• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmokingGun

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2009
    Absurdistan
    I'm new to the .308 and would appreciate some education. Looking to maximize the accuracy of my 16.5" barrel with 1:10 twist. Apparently lighter vs. heavier bullets make a difference?

Thanks in advance!

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I'm new to the .308 and would appreciate some education. Looking to maximize the accuracy of my 16.5" barrel with 1:10 twist. Apparently lighter vs. heavier bullets make a difference?

Thanks in advance!

I use 168gr Federal gold medal match and they make nice lil one hole groups :thumbsup:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I don't own a .308 (yet), but the guys I shoot with that have 16", typically run 147 gr themselves, and it's been consistently 1 - 1.5 MOA, depending on the shooter.

fa18hooker

99-9X
    Sep 2, 2008
    Annapolis
    With the 1:10 you can run all the way up to 210 grains, but with that short a barrel, I don't see the need (i.e. you won't be shooting long range, and unless you're trying to run it suppressed with subsonic, heavy ammo, there's little advantage). What are you going to use it for? You said max accuracy...what kind of ranges will you be shooting at?

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    My 16in barrels are 1 in 10 and will not shoot light bullets...168 at a min and they don't get accurate until I get in the 175-180 range.
    Once I get the weight up they are sub MOA.

SmokingGun

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2009
    Absurdistan
    With the 1:10 you can run all the way up to 210 grains, but with that short a barrel, I don't see the need (i.e. you won't be shooting long range, and unless you're trying to run it suppressed with subsonic, heavy ammo, there's little advantage). What are you going to use it for? You said max accuracy...what kind of ranges will you be shooting at?

It's a scout set-up, so I'm in the 100, 200, 300 (max) yard range.

Thanks for all of the replies!

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Now we know the range, lets talk platform.

Are you shooting semi or a bolt?

I've been drifting to lower bullet weights for some of my bolt guns at ranges under 300. (125's in 3006 for example). Less recoil, better recovery and high accuracy. I don't have a gas system to worry about so I have more flexibility in powder and pressure.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    For those having problems with 'lighter' bullets 147-150 grains, have you tried SMK or other match bullets? The faster the twist, the more likely any imbalance in a lower quality bullet (like FMJ/ball) will be exaggerated.

But to the OP, I concur with several others in using the 168 grain SMK or other brand of open tip match.

Good luck

Jerry

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom