• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    Another vote for the 36M, Love mine. IMO it's the ultimate AR can. In short config it is all of 5" long + mount, and sounds as good as any K can. I use the short config and 22cal flash hider cap for 5.56 primarily. In full size, it is excellent with 300BO or 9mm subs. I run it on my suppressed AK, and it works well, 308 bolt or AR308s, too. It can handle 350 legend, 8.6 blackout and is rated up to 338LM. You can go broke adding caps and mounts, but it is insanely versatile. I use griffin taper mounts and a plan A adapter, smaller/lighter, and no need to turn a lock ring like the ASR. The Charlie tapered mounts are awesome, they won't unscrew, and there are 3rd party mounts for it.

I have dedicated pistol cans, but I do use it on my 9mm PCCs, again sounds awesome. It will work on a 9mm handgun, but needs the booster housing and a piston, and at 1.5"OD it blocks more sights than standard 1.375" pistol cans. The booser housing is also required to use the 3 lug mount being it screws into that and not the supressor itself. I do agree with Erwos that suppressed handguns are mostly a novelty, and nowhere near as useful or fun as rifles and sbr/braced pistols. In this case a rifle can that can work on a handgun is a much better way to go than a pistol can that can work on a rifle. View attachment 455785
    You can't fire "lead projectiles" out of these?

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Unless you are running a 9mm full size handgun or a PCC, you may want to center your selection on the rifles. I have found many people who bought cans thinking they will shoot them a lot on their pistols actually don't. A heavy can on a light pistol may not work well and then there are the sights to think about.
    ^^This.

The only pistols I routinely use a can on are my .22 pistols with my rimfire can. I have yet to even TRY my 9mm can on any 9mm pistol. I do however ROUTINELY use my 9mm can on an assortment of rifles (two 9mm PCCs, 350 legend, 357, and 22s). I have a tri-lug mount on the can and run HK 3lug adapters on all the rifles, makes it EZ-PZ. Rugged Obsidian 9 btw.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Another vote for the 36M, Love mine. IMO it's the ultimate AR can. In short config it is all of 5" long + mount, and sounds as good as any K can. I use the short config and 22cal flash hider cap for 5.56 primarily. In full size, it is excellent with 300BO or 9mm subs. I run it on my suppressed AK, and it works well, 308 bolt or AR308s, too. It can handle 350 legend, 8.6 blackout and is rated up to 338LM. You can go broke adding caps and mounts, but it is insanely versatile. I use griffin taper mounts and a plan A adapter, smaller/lighter, and no need to turn a lock ring like the ASR.

I have dedicated pistol cans, but I do use it on my 9mm PCCs, again sounds awesome. It will work on a 9mm handgun, but needs the booster housing and a piston, and at 1.5"OD it blocks more sights than standard 1.375" pistol cans. I do agree with Erwos that suppressed handguns are mostly a novelty, and nowhere near as useful or fun as rifles and sbr/braced pistols. In this case a rifle can that can work on a handgun is a much better way to go than a pistol can that can work on a rifle.
    I love shooting my G41 with the Rugged 45. True not the most practical thing, like a can for hunting, but it is fun to shoot. My .22 gets the most usage as it is quieter than a high powered air rifle.
    ^^This.

The only pistols I routinely use a can on are my .22 pistols with my rimfire can. I have yet to even TRY my 9mm can on any 9mm pistol. I do however ROUTINELY use my 9mm can on an assortment of rifles (two 9mm PCCs, 350 legend, 357, and 22s). I have a tri-lug mount on the can and run HK 3lug adapters on all the rifles, makes it EZ-PZ. Rugged Obsidian 9 btw.
    I can't afford that many tri-lug adapters... :(

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I have 45 and 9mm home defense pistols that use cans. A 22 pistol with a can for plinking. Other than those I’m not really into having cans on pistols. The cans that get used the most are dedicated to rifles and AR pistols.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    You can't fire "lead projectiles" out of these?
    It is a welded can, so jacketed/plated, and use on rifles keeps it clean enough without any work. You can clean sealed cans by plugging it and filling with Dip or CLR, and this can has decent access to the baffles if you just want to brush out threads and the blast chamber or use a soda blaster. Still a lot of work. So best to avoid hardcast. I don't shoot poly coated, but those that do just use acetone to clean if they build up. Of course 22 subs through a rimfire can are the most fun of all, and most ammo is cast, so they MUST be user serviceable. rifle cans usually aren't user serviceable, pistol cans usually are, but many are welded.

I love shooting my G41 with the Rugged 45. True not the most practical thing, like a can for hunting, but it is fun to shoot. My .22 gets the most usage as it is quieter than a high powered air rifle.

I can't afford that many tri-lug adapters... :(
    Of course anything suppressed is fun, and rimfire with tiny cans is practical on handguns. I run Griffin taper mounts on rifles, 3 lug on PCCs and DT on rimfire and handguns. Thing is 3 lug can't take very high temps and pressures, the spring will overheat and deform and the collar will get chewed quick leading to baffle strikes. It is designed to use pressure to tighten up when fired, so if it is loose or leaks it is a big problem. Pistol calibers are fine of course, and usually 300BO subs, but they may or may not be rated for magnum calibers or rapid fire with 300 or 350 subs, and usually not supersonic 300bo or 350 legend.

Last edited:

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    Unless you are running a 9mm full size handgun or a PCC, you may want to center your selection on the rifles. I have found many people who bought cans thinking they will shoot them a lot on their pistols actually don't. A heavy can on a light pistol may not work well and then there are the sights to think about.

Yeah, it's really for the two rifle calibers. The 9mm is just more in terms of something I may want to try in the future and it'd be nice to have the option to use it. It's for a 226 legion and I don't even have a threaded barrel yet, but it does have the Romeo on it already along with the higher sights as well.

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    Bingo. The wait is why I grabbed two R9s at the same time lol. And then had a freak <90 wait on my T3 right after that.

But a dedicated pistol can would have saved me from this optic abomination...
    53523798078_06c535b066_c_d.jpg

I think that looks great.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    It is a welded can, so jacketed/plated, and use on rifles keeps it clean enough without any work. You can clean sealed cans by plugging it and filling with Dip or CLR, and this can has decent access to the baffles if you just want to brush out threads and the blast chamber or use a soda blaster. Still a lot of work. So best to avoid hardcast. I don't shoot poly coated, but those that do just use acetone to clean if they build up. Of course 22 subs through a rimfire can are the most fun of all.

Of course anything suppressed is fun, and rimfire with tiny cans is practical on handguns. I run Griffin taper mounts on rifles, 3 lug on PCCs and DT on rimfire and handguns. Thing is 3 lug can't take very high temps and pressures, the spring will overheat and deform and the collar will get chewed quick leading to baffle strikes. It is designed to use pressure to tighten up when fired, so if it is loose or leaks it is a big problem. Pistol calibers are fine of course, and usually 300BO subs, but they may or may not be rated for magnum calibers or rapid fire with 300 or 350 subs, and usually not supersonic 300bo or 350 legend.
    My can is rated for super 350 with the 3 lug. I’ve fired it quite a bit actually with supers at the range.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    It is a welded can, so jacketed/plated, and use on rifles keeps it clean enough without any work. You can clean sealed cans by plugging it and filling with Dip or CLR, and this can has decent access to the baffles if you just want to brush out threads and the blast chamber or use a soda blaster. Still a lot of work. So best to avoid hardcast. I don't shoot poly coated, but those that do just use acetone to clean if they build up. Of course 22 subs through a rimfire can are the most fun of all, and most ammo is cast, so they MUST be user serviceable. rifle cans usually aren't user serviceable, pistol cans usually are, but many are welded.

Sorry for my confusion, I'm barely more than a chimpanzee. Is plated/jacketed ok to be used in these or not? Didn't realize it was welded
    Actually a great question. Practically all rimfire cans are user serviceable due to lead bulletseven plated are just a thin copper wash and can still lead a barrel. Pistol cal might or might not be serviceable, but plated ammo has thicker jackets so lead usually isn't exposed. plated/jacketed are completely fine. Problem is with cast and polycoat bullets as they introduce a LOT of fouling from plastic or bullet lube, lead can build up, but usually only if something is wrong, or firing a lot of cheap under-lubed cast bullets. In a serviceable can, no problem, clean like a rimfire can. In a sealed can, the can can't be dissasembled to clean baffles. The only way a user can service them or get the fouling out is to use a silicone plug, then fill the can with a chemical to dissolve it, then flush, then when cleared out, fire with a hot caliber to bust up and blow out any residue. Basically a PITA, so IMO if you have a sealed pistol can, stick to plated/jacketed. If you want to fire cast, or suppress something like 300BO or 45/70 and want a regular diet of cast/polycoat, might consider a user serviceable rifle rated can like Griffin's Paladin or Bushwacker.

My can is rated for super 350 with the 3 lug. I’ve fired it quite a bit actually with supers at the range.

Supersonic centerfire rifle temps can easily overheat and burn out O rings and destroy the spring. Might have been lucky so far with slow fire. Which can and mount? most all 3 lug have a "pistol cal and 300 subs only" warning

first 5 min shows why:

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Actually a great question. Practically all rimfire cans are user serviceable due to lead bulletseven plated are just a thin copper wash and can still lead a barrel. Pistol cal might or might not be serviceable, but plated ammo has thicker jackets so lead usually isn't exposed. plated/jacketed are completely fine. Problem is with cast and polycoat bullets as they introduce a LOT of fouling from plastic or bullet lube, lead can build up, but usually only if something is wrong, or firing a lot of cheap under-lubed cast bullets. In a serviceable can, no problem, clean like a rimfire can. In a sealed can, the can can't be dissasembled to clean baffles. The only way a user can service them or get the fouling out is to use a silicone plug, then fill the can with a chemical to dissolve it, then flush, then when cleared out, fire with a hot caliber to bust up and blow out any residue. Basically a PITA, so IMO if you have a sealed pistol can, stick to plated/jacketed. If you want to fire cast, or suppress something like 300BO or 45/70 and want a regular diet of cast/polycoat, might consider a user serviceable rifle rated can like Griffin's Paladin or Bushwacker.

Supersonic centerfire rifle temps can easily overheat and burn out O rings and destroy the spring. Might have been lucky so far with slow fire. Which can and mount? most all 3 lug have a "pistol cal and 300 subs only" warning

first 5 min shows why:

I appreciate the subject matter expertise of everyone on the internet.

I have had direct messages with Rugged regarding 350 supers and my 3 lug, with their full endorsement of it being rated for it.

IMG_0837.png

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I appreciate the subject matter expertise of everyone on the internet.

I have had direct messages with Rugged regarding 350 supers and my 3 lug, with their full endorsement of it being rated for it.

View attachment 456053
    350 SAAMI specs at 55K PSI, odd they specify subsonic 300 and even 30-30, but not 350? perhaps due to the 16" barrel requirement vs 8" for 300BO /30-30 subs, and "belt fed rated" for 9mm only. Either way I would be really leery about full power supers through a 3 lug, although slow fire with moderate loads and a long barrel probably drop pressure enough at the muzzle to be OK. Most other brands have a separate rating for the 3 lug adapter, and if a can can take rifle pressures, they usually state it is only for DT or a rifle QD system

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Someone makes a locking (twist lock?) 3-lug adapter to solve the dead o-ring/spring problem but I can't remember where I saw it.

3-lugs, even on pistol cals are not maintenance free. They start to carbon up and the moving parts get 'sticky' (which can prevent them from locking on.) Have to clean & lube them once in a while. Love them though!

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I have ASR mounts on most of my rifles I shoot suppressed. All my rifle cans are SiCo. The mounts work very well. I did launch one can about 50 yards, but that was all my fault. I didnt tighten it all the way. SiCo fixed the strike no questions asked. I told them it was my fault.

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    Can someone ELI5 on the mounting?

So the Omega 36M comes with ASR Charlie.

Can I mount it directly to a barrel threaded with 5/8 - 24? Do I have to remove the ASR Charlie mount or get an insert or other adapter? I think I saw that somewhere in a video.

Something like this:

The other gun I want to use it on has M24x1.5 RH.

Can I just use an adaptor like this?

I know there are muzzle devices you can buy that will operate as muzzle devices and then also have the threading for the ASR Charlie as well, correct?

And then I have a threaded 9mm Barrel with 1/2x28 which again, I assume I will need something like this:

Does that sound about right?

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Can someone ELI5 on the mounting?

So the Omega 36M comes with ASR Charlie.

Can I mount it directly to a barrel threaded with 5/8 - 24? Do I have to remove the ASR Charlie mount or get an insert or other adapter? I think I saw that somewhere in a video.

Something like this:

The other gun I want to use it on has M24x1.5 RH.

Can I just use an adaptor like this?

I know there are muzzle devices you can buy that will operate as muzzle devices and then also have the threading for the ASR Charlie as well, correct?

And then I have a threaded 9mm Barrel with 1/2x28 which again, I assume I will need something like this:

Does that sound about right?
    You should be able to remove the ASR mount and use the adaptor. Thats what I do with the Hybrid and Saker..
    It depends on the can. Some of the older ones, the ASR is not removable. I use a Specwar 30 cal can that the ASR is not removable. I think I have 4 adaptors for the hybrid alone. So essentially you unscrew the ASR and screw in the the adaptor.
    BTW, I had to google ELI5.

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    You should be able to remove the ASR mount and use the adaptor. Thats what I do with the Hybrid and Saker..
    It depends on the can. Some of the older ones, the ASR is not removable. I use a Specwar 30 cal can that the ASR is not removable. I think I have 4 adaptors for the hybrid alone. So essentially you unscrew the ASR and screw in the the adaptor.
    BTW, I had to google ELI5.

Thank you. But I assume it does not come with a 5/8-24 adaptor, is that correct? So I have to purchase that separately? Seems like they should be a little more forgiving when you're already paying $1,000 for the can.

I thought I had seen ELI5 around here now and then, but maybe not. Either way you learned something new and I got a good response so thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom