• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Isn't that what adjustable gas blocks are for?

One more thing to fail. Under heavy use, I've seen too many either seized up from carbon, erode, or fail completely to trust them.

Piston ARs could be a good option (if you don't mind non-standard AR configurations.) They have their own issues, though.

PRI gas buster charging handle?

Not if you're left-handed (GB angles the gas *right at* your face. )

I always thought this looked like a good option, but have never tried one. (then again, you could probably just remove the forward assist all together.)

001-3.jpg

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    To answer the OP's question, I think the Silencerco Omega meets all the characteristics you listed. Hopefully they will become readily available in the next few months.

That was my first thought actually. It's still rather long (~8.x-ish with the mount module) and it's not as light as SCO wants you to believe - the mount module adds another 3-4oz to the weight, making it about as heavy as other 30cal cans. It's a cool can, but I decided it wasn't worth the wait and went with a 5.56 can.

I always thought this looked like a good option, but have never tried one. (then again, you could probably just remove the forward assist all together.)

[IMG ]http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee110/blackfly53/001-3.jpg[/IMG]

I wouldn't want to get rid of the forward assist as I've actually had to use it. Without a reciprocating charging handle, there's no way to get into battery without a forward assist if something happens.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    One more thing to fail. Under heavy use, I've seen too many either seized up from carbon, erode, or fail completely to trust them.

Piston ARs could be a good option (if you don't mind non-standard AR configurations.) They have their own issues, though.

001-3.jpg

Would not recommend removal of the FA but, the porting of one is interesting. I'm not a lefty so, no a huge concern to me. On the pistons, they're ok but they seem to lack adjustability and with so many different types of ammunition being used these days, you need some adjustability. I know this first hand.

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    Anyone try one of these? I require a forward assist.
    http://www.ar15news.com/2014/07/01/review-armageddon-tactical-gms-15-charging-handle/

If I was in the market for a new can, I would look at the new New Thunder Beast Ultra from Shot 2015. Even the 9" can is 11.9oz.

https://thunderbeastarms.com/news/introducing-the-ultra-series-shot-2015/

Nothing against Surefire, but it does not line up with your #1 priority. That said, get a 300BLK upper and they also just released a SOCOM 300 designed with noise being the #1 goal.

From a SF rep on another forum:
    The SOCOM300-SPS and the thread on version Genesis 762 are rated for 5.56 to 300 WM. I will have 5.56 and 300 WM data soon.
    10" 208 gr Hornady 120dB
    24" bolt gun 175gr SMK 129dB with the Genesis762.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom