• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    The wooden grips and crappy trigger made this old Ruger a safe queen, losing out to my S&W 66 originally, and more recently my "new" S&W 64, for range time. It just wasn't that much fun to shoot.

After making that point several times recently, but having too much attachment to the gun to ever let her go, I came to the realization that I was just being lazy.

Some Pachmayr grips + new lighter hammer spring = fun.

The trigger still isn't smooth like a Smith, but I certainly had more fun with it today (and shot more accurately with it) than ever before.

Attachments

• SturmRuger5.jpg
      SturmRuger5.jpg
      44.8 KB · Views: 160
    • PSS66j.jpg
      PSS66j.jpg
      47.6 KB · Views: 156
    • PSS66d.jpg
      PSS66d.jpg
      76.2 KB · Views: 170

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Odd that it has a crappy trigger. The Ruger Six-series revolvers usually have good ones. The trigger on my Speed Six is fantastic. Has yours not had many rounds through it or been dry-fired enough?

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    Odd that it has a crappy trigger. The Ruger Six-series revolvers usually have good ones. The trigger on my Speed Six is fantastic. Has yours not had many rounds through it or been dry-fired enough?

I was going to give the back story, but figured I was long winded enough.

It was my Dad's under the counter gun when he was in business. It sat there for years and then went in the safe.

Round count is definitely LOW. Since I decided to try and improve the trigger, I've dry fired it enough in front of the TV to irritate the heck out of my wife.:D

It had a really bad "hump" in the pull - really heavy to get it past a point and then it would suddenly release and drop the hammer. From what I've read it may be due to the coil spring instead of a flat mainspring in the S&W? Gritty too. Both problems are less evident now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom