• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    What show was it at?
    There's a couple gun shows coming up in PA, one next weekend and a smaller one in mid-March.
    Might come across one there?

GASSMAN

Feb 14, 2009
    My dad is 73 and was gifted a 760 in 30-06 when he was 19, He gifted me a 7600 in 30-06 when I turned 19. My uncle who we hunted with a lot has a 760 in 30-06, his two sons have 760's in 30-06. Needless to say, they are very popular deer rifles in my family. I can not quote the MOA I just don't shoot it enough, but they are extremely accurate.

I picked up a mint 7600 in 308 a few years ago and I think it's even more accurate. I ran across a guy in the woods in NY who had the same one and cut a few inches off the barrel and had it cerekoted. It looked pretty bad ass. I thought if I found another one in .308, maybe one in rough shape I would do the same thing and have the barrel threaded. 30-06 is definitely the most popular caliber. The 308's are very hard to find, I believe one just sold on gunbroker for over $1200. 30-06 is a great round but I feel like it really doesn't do anything the 308 can't do on big game in North America, but I get it that's another story for another day. Plus the gun itself in 308 is shorter and lighter. I have never shot one with a cut barrel but I have heard you can make them more accurate. Either way there are a lot more modern options out there, but I don't think you can ever go wrong with one. Its an American Classic.

Happy hunting

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Friend had the 7615P and it was a great shooter and very nice alternative to an AR. Not finicky with even with the cheapest mags. Ran without a hiccup on USGI metal or PMags.

I regret not buying it when he sold it.

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    I have a personally owned 1965-made one in .308 I'd be willing to let go, but be warned they are NOT cheap in .308.

tosainu1

May 10, 2005
    Bowie Md
    I have a nice one in 308. It came with a Weaver K4 and I took it off and put a nice Leupold VX 3 2.5-3x36mm on it. They’re glassy smooth, follow up shots if needed are fast and you don’t have to break your cheek weld. All it needs is a soft recoil pad like a Kick EEz or something like that since they come with a hard recoil pad.

Attachments

• ABFF2928-0A83-430A-B2B1-A8500356C05F.jpeg
      ABFF2928-0A83-430A-B2B1-A8500356C05F.jpeg
      250.7 KB · Views: 45
    Last edited:

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    A guy I know at work (used to be a military sniper) did not think the pump action rifles were particularly accurate and recommended against them. Still - makes sense for hunting and 2 or 3 MOA, IDK seems like that should suffice. Fatser follow-up shots than a bolt gun. Legal for hunting in more areas than a gas gun. Not likely to jam. Maybe a Browning lever action might be a competitor?

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have a nice one in 308. It came with a Weaver K4 and I took it off and put a nice Leupold VX 3 2.5-3x36mm on it. They’re glassy smooth, follow up shots if needed are fast and you don’t have to break your cheek weld. All oft needs is a soft recoil pad like a Kick EEz or something like that since they come with a hard recoil pad.
    Wow - that is a looker!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom