• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    police-lights.jpg

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I know nothing about this other than stumbling upon posts regarding swapping uppers and lowers to try to evade a law.
    Reason I ask is an acquaintance was speaking about the easy availability of "assault rifles", ie. walk into and out of Walmart, or a shop with an AR.
    So my questions:

1. Are these regulated in Maryland, and if so what does regulated actually mean?
    2. What are some examples of such rifles, if there is a regulation?

Sorry, I'm just a bit surprised that you would "know nothing" about this issue, if you've been here coming on to two years and have over 1500 posts.

honda53s

Ultimate Member
    May 4, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Your statement and questions are very vague. Do you mind adding to them? Are you asking what makes an H-bar an H-bar and compare them to a standard regulated AR?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Purchase of Regulated firearms in Maryland require completion of an online safety course, extra paperwork, extra background checks, a seven-day-plus waiting period, a $10 fee, and inclusion in a state database.

All handguns are regulated, plus a number of long guns which are somewhat specifically named on a list. The list is very confusing, and makes less and less sense the more you try to puzzle it out. No one is entirely clear on what exactly is and is not regulated. This leads to many long discussions on this forum.

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    No one is "evading" or "working" a law. The FFLs who sell the guns and we poor saps who buy them simply follow the law as it is written. No more, no less.

To answer your question, what you are talking about is "Assault Weapons"...a term which is defined differently in different states, but in Maryland, means any gun that liberal politicians found "scary" enough to place on the list below:

http://www.mdsp.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=835OWi-sH2U=&tabid=423&mid=1072

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    Well you could start by telling your friend that laws aren't meant to prevent crime, they are only supposed to tell the justice system what is punishable. If your friend really wants to help prevent crime, you should ask him why we treat criminals so nicely when we send them on vacation to prison after they commit a crime...

As for your original question, I've never bought one (not old enough), but I believe regulated means you have to be 21 to buy, they are registered, and there's a waiting period, similar to handguns. Also, they aren't assault rifles. They're semi-auto's. Does he know the difference? I prefer to educate my peers on the *actual* terms for firearms, rather than the silly legal names politicians give them to make them sound evil. :cool:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    My question is: are "assault rifles" regulated in the same manner as handguns, with a background check and waiting period. What are some examples of said rifles?

Already answered:

Purchase of Regulated firearms in Maryland require completion of an online safety course, extra paperwork, extra background checks, a seven-day-plus waiting period, a $10 fee, and inclusion in a state database.

All handguns are regulated, plus a number of long guns which are somewhat specifically named on a list. The list is very confusing, and makes less and less sense the more you try to puzzle it out. No one is entirely clear on what exactly is and is not regulated. This leads to many long discussions on this forum.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    This brings up a question for me..
    Could you or would a FFL even do so.. Lets say you take a AR15 heavy barrel upper to a store and put it on the lower you are buying, now its a HB supposedly cash and carry, is it still regulated with a 7 day wait?? Or does the FFL write it up as a Heavy barrel for cash and carry??

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    FFLs like to keep their licenses.

He entered it in on his book as a Regulated Lower.
    It's getting sold as either a Regulated Lower or a Regulated rifle.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    FFLs like to keep their licenses.

He entered it in on his book as a Regulated Lower.
    It's getting sold as either a Regulated Lower or a Regulated rifle.

Ok, lets say he has a 07 then and he manufactures a HB to sell. Im not trying to get them to do anything they shouldn't but since most of the laws on guns are complete bull shit, i sometimes i wonder how we can use them in our favor. It gets my brain stirring around, especially late at night when im super tired.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Not necessarily. If a gunsmith builds it from a regulated lower and builds an HBAR it's sold as an HBAR and is cash and carry.

ColonelHurtz

A pile of little arms.
    Nov 13, 2008
    "Regulated" means that some ********** tyrant somewhere desires to enslave you and deny your civil rights.
    That's what "regulated' means to a liberal.

What it means in the constitution, as in "A well regulated militia...", is that you should be suitably equipped and trained for combat.

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    This brings up a question for me..
    Could you or would a FFL even do so.. Lets say you take a AR15 heavy barrel upper to a store and put it on the lower you are buying, now its a HB supposedly cash and carry, is it still regulated with a 7 day wait?? Or does the FFL write it up as a Heavy barrel for cash and carry??

Well yes, technically, the rifle is now a complete HBAR rifle and thus not regulated by MSP, but even though it's technically compliant with state law, it's a gray area at the Federal level...does putting an upper on a stripped lower constitute "manufacturing a firearm for sale"?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    In this case, the Dealer is an 07, manufacturing a firearm from parts. If he manufactures an HBAR, I guess it's an HBAR.

But if we're pursuing speculation like this, then it must be getting late at night.

RustyGunner

Sep 12, 2012
    So if i (a dc resident) find a cali legal M1A in md, i have to take the test and paid the fee, then i can buy it from the md dealer?m
    What about va?

Speaking only for our stores (yes, I sell guns at a MD Wal-Mart), as a DC resident I can't sell you any firearm.

fishcheeks

Oct 12, 2012
    washington, dc
    Speaking only for our stores (yes, I sell guns at a MD Wal-Mart), as a DC resident I can't sell you any firearm.

Yes, a dc res can not buy guns at walmart but can by a rifle or shotgun from any ffl dealer in any other state. Following dc's firearm registration rules. I've done so from pa and md

A hand gun must be transferred via the only ffl in DC. Which is pricy (125 per)

What I was not aware of was md's regulated firearms rules pertaining to the M1A. And how that affects their ability to sell directly to me. If there is an additional transfer, I'll need to look at va or pa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom