• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eviljagtech

Infected w/ Freedom
    Jan 24, 2010
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    Hey hey all. Im new to AR's and i think im under-loading my ammo for it. What im loading is Armscor .55 gr FMJBT w/ 25 gr of Varget powder in .223, OWL 2.250. I have never reloaded for a auto loader rifle, thousands of rounds for my 9mm's and .223 for my 700. I think the charge is to low because i noticed the Factory ammo I broke the gun in with would really fly out but the reload would just plop 2-3 feet away. The rifle didn't jam or anything, it just felt weak. If this isn't going to hurt the weapon then I may keep doing it but I also my not be getting the must out of this firearm. Any Idea's would be helpful, oh and one last thing, I have 7 lbs of powder left so i got some shooting to do before i change powders if needed.

Edit: Barrel is a 1:9 twist

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    From Hodgdon website.
    55 GR. SFIRE Hodgdon Varget .224" 2.220"
    min= 23.5 2990 45,200 PSI
    max= 25.1C 3149 51,700 PSI

55 GR. SPR SP Hodgdon Varget .224" 2.200"
    min= 25.5 3174 41,300 CUP
    max= 27.5C 3384 49,700 CUP

From this data your very close to the max in powder. If this is accurate round
    stay with this load.

Eviljagtech

Infected w/ Freedom
    Jan 24, 2010
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    From Hodgdon website.
    55 GR. SFIRE Hodgdon Varget .224" 2.220"
    min= 23.5 2990 45,200 PSI
    max= 25.1C 3149 51,700 PSI

stay with this load.

Thank You sir, I went from the Lyamns book at which this was the lowest powder charge. It did work well at the range so ill keep this load for now till the powder is gone as those bullets are good priced.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    All the books will give you different load recipes. My hornady book was so much on the low side at the minimum charge, we ran out of sight adjustment to get the bullet on target.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    What brand are the 55 grain bullets you are shooting?

Not all bullets in the same weight use the same load data. Some bullets have different ogives, and bearing surfaces, which yields different pressures. Most load manuals from bullet co's are data for there bullets. Using other brand bullets with there load data can yield different results.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Armscor is the brand, and crimped at the crimp ring is OWL is 2.250

Guess I'm in the dark with this term. I know you're trying to convey Cartridge Overall Length, but I'm not sure what the "W" stands for? Not being a smartass, just always trying to learn something new.:thumbsup:

Speer #14 lists 25gr as a start load and 27gr as max.
    Hodgdon lists 25.5gr as start with 27.5 as max.

Speer manual specifies their loads were developed with Military brass which does play a part in load data.

Seems you still have some wiggle room if you want to work it up and push it a little faster.

ALBY

Jan 5, 2008
    You should shoot those loads over a chrono and see what they are clocking.

Eviljagtech

Infected w/ Freedom
    Jan 24, 2010
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    Guess I'm in the dark with this term. I know you're trying to convey Cartridge Overall Length, but I'm not sure what the "W" stands for? Not being a smartass, just always trying to learn something new.:thumbsup:

Speer #14 lists 25gr as a start load and 27gr as max.
    Hodgdon lists 25.5gr as start with 27.5 as max.

Speer manual specifies their loads were developed with Military brass which does play a part in load data.

Seems you still have some wiggle room if you want to work it up and push it a little faster.

Yes cartridge overall length, im just pooped out:)

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Thank You sir, I went from the Lyamns book at which this was the lowest powder charge. It did work well at the range so ill keep this load for now till the powder is gone as those bullets are good priced.

stay with this load.

I just called Hodgdon on telephone. I've had a question too about loading 55 grain bullets. Basically Mike at Hodgdon said any jacketed bullets ( that is to say he didn't recommend this data for solid core copper bullets).
    recommended good accurate loads Usually 1.5 gr to 2 gr below max.
    for you that would be 25.5 to 26 grains of Varget....

frozencesium

BBQ Czar
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 5, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    I'm using 26.2gr of Varget on top of 55gr VMax's wich seems to be in the middle of the zone for my particular rifle. YMMV.

Edit:
    Middle of the zone using Ed's method of load testing...finding the range where charge weight doesn't really change the drop and going with a roughly middle value.

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    If you are shooting mil-spec factory 5.56 it tends to be loaded to higher pressure than what you would probably be loading from various manuals.
    That may be why your handloads seem a little anemic compared to factory stuff.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    What brand are the 55 grain bullets you are shooting?

Not all bullets in the same weight use the same load data. Some bullets have different ogives, and bearing surfaces, which yields different pressures. Most load manuals from bullet co's are data for there bullets. Using other brand bullets with there load data can yield different results.

What are ogives?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom