• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    For the price of a Taurus, you can easily find an old S&W Model 10/14/15. There are a boatload of police trade ins out there. Once I got my S&W, I got rid of my Rossi.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    you sold the Rossi??

Did you get the NC Collectors Status :mad54:

Traded the Rossi for the Bersa and the Bersa for the Taurus. The Smith and Wesson will go nowhere. It's mine until I die. I just picked up a kydex holster for it today.

The Model 10 is my carry gun, the Hi Point is a goofy range gun (complete with a new trigger and springs, etc...) and the little Taurus is a backup.

There is no collector status here. :D As long as you have purchase permits from the sheriff, you can buy as many as you want whenever you want.

LEOs.....hell, you can buy cash and carry all day every day of you want.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Interesting to some comments geared towards smaller revolvers. I prefer Ruger for revolvers, but that's just me.

I have a Spurless DOA SP101 2" or so barrel; It is the absolute worst gun I own as far as developing a good skill with no matter how hard and often I practice. I've only run .357 factory loads through it too. I can shoot larger bore, larger frame revolvers a lot better than this little thing.

I just cannot get good with it, which to me is fun and a challenge but it's getting old. It's the only firearm I own that makes the nerves in my right hand starts to shake like Tom Hanks in Saving Private Ryan, after about 70-80 rounds of "punishment." I can sometimes barely keep 5 shots on the average paper plate at 7 yards. By my eye, it doesn't help the barrel is slightly screwed in crooked canting the front sight off a degree or two, so at 15 yards it shoots a little under 3 inches to the left.

I have even thought about trading it in towards something else, a revolver I can't shoot just doesn't seem like it's worth to have around.

I've been practicing with it for about a year, and just cannot "master" this platform to my liking. I've added the Hogue grips, and even went down to a 10lb hammer spring that hasn't had any issues setting off any primers.

I'm just wondering how many others have issues such as this, or have become proficient at such a small powerful wheel gun. I've been told not many can really shoot a snubbie good.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Interesting to some comments geared towards smaller revolvers. I prefer Ruger for revolvers, but that's just me.

I have a Spurless DOA SP101 2" or so barrel; It is the absolute worst gun I own as far as developing a good skill with no matter how hard and often I practice. I've only run .357 factory loads through it too. I can shoot larger bore, larger frame revolvers a lot better than this little thing.

I just cannot get good with it, which to me is fun and a challenge but it's getting old. It's the only firearm I own that makes the nerves in my right hand starts to shake like Tom Hanks in Saving Private Ryan, after about 70-80 rounds of "punishment." I can sometimes barely keep 5 shots on the average paper plate at 7 yards. By my eye, it doesn't help the barrel is slightly screwed in crooked canting the front sight off a degree or two, so at 15 yards it shoots a little under 3 inches to the left.

I have even thought about trading it in towards something else, a revolver I can't shoot just doesn't seem like it's worth to have around.

I've been practicing with it for about a year, and just cannot "master" this platform to my liking. I've added the Hogue grips, and even went down to a 10lb hammer spring that hasn't had any issues setting off any primers.

I'm just wondering how many others have issues such as this, or have become proficient at such a small powerful wheel gun. I've been told not many can really shoot a snubbie good.

While I liked the size of my Rossi .38 (S&W Model 36 clone), I couldn't hit a damned thing with it.

My carry gun is a 4 inch barrelled S&W Model 10 that I can shoot like a champ.

The extra 2 inches of barrel length made a world of difference.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

I have the 3" version and shoot .38 Special +Ps through it. What weight bullet are you using? I've also shot 125gr .357 through it with no issue. Heavier bullets recoil more, I suggest you shoot the .38s to get a better feel for the gun before you start with the Magnums.

Jim

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I've used heavy and light, but more heavy. also 40 total of non +P 38s throughout the year

I really like the fiocchi 140 grain I think it is, full metal jacket truncated nose.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I searched "revolver suggestions" and came up with this thread. There's a bunch of good suggestions on it, but would like to ask the group if anyone has ever purchased a used revolver from one of the online brokers... how did you assess wear on the top strap and forcing cone? Most of the images I see don't really focus in on this very critical area.

FWIW, I sold my lightly used 686 some years ago for $425 (with original box and papers). The prospects of finding one for this price is slim to none...

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    I'm not against Taurus revolvers entirely, but think of it this way...

Even ignoring quality arguments, a used S&W Police model in .38 will cost a bit less, and won't take a resale hit like a new Taurus gone used.

BeRight

Jul 19, 2012
    U might consider a shotgun with revolver as backup.

To me, the shotgun is to firearms what multi-tool is for portable tools. It can serve multi-purposes - with a simple barrel change, if one desires, precision for each application.

Many feel that todays quality built semi-auto pistols are as reliable as a revolver and provide many more choices in caliber and size.

Just food for thought - good luck with your choice.

m33p

Feb 17, 2012
    There was a big group buy on S&W model 64 trade in's a few months ago. Seems most people got a decent revolver for a great price from what i saw.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    There was a big group buy on S&W model 64 trade in's a few months ago. Seems most people got a decent revolver for a great price from what i saw.

This is one of those from that group buy. Keep your eyes out for another group buy on a Model 10 or 64 - and don't even think twice. This is a very nice handgun and is very comfortable to shot and is accurate.

Attachments

• IMG_0627.JPG
      IMG_0627.JPG
      58.6 KB · Views: 134

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads