• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Good question. I don't know of any, but it's something that you can do pretty much on your own, and with a little help from your MD Shooter friends. First, read, read, and read. It's essentially a simple process, but you want to be able to clearly see the overall picture of what you are doing before you get started You'll start picking up on that if you read enough and see what basic things keep popping up in each book. Then, if you have questions, come here and ask them. With luck, there may be someone nearby willing to have you come over and see how things are done. Real mentors are a good thing, but we also have YouTube now.

I'd probably start with Sierra's reloading manual and The ABCs of Reloading. (I haven't actually read The ABCs, but it gets lots of good endorsements from people around here.)

I'd also eventually add to that Lee's reloading manual--especially if you are going to buy Lee equipment. Lee's stuff is the most affordable on the market. You'll hear lots of folks say how much better other brands are, but I can tell you that you can get perfectly good results with Lee gear, once you learn how to work with it correctly. You don't need a Rolls Royce if all you need to do is drive to church on Sunday.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Good question. I don't know of any, but it's something that you can do pretty much on your own, and with a little help from your MD Shooter friends. First, read, read, and read. It's essentially a simple process, but you want to be able to clearly see the overall picture of what you are doing before you get started You'll start picking up on that if you read enough and see what basic things keep popping up in each book. Then, if you have questions, come here and ask them. With luck, there may be someone nearby willing to have you come over and see how things are done. Real mentors are a good thing, but we also have YouTube now.

I'd probably start with Sierra's reloading manual and The ABCs of Reloading. (I haven't actually read The ABCs, but it gets lots of good endorsements from people around here.)

I'd also eventually add to that Lee's reloading manual--especially if you are going to buy Lee equipment. Lee's stuff is the most affordable on the market. You'll hear lots of folks say how much better other brands are, but I can tell you that you can get perfectly good results with Lee gear, once you learn how to work with it correctly. You don't need a Rolls Royce if all you need to do is drive to church on Sunday.

Read, read and read is very sound advice indeed! And "The ABC's of Reloading" would also be my recommendation for where to start. ABC's is not a load data manual. You'll need good data also, and preferably from more than one industry standard source. ABC's is rather a good broad overview of the reloading topic.

A class and a mentor are both great ideas.....but it typically isn't always easy to find either. Don't let that stop you if you wish to pursue the hobby. I'd venture to say that most reloaders are self taught. The hobby certainly doesn't require a degree from Harvard, but neither is it an activity to take lightly, any more than handling a firearm would be. It requires some basic knowledge and understanding, a very definite attention to detail, and the good sound common sense judgment to follow instructions and guidelines from tested and trusted industry sources. With that awareness and that mindset, you'll begin to establish the foundation you'll need to begin a very rewarding hobby. And you'll do just fine!

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I have a brand new ABCs of Reloadng in the classifieds for $10 vs $16+ shipping at Amazon if you're looking for one.

Last edited:

Navyblue

May 30, 2013
    Calvert
    Great tips and suggestions. lx1x contacted me and offered to help out a dumb new guy with tons of questions. I am grateful for all the help since joining MDS. The folks here on the forums have been helpful and understanding.

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Read, read, read, and re read, and then go make few rounds with all different specs, and then go test. take a rest bag, and a notebook with you to the range.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I agree with the rest.

Op: while you are waiting for your stuff to come in. I suggest get the "ABC's of Reloading" and start reading to at least get some really basic information under your belt.

By the time we set a date to meet, can help you set-up/started and answer your questions. :)

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    As suggested, Read and watch videos and know that some stuff you see in videos may not be something you do. Everybody seems to have different methods and processes but with similarities. Each person may have a special 'safety process' they do that others don't.
    One thing I did not see alot in the books was that you should learn to seat bullets Without! primers or powder in them. Get a bullet puller so you can un do the work. Nothing so good about seating a bullet and crushing a case with powder and primer in it. Glad I did a few dry runs first as well as got my seating depth right.

Make sure the Air conditioning is working and your comfortable and not rushed the first time you load that first primer and powder :)

Navyblue

May 30, 2013
    Calvert
    As suggested, Read and watch videos and know that some stuff you see in videos may not be something you do. Everybody seems to have different methods and processes but with similarities. Each person may have a special 'safety process' they do that others don't.
    One thing I did not see alot in the books was that you should learn to seat bullets Without! primers or powder in them. Get a bullet puller so you can un do the work. Nothing so good about seating a bullet and crushing a case with powder and primer in it. Glad I did a few dry runs first as well as got my seating depth right.

Make sure the Air conditioning is working and your comfortable and not rushed the first time you load that first primer and powder :)

Great tip Melnic. I will look about getting a boolit puller and do some practicing. It would seem to be much safer that way. The help is appreciated.

Just another random thought but would it be worth putting together a sticky with these tips and recommendations for us new to reloading??
    Steve

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have also offered to help people get started.

Not a formal class, but go to their place and help them set the dies and get some rounds loaded.

I have been reloading off and on for a LONG time. I hate to admit how long, as it shows that I am getting old. :)

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I think the main issue is just having enough seasoned people that are willing to help that live across the state. I had a few offers a while back but everyone lived so far away unfortunately.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    I would suggest starting with a single stage press until you are comfortable with the process. The progressive presses perform many actions simultaneously and it is very difficult to monitor everything at one time. With a single stage press, you perform one task at a time and can check your powder level visually - the most critical part of the process.
    I have been wrestling with a Lee Pro 1000 for about 6 months now and after a number of false starts including having to pull down hundreds of rounds of 45, am relatively confident that I can use it to produce decent safe ammo.
    I believe that the Pro 1000 is not a machine for a beginner. If you have the 5 station progressive from Lee, you may be OK ( I have no experience with this machine).
    I am not a beginner and load many calibers on a turret press and a Dillon 650, and I may be expecting too much from the Lees.
    DocAitch

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom