• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA
    I moved here last year and haven't found a regular range. I live in Colesville and am looking for recommendations. My old range back in WA was only open on Saturdays and Sundays but it was $5, shoot as long as you like, targets included, bring your own ammo. I did hear about one range in Montgomery County that doesn't allow shooters to bring heir own ammo but rather, forces shooters to buy ammo from them? Don't know if that's true-just something I heard.
    Anyone got a favorite range reasonably close to Colesville? Preferably something that allows me to bring my own ammo?

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    On target in laurel isn't far off 295 and you can bring your own ammo. Might be a drive for ya and its packed on the weekends.

PIT BULL

Mar 5, 2013
    Md. Small Arms Range is in Upper Marlboro off of Pennsylvania Ave. I believe it is $20.00 a day. You can either buy their ammo or you can bring your own. Same with targets. It is a nice indoor range. They also have rifle/shotgun ranges also.

tm12

Dec 22, 2012
    Gilbert's Indoor Range in Rockville does require you to purchase ammo from them, but it is due to a Mo Co regulation. They have several different types of memberships (required to use the facility), including a weekly (trial).

We go their because it is close to where we live and a good place to take our kids (esp when the weather isn't great). The people who work there have all been nice to us and the ammo prices haven't been outrageous. Due to ammo shortages nationwide, they are limiting the number of boxes for certain calibers. You might want to call before you go to make sure they have what you need in stock. BTW-shotguns are slugs only. They are usually busy on the weekends.

We have recently been using the Associated Gun Clubs (AGC) of Baltimore range. While it is further from Mo Co, the drive isn't bad. The facilities are nice and we've met a lot of great people there. In order to purchase a badge for AGC, you have to be a member of one of the participating gun clubs. There are a lot of options and they are listed on the AGC website (http://www.associatedgunclubs.org) with links to the individual clubs so that you can contact them directly about their membership requirements and application process.

Good luck.

casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA
    Thanks for the replies so far. I guess I should have been more specific on the range. Sorry about my ignorance. I'm still trying to adjust to MD's rules. Back in WA, my range was $5 per day, shoot anything you want (rifle, shotgun, pistol, etc). I guess I'm just used to that. Anyway, I don't care if the range is indoor or outdoor. But I have rifles, shotguns, and pistols and like to shoot all of them. I've done a bit of research-man there are a LOT of rules here. But everyone knows that.
    I hate the idea of having to pay to use a range AND buy their ammo. Maybe I'm shortsighted on that...maybe it's because I'm not used to that...but it just doesn't sit well with me.
    Again though-thanks for the replies so far.

scottymd

Mar 2, 2013
    MoCo Ag zone
    You are probably only 15-25 mins from the Damascus Izaak Walton League. Great bunch of guys and great ranges. Yearly membership is cheap as well. We have skeet and trap also.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Someone said you're not far from Damascus. If that's so, and you don't mind a country drive into WV, there's also 340 Defense. You can shoot most anything there and they go up to 400 yds. If you go more than a few times, you'll need to join. 400 yd is available only after you've qualified with MOA group at 100 yds.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    NRA Range in Fairfax. 25 minutes from Bethesda (Rt 66 and RT 50) In the basement of NRA HQ. Beautiful facility. Bring your own ammo or buy (limit on amounts-2 boxes?) 15 lanes. 50 yards. Up to 460 Weatherby magnum. Shotgun=slugs only. Free Wifi. Nice lounge. You have to take a short written safety test prior to shooting. $14.00 for NRA members $18.00 for non members. It's my preferred range. VA is an OC state so oncce out of MD , you can OC if you desire, including in the range. Great Museum as well.

NRA Range Link

myuen021078

Jan 18, 2013
    Rockville
    I too go to Gilbert's in Rockville since I live so close, but I recently just joined AGC as well and I am going to get my range badge tomorrow, looking forward to shooing at AGC, I have yet to try the NRA range but I have been meaning to check it out as well.

redhawk_hj

May 29, 2013
    montgomery county
    gilberts in Rockville is a joke. we went there a few months ago and I understand you are not able to bring your own ammo because of county laws but they limited the box limits to 1 box per caliber per customer and the prices for a box of .45 was over 40 dollars unless you signed up for the yearly membership and even then it was still about 30 or so. long story short, to go shoot a box of ammo and pay the daily fee it was well over $60. You are better off joining an Izaak Walton league where you can do everything and meet people while also making use of the trails and camping/hunting that many of them have...

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I too go to Gilbert's in Rockville since I live so close, but I recently just joined AGC as well and I am going to get my range badge tomorrow, looking forward to shooing at AGC, I have yet to try the NRA range but I have been meaning to check it out as well.

Neither will disappoint you.

Philoctete

Jul 11, 2013
    MD small arms range works fine for me. Not the best place to shoot, and a little expensive unless you really plan to hang out for a while. That $20 covers a guest, too, if you want to bring someone. Be sure to bring your own ammo. Theirs is way overpriced.

They also have a decent selection of handguns to rent if you want to try something new. You have to buy their ammo if you rent their guns, though.

Good luck!

Philoctete

Jul 11, 2013
    But I also agree with the guy who suggested the Damascus Izaak Walton League. I wish I lived close enough for IWLA to make sense for me.

tvng22

May 9, 2013
    I wouldnt recommend going to Gilberts, terrible range in terms of price and customer service. MSAR is a great range, 20 bucks a day, BYOA, rentals are like 7 bucks and there's no range nazis hanging over your shoulder. Havent had any issues with other shooters ( at least on the rifle lanes)

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    In upper Monkey Co, there are a couple of outdoor Isaac Walton ranges. I use the one near Damascus. They are private clubs and you must be a member. Straight up Georgia Ave and go west on 108. Just before Damascus, turn right on Mullinix Mill. Can be crowded on weekends, so I try to hit it on weekdays. After initiation fees, the annual dues are about $130 for unlimited use. Also has archery range and air gun programs. Besides training and youth programs, it has extensive cowboy action shooting if you are in to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom