• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dan8480

Gun Addict
    Feb 23, 2008
    Adams County
    I'm in the market for a die set for use in my lee Challenger press. What is the die to get for good accuracy? Full length, or neck only... I have only bought lee dies in the past, but I've never reloaded for a bolt action rifle before. Do I just go with the lee collet neck sizing die, or would you suggest something else? I've heard talk of a redding die set, but not sure. Any suggestions?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    full if you loading for semi auto.. neck on bolt guns. at least from what i read/learn.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    The only Redding dies that I've used, were for the 7mm International Rimmed cartridge.

That die must have been 'bad', because the sizer die was rough inside.
    Some 1,000 grit wet/dry on a dowel and some polishing compound fixed it.

Got rid of that caliber, entirely. (Didn't 'float my boat'.):D

The dies I use for my '06 loads are RCBS Competition Dies.
    I REALLY like 'em!!!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

diesel-man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 8, 2009
    https://fsreloading.com/lee-pacesetter-dies-3006-90508.html

Don't be fooled by the low price into thinking that if I pay more that I will get a better die. These are not seconds. Every die set that I have, have come from here...and they work perfectly.

This is the 3 die set, full length sizing with the factory crimp die. If by chance you would feel more comfortable paying $50 for the "best" dies...send me a check...

:party29:

diesel-man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 8, 2009
    full if you loading for semi auto.. neck on bolt guns. at least from what i read/learn.

Supposedly neck sizing only works if you use the same brass in the same gun. It is a Ford/Chevy argument, and many are passionate over each. If you have more than one gun that shoots the same caliber (a beater for when it rains on your hunt) then you have to "full size", and also if you are using range brass. Another thought is that if you have a couple hundred? for when the SHTF...they won't necessarily fit your buddy's rifle when he comes to help defend the fort... if you neck size.

I'll leave some "room" here for someone to "convince" everybody that neck sizing only is best.

:party29:

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    I full size every time for all my long range reloads. Either way I have to pull the hand for each load. From the other long range shooters I have heard that the neck tension is more consistent when you full size.

I have used both Lee and RCBS dies and been happy with both.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I full size every time for all my long range reloads. Either way I have to pull the hand for each load. From the other long range shooters I have heard that the neck tension is more consistent when you full size. I have used both Lee and RCBS dies and been happy with both.

Glad to hear the bolded part. I wasn't sure what to do and finally decided to go with the forster full length resizer. Haven't sized a round yet, hoping it works good LOL

MRA

Dec 10, 2010
    Damascus
    Redding competition die set. Did very well using these for competition at Camp Butner and Camp Perry.

dan8480

Gun Addict
    Feb 23, 2008
    Adams County
    I don't mind paying a little extra for a die, as long as its justified... I just want something that is gonna be accurate, and is gonna work like it should. I haven't had any problems with my lee dies, so I would be fine using those, I just don't know what's out there really, other than what I saw at basspro. Does the rcbs die come with the shellholder and the decapper like the lee dies?

dan8480

Gun Addict
    Feb 23, 2008
    Adams County
    I'm reloading for a single, bolt action rifle. I only have 1 rifle shooting that caliber, so mixing guns/ammo is not an issue.

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    The RCBS ones I got didn't come with a shell holder but I already had a set of shell holders. I bought the set of Lee shell holders.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    RCBS dies are what I use, unless I can't get the caliber I want from RCBS. When that happens I will get any dies I can get my hands on. Granted this only applies to my dad's RockChucker, my 550B gets Dillon dies.

So far I've reloaded .308 Winchester using their full length resizing set. I also have one of their bushing neck dies and a body only die. With those to you can resize the body and also precisely size the neck.

I now have a enough fired brass from my bolt gun to begin experimenting with those.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    The RCBS comp dies are freaking awesome. I've played with them in a few calibers. When my piggy bank fills back up from Xmas,I plan on getting them for my 22-250 and .270

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    A micrometer seating die allows more repeatability in finetuning seating depth. Other than that it is a Ford v Chevy eternal debate. Any accuracy differences will have as much to do with the dimention and concentricity of your chamber than with inherent differences between full length and neck size.

8milimeter

RICHARD (dino)
    Feb 15, 2009
    Frederick, Md
    Forester Benchrest 30-06 FL set is the best for the money.
    I dont need a micrometer, even matchkings bullets vary enough to make a micrometer kinda useless. 30-06 large case capacity and military long throats make accurate seating depth a none issue. Forester has the alignment sleave like the comp dies. If you want to neck size get a cheap lee neck sizer die.
    JMHO
    Consistant neck tension is the key to accurate 30-06 ammo.

Last edited:

dan8480

Gun Addict
    Feb 23, 2008
    Adams County
    I wish there was a place around here that would have an assortment of dies. Bass pro has a few, but none in that caliber...I guess I will have to order it off the web. Why can't there be a one stop shop???

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I wish there was a place around here that would have an assortment of dies. Bass pro has a few, but none in that caliber...I guess I will have to order it off the web. Why can't there be a one stop shop???

It is the belief of my father and I that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives should not be a federal government agency. It should be a 24/7 convenience store!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom