• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdsuave13

Zombie Survival Expert
    Nov 8, 2007
    ellicott city
    My father gave me a RCBS Reloader Special 2 press. Its like 30 years old, but brand new. He also gave me dies for .357...

since i've just gotten a brand new .357, i was curious about loading my own loads for it. (seeing as a magnum can handle some extra pressure from what i've read)

Does anyone know where i could go to get a hands on instruction on how to use this stuff? i'm totally a newbie to the idea and would like to pick it up as a hobby, and since i already have some of the expensive parts, maybe save some money on doing my own ammo.

i usually shoot around 100 rounds per range trip (per weapon, usually a couple pistols or a pistol and a rifle) and i try to get at least 1 a month in.

Would it even be worth my time to reload for that much ammo used?

any help would be great. Thank you.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    It's always worth reloading your rounds - even if you do not make that much financial plus you can tailor them to your gun. A .357 target load with WC at the power level of a .38 is possible as well as a full-blown show load that produces a muzzle flash eclipsing the stage lights. Ofc. you can also do wonders for accuracy with the right diameter bullets and a mild load.

The first thing I would recommend getting is a good handbook. The speer manual seems to be really nice as well as the lymann but almost every current handbook will do and you might ask someone who has red them all to recommend you two.

After you got your handbooks and know in general what you are doing find a reloader to show you the ropes - that way you will eliminate many rookie mistakes. One of the metallic reloading courses the NRA offers might also be a nice primer. If you feel that you have understood everything and are confident to teach yourself it is also fine.

When you get ready for rolling your own, pick one of the published loads out of the handbook. For starters you should select one that uses a slower powder and fills your case pretty far so you do not accidentally produce a double load. After that go to 90% of the recommended load, make a couple of rounds, fire them off and be happy about it.
    Further instructions on finding the correct load for your gun, safety and so on will be found in the manuals or here in the forums.

Have fun!

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    i usually shoot around 100 rounds per range trip (per weapon, usually a couple pistols or a pistol and a rifle) and i try to get at least 1 a month in.

Would it even be worth my time to reload for that much ammo used?

any help would be great. Thank you.
    YES! It is absolutely worth it to reload, and to that end, you may not save money, but you will definitely go to the range and shoot more! :)

There are a couple of good reloading books you can get. Hornady, Speer, Lyman, Lee have books and they are all pretty good. They'll teach you what you need to know about how to do it, how to set up your gear and they'll have a bunch of reloading data in the back of the book so that you have a frame of reference for how much powder to use, what kind of powder to use, and how it relates to the bullets you choose to use.

I reload and have "saved" about $900 in the last 6 months when you compare the cost of components I've used to the cost of what the ammo would have cost if I purchased factory ammo.

The best part is that you get to choose - between the numerous bullet weights and types and appropriate powders to use for each load, you literally have hundreds of options for how your loads go together, and it ranges from the lightest of lead bullet target loads to the heaviest of hunting or self-defense jacketed bullet loads.

duckslayer

Feb 3, 2009
    southern dorchester county
    One other necessity is a scale doent have to be super expensive but is a must. The other thing that bears repeating is that max loads listed in the manual are just that max loads dont exceed them. Sticking with a slower burning powder is also good advice

anil

Sep 28, 2008
    Silver Spring, MD
    You'll definately want an up to date reloading manual like the Speer manual or Hornady manual

though on top of that, there's great reloading data (bullet weight/powder load/powder type) here: http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

those will tell you specifically what type of powder, primer and bullets you need to buy for your particular needs.

There aren't all that many local places left that sell powder and primers - i think there's a thread listing the remaining spots. Make a list of the powders and primers you'll need ... if you order them online you end up paying a 20$ hazardous materials shipping fee (at least from MidwayUSA and cabelas) - so either order a lot from one place or pay 12$ to get into a gunshow and grab them there.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    One other necessity is a scale doent have to be super expensive but is a must. The other thing that bears repeating is that max loads listed in the manual are just that max loads dont exceed them. Sticking with a slower burning powder is also good advice
    The Lee Powder scale is inexpensive and will get you where you need to go. My only complaint with that scale is the 100 gr limit - it's clearly only meant to be used as a powder scale.

My Dad used to cast a lot of bullets and depending on the alloy, there isn't a set weight for a particular bullet mould - for instance the classic Lyman 429421 is supposed to cast a 250 gr bullet, but it isn't always right on 250. Dad used to always weigh his bullets, just to make sure of where they were casting for a particular batch of lead alloy - typically WW, but sometimes he'd add lead from other sources.

Back to the subject of reloading and scales, Dad's scale had a 500 gr limit, so he could weigh just about any bullet he cast, to include those big old .454 slugs for .45-70 and .45-90, which roll in at 450+ gr.

You'll also need a powder measure. I've been using a Lee Perfect Powder Measure and that does a great job with some powders, but takes kind of a knack for large flake powders - I bump the handle on both the upswing and downswing, which seems to make it a bit more consistent. That powder measure will run you $20 and does a great job for the money - it's not fancy and it's made pretty cheaply, but it throws consistently.

There are a few other things you'll need too - shell trays, a priming tool, (unless your press already has it) and eventually a tumbling setup, which is a good investment to make in your reloading endeavors. I use the Lee Auto Prime tool (Note: I bought an Anniversary kit that came with all of this stuff) and I've had very good luck with that.

There are a bunch of us here on the forum who reload, so don't hesitate to ask if you have a question. Ed Shell is the man (IMO) when it comes to reloading for rifle though - I stick to handgun loads.

mdsuave13

Zombie Survival Expert
    Nov 8, 2007
    ellicott city
    Thanks everyone for the information. I am a big time DIY'r, so it seems like it would be something I would be interested in doing.

I guess I will be doing some reading, does anyone know if the library has any of these reloading books, so I can take a look and see if its a hobby I want to get involved in?

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    AA County library seems to only have two books on reloading available:

1.) The ABC's of Reloading
    2.) Handloaders' Digest

I'm not sure how successful you will be finding reloading reference materials at the public library. Having said that, let me relate to you how and why I started reloading myself.

First, my Dad reloaded - he started reloading in the early 1950s and I wasn't born until 1970, so there never was a time where I didn't remember him doing it, and growing up with him, even though I never got into the nitty gritty of the details, I did some reloading when he set things up for me, and I was generally familiar with the process.

Flash forward to February of last year when I finally obtained/inherited some of the guns he left when he passed in 1997, I also brought home a fair amount of his reloads for the guns I inherited, but I didn't grab any of his reloading equipment because I just wasn't sure if I would need it.* Unfortunately, ammo shoots up pretty fast and I was soon left with a bunch of empty brass and no ammo to shoot.

(* When the family was going round and round about all of Dad's guns and how to handle the selling/distribution of them, I always thought that I wanted them, but since I had never owned guns out here, I really didn't know if this was just a grand idea I had in my head at the time or if it was something I truly had an interest in, so I allowed all of his reloading gear to be sold at the sale with the idea that I would simply get some myself if I did find myself shooting enough to have a need to reload.)

I ordered 500 rounds of .45 ACP remanufactured ammo, but with .44 mag ammo being as expensive as it is, I figured I would dabble in reloading, just to see if 1.) I would enjoy doing it and 2.) if it might save me a bit of money in the long run. That's why I ordered a basic, inexpensive Lee single stage reloading kit with the Challenger press.

If I had known then what I know now, I probably would have bought a Dillon progressive press right out of the gate. I quickly came to understand why my Dad reloaded and cast bullets. Aside from the cost savings aspect of it, there is a certain satisfaction knowing that you were the one who crafted the ammo you are shooting, and the best part is that you get to decide everything about the load.

My advice to you is to go ahead and take the plunge. Buy a manual, obtain a couple of sources of reloading data, and tool up to roll your own. I seriously doubt if you'll regret it. I'll even make you a deal - if you get into it and don't like it, I promise to buy any components or gear you no longer think you have a need for, although frankly I think that you'll enjoy it and appreciate it as much as I do. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom