• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie Shooter

Feb 26, 2009
    Sykesville, MD
    I have been looking for a 1-4x illuminated scope. I have decided on the Leatherwood CMR because I like the reticle, I have read good reviews and the price allows me to add something else to my collection (.45 handgun). But I can't decide if I should get red or green? What are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks

MovingFusion

Dec 29, 2012
    Green is suspposed to be faster for target acquisition, but most every forum seems to indicate that its really just user preference.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    As a competitive shooter I find green is brighter to the eye in daylight and seems to help with both target acquisition and transistions in bright sunlight. But I am also used to shooting both colors. When I went looking for a new scope for 3-gun I had 2 main requirements. The scope had to have BDC points that covered from 100-600 yards and when used at 1x the reticle had to function to my eyes as close as possible to a red dot. I ended up with a Burris 1-4x24 MTAC CQ. The best one was the Vortex Razor HD II 1-6x24 to my eyes but the Burris was less than $400 while the Vortex was $1300. Also you don't want a first focal plane reticle on a 1-4x or 1-6x scope like the last scope I used or some of the other Vortex scopes. The expanding reticle tends to interfer with seeing the target. In 3-gun I only use the scope at 2 setting, 1x and the max setting for long range targets. Everything in between does not get used. I find normal reticles like mil-dots slow me down at 1x compared to a scope with an illuminated circle or semi-circle.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    As a competitive shooter I find green is brighter to the eye in daylight and seems to help with both target acquisition and transistions in bright sunlight. But I am also used to shooting both colors. When I went looking for a new scope for 3-gun I had 2 main requirements. The scope had to have BDC points that covered from 100-600 yards and when used at 1x the reticle had to function to my eyes as close as possible to a red dot. I ended up with a Burris 1-4x24 MTAC CQ. The best one was the Vortex Razor HD II 1-6x24 to my eyes but the Burris was less than $400 while the Vortex was $1300. Also you don't want a first focal plane reticle on a 1-4x or 1-6x scope like the last scope I used or some of the other Vortex scopes. The expanding reticle tends to interfer with seeing the target. In 3-gun I only use the scope at 2 setting, 1x and the max setting for long range targets. Everything in between does not get used. I find normal reticles like mil-dots slow me down at 1x compared to a scope with an illuminated circle or semi-circle.

Thanks for sharing all that info. Im also looking to upgrade scopes on an AR. Unfortunately im not shooting the ARs lately with the ammo problems. Im gonna look into all the ones you mentioned.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I like the Vortex PST 1-4x and am currently using one on my SCAR until I can find a Razor in stock.

I looked at the MTAC but it seemed a little big and certainly heavy.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I may have gone with the Vortex, but it is $500 for the scope alone. I got the Burris MTAC, with mount and with the FastFireII red dot sight, all for $539.

Vortex PST 1-4x is 9.7 inches long, 16 ounces.

The Burris MTAC 1-4x is 11.3 inches, 17 ounces. So 1.6 inches longer, 1 ounce heavier.

Either way, Sport Optics (www.sportoptics.com) will hook you up.

VWTurbo

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2010
    Perry Hall
    I went with the firefield 1-6 with the FFP reticle. I really like it. Has red and green illumination as well as black so you can choose whichever suits your particular need at the time. I will agree that the FFP reticle is bigger at higher magnifications that drowns out some of the target, but still it was dead on at a couple hundred yards. I dropped it in the pepr quick release ount and it all came in under 300. You are welcome to shoot it any time to see if you like it

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    I know green is supposed to be faster, but I lose it all the time amongst backdrops.

So, I always vote red.

Same...ive only tried one green and it wasnt mine...as soon as i looked into a wooded area it was hard to track, and if i was trying to bring the rifle up on target forget it, took me 2-3 times longer to get lined up. There is very little red in nature, and even in urban areas...so ill stick with that...plus aimpoint doesnt make a green, and i only buy aimpoints so....

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I looked at the MTAC but I didn't care for the thickness of the reticle but the package is a good value.
    I mainly chose the thicker reticle for use at 1x because thinner ones with weaker illumination are hard to pickup under the pressure of multi-gun run and gun action. I would feel the same about actual combat. My .22 practice AR has a Sniper, Inc., 1-4x28 that has a much thinner 270 degree ring and a BDC ladder with all three illumination colors. but the thinner reticle can't be picked up as fast. With the Burris when sighting it in off a rest and shooting semi rapid fire at 300y using WM Fed 55g .223 and the 1st BDC dot below the center in a 10 rd string I could put 8 in the 10-ring and 2 in the 9-ring. The next day at the PNTC 3-gun I managed to shoot 5 of the 6 250-300y steel field targets in one 5 shot string over the barrier with the same ammo. I am plenty happy with that level of shooting in 3-gun (only my 3rd event).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom