• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I am thinking of building another 10/22 rifle and am trying to decide on a receiver. My 3 choices are Kidd, Volquartsen, and Brownells BRN. The BRN is the most affordable and I feel like this is the way to go so I can spend the extra money on the important parts like the barrel, bolt, and trigger. My question is how important is it to have a high end receiver? Would I even notice a difference? I heard that Brownell's makes really nice affordable receivers and bolts. If you have done a 10/22 build and can share a pic and some advise I would love to hear. Thanks

K3LAG

I am not familiar with TI. What other parts do you use for your builds?
    I don't go too crazy. I use the Tactical Innovations small parts kits. Since most of my builds use an old 10-22 as a starting place I often use the original bolt and just clean it up real good. There are a lot of good drop in trigger packs out there these days. A lot of people like the drop in Ruger trigger pack for an easy solution. I've never used one. I have a Timney in one of mine and I forgot what's in the other. I have dissassembeled several original trigger packs and done a a trigger job on the internal parts. It's the cheapest way to go but I find the parts are a bit soft and a trigger job that feels good doesn't stay that way real long so I don't bother to do it any more.

Barrel choice is more critical to accuracy than any other part. All the fancy parts in the world won't make a bad barrel shoot well. Also, all the fancy parts in the world, will only marginally improve a good barrel that is mounted properly in a proper stock. I was a big fan of Majestic Arms Alumalite barrels but sadly they aren't available any more. Although I hate to spend the money for them I'd probably go with Tactical Solutions today. Tactical Innovation has some nice looking barrels but I have no idea if they are any good or not.

I've used a lot of Tandem Kross parts in my Ruger Pistols and I like them but I haven't built any rifles since I learned about them. I'm likely to give some of their 10-22 parts a try some day.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    "My question is how important is it to have a high end receiver?"
    Not at all.

"Would I even notice a difference?"
    No.

"Barrel choice is more critical to accuracy than any other part. All the fancy parts in the world won't make a bad barrel shoot well. Also, all the fancy parts in the world, will only marginally improve a good barrel that is mounted properly in a proper stock."

What he said.
    But get a SS REAL "match" barrel - like a Kidd. NOT a PetesP or Eabco etc.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    My question is how important is it to have a high end receiver? Would I even notice a difference?
    If you are starting a build from scratch, I would recommend the Kidd Supergrade receiver and barrel. It helps fix one of the weak points on the 10/22 receiver. It uses a different tenon to mount more securely. It also lets you have a rear mounting point if you want it. I have seen a lot of Kidd Supergrades go toe to toe with bolt guns and not give up much in terms of accuracy.

If you are just talking the standard receiver, I would go with any of the ones you listed.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    Well I should have mentioned what my intended purpose is for the gun. My bad. I am not looking for a competition bench gun. I have a CZ 457 bolt gun for that. And I have a 10/22 that I built already but it doesn't have an upgraded barrel just the original Ruger tapered barred non-threaded. It is a fun shooter and pretty accurate for what it is. I originally wanted to just put a new barrel on it but changed my mind because it it nice the way it sits. The new one I want to build is going to be another fun gun but with better accuracy and a nice bull barrel that is threaded so I can use my can with it. Plus I just like to build/tinker with things. Not sure how many people use a high end bull barrel like the Kidds suppressed but I want to. The stock I am thinking of using is a Hogue. Maybe something tactical like a Midwest Industries.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If you’re thinking about 80%
    I don't think you can legally build 80%s in MD anymore? Or am I misremembering that?

@KRC gave the right answer, though. Unless you need some sort of fancy feature like left-hand-side-charging, a second receiver lug, or the 11/22's removable top, a plain-jane Ruger 10/22 receiver is your best bet. Too many people buy bells and whistles, and then never have a 100% reliable gun due to the stacking tolerances induced by a third-party receiver. I would wager that I've seen more rounds put through 10/22s than 99% of shooters from my volunteer coaching.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I don't think you can legally build 80%s in MD anymore? Or am I misremembering that?

@KRC gave the right answer, though. Unless you need some sort of fancy feature like left-hand-side-charging, a second receiver lug, or the 11/22's removable top, a plain-jane Ruger 10/22 receiver is your best bet. Too many people buy bells and whistles, and then never have a 100% reliable gun due to the stacking tolerances induced by a third-party receiver. I would wager that I've seen more rounds put through 10/22s than 99% of shooters from my volunteer coaching.
    I think you can still buy/build 80% as long as you buy them serialized through an FFL?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I think you can still buy/build 80% as long as you buy them serialized through an FFL?
    Got it. In that case, there's no point whatsoever to that option, and you may as well just buy a Ruger stripped receiver from S&P Outfitters for a hundred bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom