• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wgttgw

Apr 10, 2011
    Cambridge
    Hello all. I am new to the forum. I have a question about hand guns that were purchased back when private sales where legal with out being transferred. Do these guns I own now need to be registered to me? I don’t intend to sell them (don’t Know if that matters), but I occasionally transport them legally and don‘t want to get in trouble. Also would I be able to hand them down to my sons if they are not registered to me? Does any one know or remember what year did it become required to transfer registration of private sales on hand guns? I think if was 1995 or 96.
    Thanks for any help.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    No need to register them. For such items it is purely voluntary. Why let them know what you have?

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Sounds like the same first question that I asked, that brought me here. No need to register, the MD registration is voluntary. You're good.

MH

wgttgw

Apr 10, 2011
    Cambridge
    I certainly not interested in letting them know what I have if I don’t need to. Personally I think the majority of the gun laws are ridiculous. I just don’t want to be transferring my hand guns to go hunting or to a shooting range and wind up being accused of or committing a crime and having to do a lot of explaining form the back seat of a cop car. I also am curious as to the ability to leave them to my children after I am gone.

Interestingly I have been researching the gun laws online. Has 21 always been the legal age to purchase a hand gun? I am not that old and I seem to remember it being 18.

Andras

Aug 12, 2008
    Charles Co.
    I certainly not interested in letting them know what I have if I don’t need to. Personally I think the majority of the gun laws are ridiculous. I just don’t want to be transferring my hand guns to go hunting or to a shooting range and wind up being accused of or committing a crime and having to do a lot of explaining form the back seat of a cop car. I also am curious as to the ability to leave them to my children after I am gone.

Interestingly I have been researching the gun laws online. Has 21 always been the legal age to purchase a hand gun? I am not that old and I seem to remember it being 18.

21 is the legal age to buy from a FFL. In MD though, a person under 21 may not possess a handgun or other regulated firearm unless they are under the supervision of a person over 21 (in general). They can take ownership of a handgun if they are under 21 via inheritance, see below.

(d) Possession by person under age of 21 years prohibited; exceptions.-

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person who is under the age of 21 years may not possess a regulated firearm or ammunition solely designed for a regulated firearm.

(2) Unless a person is otherwise prohibited from possessing a regulated firearm, this subsection does not apply to:

(i) the temporary transfer or possession of a regulated firearm or ammunition solely designed for a regulated firearm if the person is:

1. under the supervision of another who is at least 21 years old and who is not prohibited by State or federal law from possessing a firearm; and

2. acting with the permission of the parent or legal guardian of the transferee or person in possession;

(ii) the transfer by inheritance of title, and not of possession, of a regulated firearm;

(iii) a member of the armed forces of the United States or the National Guard while performing official duties;

(iv) the temporary transfer or possession of a regulated firearm or ammunition solely designed for a regulated firearm if the person is:

1. participating in marksmanship training of a recognized organization; and

2. under the supervision of a qualified instructor;

(v) a person who is required to possess a regulated firearm for employment and who holds a permit under Subtitle 3 of this title; or

(vi) the possession of a firearm or ammunition for self-defense or the defense of others against a trespasser into the residence of the person in possession or into a residence in which the person in possession is an invited guest.

Once they turn 21, you can simply gift a handgun to them and they just have to fill out a Form 77R at the MSP barracks and mail it in within 5 days of the transfer. If title passes via inheritance, they'd have to fill out a 77R anyway.

Since your kids are under 21, I'd imagine a trust might be the best way to do it.

Trust won't help. Title can pass via inheritance but someone under 21 would have to have another person actually hold the firearm until they turn 21 (unless shooting under supervision, etc)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom