• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • knownalien

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2010
    Glen Burnie, MD.
    #1 is it worth it?

#2 who in MD can do it??

I feel like in the near future my Yugo will need to be re-barreled as it had crud in it from a previous owner. It fires fine, but on looking inside it, there appears to be stuff I will never be able to get out.

It is what it is, but I hate to think a worn out barrel could mean throwing the baby out with the bath water.

straightsilver3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 2, 2011
    everywhere
    Look up industrail parnters in the forum there's a guy in Preston MD( Mid county gun ) who does AK barrels if he can't help try GEWEHR WERKS it's in Tipp City Ohio Tim does lots of AK'S he's doing mine now

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    How does it shoot? If it's just crudded up a good thorough cleaning (most here recommend Wipe-Out, myself included) should be all it needs. If it's seriously worn and inaccurate, then rebarreling is an option.

knownalien

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2010
    Glen Burnie, MD.
    How does it shoot? If it's just crudded up a good thorough cleaning (most here recommend Wipe-Out, myself included) should be all it needs. If it's seriously worn and inaccurate, then rebarreling is an option.

shoots fine. I'm just being anal that it ain't as pristine as my AR15's.

xcavater

Fed Up
    Oct 27, 2008
    MD
    It's an AK, leave it alone. It'll be the one you drag through the mud and take out it the rain and not worry about.
    Think you would feel that way after spending hundreds of dollars making it pretty?

jdramsey

Troll hunter.
    Aug 5, 2009
    St. Mary's Co. MD
    It's not that hard to rebarrel an AK. Of course I build my own to start with so my perspective my be a bit different than yours. Check APEXgunParts.com, AA-OK.com, or AK-Builder.com. Barrles can be had for $70 to $120 depending on your model.

Press barrel pin out, pull the barrel. Drive the pins out of the sight bases and gas block, and pull them from the barrel. Press parts onto the new barrel in reverse order. Drill out the pin holes, and pin the sight bases and gas block. Then press the barrel assembly back into the receiver and pin in place. Should take about 1-2 hours depending on the rate of beer consumption.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Fully agree with others, it's an ak. If it hits the area you intended, consistently, just clean as best you can and be done with it. I don't think I ever cleaned my first ak, was 18 then and didn't really care to be honest. But it went bang and stayed on the intended target, good enough for gov't work.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Known, after reading your horror-story with your dpms, I'd just clean it and let it be.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    If it groups well by AK standards, just clean it and shoot it. As bullets go down the bore they will lap away much of the grine that the scrubbing didnt take out.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    If it groups well by AK standards, just clean it and shoot it. As bullets go down the bore they will lap away much of the grine that the scrubbing didnt take out.

i feel like this is an underhanded crack at "ak accuracy" :lol2:

id say, blow 100 rounds through it rather fast, get it nice and hot, every 25 rounds or so run some oil down the barrel...after that, let it cool...clean it...take your time getting some accuracy results with it...try at 50 yards...but you really need to be focused so you can do your best...the rifle could be shooting perfectly, but if your rushing or not getting proper sight picture than its still going to look like shit.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    i feel like this is an underhanded crack at "ak accuracy" :lol2:

id say, blow 100 rounds through it rather fast, get it nice and hot, every 25 rounds or so run some oil down the barrel...after that, let it cool...clean it...take your time getting some accuracy results with it...try at 50 yards...but you really need to be focused so you can do your best...the rifle could be shooting perfectly, but if your rushing or not getting proper sight picture than its still going to look like shit.

Dont take it as such, AKs can be relatively accurate and I have a couple that can almost do 1 inch groups. Others not so and can cluster at 4 inch, depends on the quality of the gun and ability of the shooter to use iron sights well.

They just are not going to be a 1/2 MOA gun, but there probably are some out there that can.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Dont take it as such, AKs can be relatively accurate and I have a couple that can almost do 1 inch groups. Others not so and can cluster at 4 inch, depends on the quality of the gun and ability of the shooter to use iron sights well.

They just are not going to be a 1/2 MOA gun, but there probably are some out there that can.

fully agreed. id question if a 7.62x39 traditional style AK could even get that accurate...maybe with handloads...but i would expect more in the area of .75-1 MOA with tuned handloads...the barrel is just not stiff enough for any better accuracy, then again...is anything better than that needed? lol

i've seen several reports of saiga 223s pulling .5 MOA and sometimes better with tuned handloads, now that even impresses me quite a bit.

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    It's not that hard to rebarrel an AK. Of course I build my own to start with so my perspective my be a bit different than yours. Check APEXgunParts.com, AA-OK.com, or AK-Builder.com. Barrles can be had for $70 to $120 depending on your model.

Press barrel pin out, pull the barrel. Drive the pins out of the sight bases and gas block, and pull them from the barrel. Press parts onto the new barrel in reverse order. Drill out the pin holes, and pin the sight bases and gas block. Then press the barrel assembly back into the receiver and pin in place. Should take about 1-2 hours depending on the rate of beer consumption.

Use a comblock go gage, NOT a SAMMI. They are different! SAMMI may be too small for comblock ammo. A 7mm end mill is also needed to drill the pin hole in the barrel, a drill bit may walk and ruin the barrel.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    fully agreed. id question if a 7.62x39 traditional style AK could even get that accurate...maybe with handloads...but i would expect more in the area of .75-1 MOA with tuned handloads...the barrel is just not stiff enough for any better accuracy, then again...is anything better than that needed? lol

i've seen several reports of saiga 223s pulling .5 MOA and sometimes better with tuned handloads, now that even impresses me quite a bit.

My SLR95 is my best, my ARMCO does alright. Havent had a chance to take out my SLR106 I bought last Thanksgiving (need to shoot that thing before the warranty goes away!)

I am working up some handloads that i am testing in my bolt gun, pehaps give them a whirl in the AK as well. The cartridge has a surprising accuracy potential for what it is, I am pretty impressed as I can get some surplus down to less than 1/2" but some like the last case of Tula were 3" apart out of the same gun, same day.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    My SLR95 is my best, my ARMCO does alright. Havent had a chance to take out my SLR106 I bought last Thanksgiving (need to shoot that thing before the warranty goes away!)

I am working up some handloads that i am testing in my bolt gun, pehaps give them a whirl in the AK as well. The cartridge has a surprising accuracy potential for what it is, I am pretty impressed as I can get some surplus down to less than 1/2" but some like the last case of Tula were 3" apart out of the same gun, same day.

the real potential accuracy that 7.62 has can be shocking...poor loading, powder charge variations and nonuniform bullets cause alot of issues though. i would be VERY interested in seeing what results you get with handloads out of your AKs

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Nemesis is dead right there, Kalashnikov himself said the 7.62X39 round had a lot of potential and was interested in exploring it's capabilities/limits, but even he was told "good enough". Let's not even bring up 5.45, he wanted no part of it.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Nemesis is dead right there, Kalashnikov himself said the 7.62X39 round had a lot of potential and was interested in exploring it's capabilities/limits, but even he was told "good enough". Let's not even bring up 5.45, he wanted no part of it.

"you want to chamber my AKs in what?!?................i need a martini..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom