• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4MDGunRights

Gun Totin' Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Morris Co, New Jersistan
    I don't think that you could possibly go wrong if you chose a Remington 5R in .308. I recently applied Cerakote to the receiver, barrel, bolt, and home-grown bolt knob. The bottom metal is from CDi Precision, and the scope is a SS 10x42HD, held on with Badger rings and rail. I tossed the X-mark trigger and put in an older Remington trigger tuned to 2 lbs. The muzzle is threaded to 5/8x24 for a Smith Vortex hider, or whatever else I might like to screw on later. I'll pick it up Friday from the smith who is applying glass bedding to the stock, and with that, I am pretty much done.
    5RDressed_as_zps3a47d79b.jpg

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Damn I need to get another job so I can make more money so I can spend It on bolt guns. I think I'm hooked.:lol:

No matter how many jobs you have or how many guns you have, there will always be more out there to spend even more money on.

Depending on how you look at it, I had an epiphany last night or made the mistake last night, to build my own rifle. So, I started looking at custom actions for a Remington 700 in .25-06 AI and decided on something around $1,000 for the action. http://www.bordenrifles.com/ Then, another $350 for an ER Shaw barrel with helical fluting. Then, another $250 for a Timney trigger. Then another $300 for a green Hogue stock with a full bedding block. All because I don't like the barrel on the Remington 700 SPS stainless and I don't want a black rifle like the Remington 700 Long Range. Oh well, it will be nice to have a semi custom rifle.

Can't wait to see what a .338 Lapua build with a Surgeon action is going to cost. Found the stock I want for that build and it starts at $1,050.

Like I said, no matter how many jobs you have or how much money you make, there is always a nice gun out there that will break the budget.

"The more money you make, the more money you spend."

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

Thanks. I remember buying some stuff from them a decade or so ago. Actually have an old paper catalog of theirs on the shelf but forgot completely about them.

What do you think about the Borden Timberline action? I was all set on Surgeon for a tactical rifle, but this .25-06 AI is going to be a hunting rifle. Can't see me using a Surgeon on a hunting rifle.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    I've been eyeing the Savage 11vt at Dicks. 24" heavy barrel with 1 in 10 twist, Accutrigger, Detachable box magazine, plus a cheapy 4 X 12 scope all for $500. I already have it in .223 and love it!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    What do you think about the Borden Timberline action? I was all set on Surgeon for a tactical rifle, but this .25-06 AI is going to be a hunting rifle. Can't see me using a Surgeon on a hunting rifle.

As I understand it, Sturgeon is impossible to get as an action. Only by buying a rifle from them.

I was planning on a Stiller for my next tactical rifle.

But a good gunsmith recommended the Kelbly Atlas.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I don't think that you could possibly go wrong if you chose a Remington 5R in .308. I recently applied Cerakote to the receiver, barrel, bolt, and home-grown bolt knob. The bottom metal is from CDi Precision, and the scope is a SS 10x42HD, held on with Badger rings and rail. I tossed the X-mark trigger and put in an older Remington trigger tuned to 2 lbs. The muzzle is threaded to 5/8x24 for a Smith Vortex hider, or whatever else I might like to screw on later. I'll pick it up Friday from the smith who is applying glass bedding to the stock, and with that, I am pretty much done.

5RDressed_as_zps3a47d79b.jpg

If you don't mind sharing, how much do you have in that setup? Thinking of something similar.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom