• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I am looking for recommendations for a .22 DA revolver to use in my classes. I have been using a set of Ruger Single Six pistols and then moving the students up to my S&W .38s.

Some of my students stated that they would have preferred to have a .22 revolver with double action.

Any suggestions or recommendations based upon owing or firing would be be appreciated!

Thanks!

JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    I agree with Guy, when I went through the pistol instructor class we had a S&W 6 shot DA 22 I liked it so much I began looking for one when I had the money. I have located a S&W 617 ten shot. It is great to start new shooters out with and a easy transition to center fire revolvers.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    As a Ruger fan, the S&W 617 is it. As good as a revolver gets in my opinion.

Attachments

• P1030193.jpg
      P1030193.jpg
      100.9 KB · Views: 203

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    I have a S&W 617 that looks exactly like the one Joppaj posted (replacement wood grip and all), except it's a 6-shot model instead of a 10-shot one. Oh my god is that gun awesome. It's not cheap, but if you're teaching premium classes, that is the gun for it.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    The 617 is a beauty, no doubt. But Taurus makes an equally capable and less expensive pistol. I've thought about this a lot, I recommend that the gun (22lr revolver) should be most (adults) first gun. It's all the gun most people will ever need.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Go with a S&W, Taurus is hit or miss, I checked out a Taurus 94 and it had a fairly smooth action, not quite as good as a S&W, but close. I made the mistake of not buying it then and there. Went back the next day and it was gone, so the shop ordered me one, while this one is ok it still seems rather stiff after around 500 rds, it did loosen up a bit.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I was orignally considering S&W 617 but the price put me off. I already have several S&W revolvers and I use the 22A model in my class already (along with Ruger Mark IIs, Sig Mosquitos, Beretta NEOS). The S&W 617 would be a nice fit.

Looks like I need to teach a few more classes to get the funds for my new 'teaching aids'!

Thanks to all for the input!

LeadPumper

Jul 20, 2008
    I picked up a good condition used 617 as a plinker for myself and as a training tool to step up to a 686 (both 4" barrels).

It's worth the money.

The same concept- I use an advantage arms .22 kit for the G17, and a Kimber .22 kit for a Custom series II .45. Use the same manual of arms with multiple calibers.

Good luck.

-Jeff

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I picked up a good condition used 617 as a plinker for myself and as a training tool to step up to a 686 (both 4" barrels).

It's worth the money.

The same concept- I use an advantage arms .22 kit for the G17, and a Kimber .22 kit for a Custom series II .45. Use the same manual of arms with multiple calibers.

Good luck.

-Jeff

Always good to hear a recommendation from another instructor. :thumbsup:

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    doesnt ruger make the sp101 in .22lr?

Not in their current lineup. They made it at one point, not sure how many are in the wild. A few months back someone posted a link to an auction where one was being sold. There is a .22LR and .22WRM version on the approved list, so they were made at one time. A 4" version with real adjustable sights would be nice. A baby GP100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom