• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ovechtrick

Mar 7, 2011
    Montgomery County
    With the CCW laws hopefully changing I've been looking to get a new semi-auto pistol to use for concealed carry and I would appreciate any advice you guys have.

I work in an office and have to dress business casual with a tucked in shirt, so I think I am going to require a pocket pistol. I like the size of the LCP, but I was wondering if you can suggest any other options. I would like 9mm if possible, but I think that they may be too large for pocket carry, although I may be wrong. I'm not the biggest guy (5'10", approx 155) so I think the size is extremely important so that I won't have any imprinting issues.

Thanks for the help.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    I have used a glock 26 in crossbreeds super tuck holster for a while now and love it. It can be concealed under a tucked in Tshirt rather nicely. And it's pretty comfortable for being an
    IWB holster.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I like the Beretta Tom cat its 32 cal but has 7 shots...not much for power but conceals in your pocket. Its loud enough to disrupt an attack and let you get to your car where you have a back up full size pistol..

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Ruger LCP or LC9. Not a whole lot of size difference between the two. Go to a shop that has both and compare. They may even have pocket holsters and let you try them on for size. Make sure you wear your work clothes so you can be sure they will fit your pocket.

Ovechtrick

Mar 7, 2011
    Montgomery County
    Ruger LCP or LC9. Not a whole lot of size difference between the two. Go to a shop that has both and compare. They may even have pocket holsters and let you try them on for size. Make sure you wear your work clothes so you can be sure they will fit your pocket.

Thanks I will. Do you have experience w/ both if these? How is the reliability / accuracy? I'm going to have to go off reviews for all of these since ranges don't typically rent these options.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Reliability with the Rugers mentioned above should be very good.

Might look at the SR9C, small enough to wear IWB (tucked).

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have a PF9, it fits in my pocket with a DeSantis pocket pistol holster. I've had change in my pocket that weighed more than this pistol did loaded. $300 plus tax and NIC.

Just saw in the new american rifle that springfield has a single stack compact .45. I'm seriously considering one of these, looks very slim and compact.

http://xdspistol.com/

I want one of those as well I bought the XDm .45 3.8 when it came out in Nov 2011 and the following month they release this at the shot show :rolleyes: I still want it but I wonder how long it will take to get onto the approved hand gun roster I think it would be a great summer CCW piece

tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    I want one of those as well I bought the XDm .45 3.8 when it came out in Nov 2011 and the following month they release this at the shot show :rolleyes: I still want it but I wonder how long it will take to get onto the approved hand gun roster I think it would be a great summer CCW piece

Oh yeah forgot about the roster crap

rscia50

Jan 31, 2010
    North Myrtle South Carolina
    I just bought my wife the LC9 and we fired it for the first time last night. Very smooth and controlable for such a small gun. My wife felt very comfortable with it also and she's small. My 7 year old even fired a couple of single shots with it. It was his first 9mm pistol with lots of experiance with his p22. Becuase of silly Maryland I have to wait untill the end of April to get my Sig P290. The day it gets released from the aproval list my paperwork gets submitted. If anyone wants to try it out just let me know. That goes for the LC9 With laser also. Good luck.

Zombie_013

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 30, 2011
    Germantown, MD

Attachments

• O6891.png
      O6891.png
      17.8 KB · Views: 231
    Oh yeah forgot about the roster crap

LOL yeah I did too when I went to buy my XDm .45, lol dealer told me its not on the list yet :banghead: but an email had that taken care of since the same model was on there in 9mm & .40 they just added the .45 the next day :) but it wont work like that with the XDs some one is going to have to submit one the the MSP for review so it can be added :(

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I personally want something more than a mouse gun if I am going to bet my life on it, I've been carrying for years, tried out a lot of handguns and holsters before my current setup. I carry an M&P 9c or GLOCK 30SF, both conceal well, I like the capacity, caliber and feel of the GLOCK better, but it is wide and blocky, carries fine under a jacket, or thick shirt, but it's a bit too big for summer "jeans and t-shirt" weather. I had the M&P9c before the GLOCK, and really like it, it's still my "summer carry" gun, just wanted something in a larger caliber, although 9mm really is sufficient, the same desantis cozy partner holster and mag holster works for both. I also have a Kahr PM9, and Ruger LCP. I will only carry them as a backup, although the PM9 could serve as a primary with a couple spare mags, they are smaller, a bit more difficult to shoot, and not only is capacity lower, but so is performance due to the really short barrels, they are also more difficult to draw and shoot fast compared to larger compacts. Compared to 9mm+p from a short barrel, 380 has about 1/2 the power, and barrier/clothing penetration is usually poor, so I opt for a duty caliber, but even 380 beats no gun at all. My brother Smokey0118 has a KT PF-9, we compared it to the Kahr, and frankly there isn't much of a comparison, the Kahr outperforms it easily and noticeably, less recoil, better quality, easier to operate and shoot, better trigger etc.. There is a less expensive version out now, the Kahr CW9, if you want a tiny single stack 9, that would be one to check out, if you can carry something bigger, then that is usually better. There are also plenty of holsters that work well with a tucked in shirt, keeping the firearm well concealed and comfortable, comp-tac and crossbreed hybrid holsters are highly reguarded for this.

SmokingGun

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2009
    Absurdistan
    I personally want something more than a mouse gun if I am going to bet my life on it, I've been carrying for years, tried out a lot of handguns and holsters before my current setup. I carry an M&P 9c or GLOCK 30SF, both conceal well, I like the capacity, caliber and feel of the GLOCK better, but it is wide and blocky, carries fine under a jacket, or thick shirt, but it's a bit too big for summer "jeans and t-shirt" weather. I had the M&P9c before the GLOCK, and really like it, it's still my "summer carry" gun, just wanted something in a larger caliber, although 9mm really is sufficient, the same desantis cozy partner holster and mag holster works for both. I also have a Kahr PM9, and Ruger LCP. I will only carry them as a backup, although the PM9 could serve as a primary with a couple spare mags, they are smaller, a bit more difficult to shoot, and not only is capacity lower, but so is performance due to the really short barrels, they are also more difficult to draw and shoot fast compared to larger compacts. Compared to 9mm+p from a short barrel, 380 has about 1/2 the power, and barrier/clothing penetration is usually poor, so I opt for a duty caliber, but even 380 beats no gun at all. My brother Smokey0118 has a KT PF-9, we compared it to the Kahr, and frankly there isn't much of a comparison, the Kahr outperforms it easily and noticeably, less recoil, better quality, easier to operate and shoot, better trigger etc.. There is a less expensive version out now, the Kahr CW9, if you want a tiny single stack 9, that would be one to check out, if you can carry something bigger, then that is usually better. There are also plenty of holsters that work well with a tucked in shirt, keeping the firearm well concealed and comfortable, comp-tac and crossbreed hybrid holsters are highly reguarded for this.

+1 for the CW9 :party29:

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Thanks I will. Do you have experience w/ both if these? How is the reliability / accuracy? I'm going to have to go off reviews for all of these since ranges don't typically rent these options.

I own both of these and find them both very reliable. I consider both of these close quarters guns. The sights on the LCP are virtually non existant. The are a little larger on the LC9. The sight picture on both are obviously short. Accuracy is great for what they were made for. They are both great for CCW. If you find your way up to Western Maryland, I will be more than happy to let you shoot both of mine.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    How an RIA compact?

Park finish should be robust and easy to hide being a single stack. Still have 7 rds of 45 for stopping power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom