• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oliveralan

Nov 18, 2009
    McLean, Virginia
    Ok here's the deal, my searches have turned up nothing so far.

My father who is just getting into hunting is buying at least one can to put on his 300 whisper bolt gun with NV scope. However I am almost certain he is going to buy another as I own several rifles and I'd like to have one too :D

my question is, how can I use one of the cans when I go to hunt (hogs and varmints where legal) and more importantly target shooting on my own property or the modified f-class matches at quantico. My dad is just getting into hunting but has zero interest in competitve shooting, while I shoot matches all the time.

How can this be done? So essentially 2 family members both have the right to use said can.

Here's the kicker, I'm 17. I was thinking a trust with both of us named as beneficiaries.

This is all about Virginia, not MD.

Thanks for your help.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    As a beneficiary, you will need to transfer the can. This is due to a transfer of ownership.

You need to be setup as a Trustee, or alternate at least.

OBTW: the age limits imposed by the BATFE still apply, so if you are underage a custodian should have been appointed.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    I just wen through this and my lawyer tells me that anything that's class III you have to be of age to use it even if you're a beneficiary/trustee.

The age alone DQ's you from legally using the can and you have to be a trustee to transfer the can out of state but I see that you're in VA so no need for that.

My trust is set up that the ball and chain can use said items in the trust because she's a trustee but "legally" as per my lawyer my kids are not allowed to use them. I think if you go the trust route it would be best for your dad to take the can to your shooting event and always be present and have him have control of the can always.

You dont want to have your dad end up in Club fed.

I am not a lawyer. This is just about my very limited experience after speaking to my lawyer on Friday when she gave me my Trust. The lawyer stressed me that even if my kids are beneficiaries they need to be of age to use any of the items.

Oliveralan

Nov 18, 2009
    McLean, Virginia
    It was my understanding that this wouldn't be possible, just wanted to make sure there was no way I hadn't thought of. How about when I'm 18? Seeing as by the time the paperwork clears I will almost be 18.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    It was my understanding that this wouldn't be possible, just wanted to make sure there was no way I hadn't thought of. How about when I'm 18? Seeing as by the time the paperwork clears I will almost be 18.

patience, gtrasshopper:lol:
    there's a bright line here. yes, it's arbitrary, and infringing, but bright nevertheless. best stay well to the safe side of it.

your 18th birthday -- this too shall pass...:party29:

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    being a part of an INC. would prob be the only way both of you could use it...its not really a whole lot of money to get one started...but again most likely have to wait till you are 18...read up on it some...could be helpful

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom