Skeet (LOL).

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I took Mike Bruzdzinski's introduction to shotguns/trap class yesterday. The best part was shooting 4 rounds of trap ( 100 shells) . This was my first time ever handling a shotgun and boy was it fun !!!! Hands down beats shooting stationary bull's eye . I tried Mossberg pump and Stoeger o/u . I did much better with the pump , but it left me with a nasty bruise on my shoulder.

So I did some research and looks like a 12 ga Remington 1100 would work fine for a beginner and if i want to try double trap or a skeet in the future I could also use it for that. Also looks like I may need a modified stock and a 33' barrel for it. I am also on a budget .. so don't want to spend too much.

Does anybody have any experience with those ? Suggestions ? tips ?
    Maybe someone have a used one they're trying to get rid of ?

thanks

I am glad you enjoyed the class Stanley! All of you did real well with all of the shotguns that I had. I fell the Mossberg 500 pump is one of the best out of the ones I had you guys use.

You may want to try out the used shotgun selection at THE GUN SHOP in Essex. Bob Sr and Bob Jr have some nice used shotguns ar reasonable prices.

I am looking forward to seeing you out at Marriottsville for the public trap events (unless you become a member of one of the AGC clubs)!

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Crap!

Sounds like a class I would have like to have taken. But this is the first I've heard of it.

Where was it held? And is there another one in the works?

LOL

It was posted on the calendar here, the NRA website (www.nrainstructors.org) and on the AGC website (www.associatedgunclubs.org). I run the classes in rotation so I should be having one come up in October (3rd weekend- 10/16/2011). I will post when I confirm with the AGC.

It would have been great to see another familiar face in the crowd and to help balnce out the trap squads!

Last edited:

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    LOL

I should be having one come up in October (3rd weekend- 10/16/2011). I will post when I confirm with the AGC.

If I miss it (and you remember), please drop me a PM or something.
    :)

BTW - I have a Remington Mod. 11. Would that be okay as far as just trying it out?

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Join a club that has a lot of different shoots.
    This way you can try different shot guns to find the you you like the best.

Get some more shot gun shooting under your belt and you will not have a bruised shoulder.

I've mostly shot pump shot guns and they work well for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom