• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ak44

Sep 15, 2009
    I'm wondering if anyone had suggestions on a good range that was at least 50yds long and allowed class III. Preferably indoor but outdoor will do. It seems that the ranges everyone is talking about on this forum do not allow Class III. I'm in Laruel and I'm not trying to drive to far to go shoot. Any ideas?

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Berwyn Rod and Gun CLub in Bowie allows all class III including full auto, but full auto users must pass a class or test to get a special badge to allow them to shoot ful auto on the range (not a big deal if you can already handle your full auto).
    The range is right past Bowie State University on rt 197. HOwever, it is a private club and it is pricey to join (but personally I think it is definitely worth it if you can afford it because the range and the people are great).

As far as indoor, I think Select FIre in the Glen Burnie/Severna Park area might allow full auto, but I also hear the owner is an ******* and might not be worth the stress.

Ak44

Sep 15, 2009
    BRGC looks interesting, although I'm not too kosher with the idea of gun clubs. Simply for the fact that I am paying to be a member and than I would have to volunteer to work for the range/club. Novus are you a memeber there?

A guy tried to talk me in to the Isaac Walton league and I would be on probation or some non sense like that and have to do service hours on top of the membership dues I would have to pay. I just want to find a place that allows me to bring my own ammo, allows me to shoot class III, no Range Nazi's, and nothing else required of me other than a membership fee.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    BRGC looks interesting, although I'm not too kosher with the idea of gun clubs. Simply for the fact that I am paying to be a member and than I would have to volunteer to work for the range/club. Novus are you a memeber there?

A guy tried to talk me in to the Isaac Walton league and I would be on probation or some non sense like that and have to do service hours on top of the membership dues I would have to pay. I just want to find a place that allows me to bring my own ammo, allows me to shoot class III, no Range Nazi's, and nothing else required of me other than a membership fee.

I doubt things have changed, so this info I am about to give is probably still good.

You do not have to volunteer for stuff to do outside of or at Berwyn when you become a member. Volunteering is good and greatly appreciated, but not mandatory when I was there.
    I used to be a member there, but being out of work shortly after I joined kept me from renewing my membership and I have not been able to afford it at the right time ever since.....but I expect to be a member again someday.

Berwyn has no range Nazis because as a member you are a range officer so to speak. It is mostly self policiing when I was a member there after the renovations of the range.

Like I said before, full auto is fine there at Berwyn, but you still have to take a test to show that you can handle the firearm and won't put holes in their expensive columns and baffles. Once you have the red badge (or at leasty I think it used to be called that), you are good to go to town.

Ak44

Sep 15, 2009
    Novus, seems very interesting. I might have to email them for a range tour and what not. Thanks for the post!

Ak44

Sep 15, 2009
    Looks nice but it's too far away. 2+ hrs each way not to mention traffic is not ideal for me.

motoduck

Dec 20, 2007
    Annapolis
    Berwyn

Berwyn has 3 ranges. A 50' range, 50 yard and 100 yard range. All are covered. Generaly speaking if you shoot during the week you will likely have the range to yourself. On the weekend it is a little more crowded but is never a problem. The process to join takes some time but it is well worth it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not sure of your vintage Nnovus, but since "reopening" the range rules have gone up exponnentially, and available facilities way down, and dues up. Service hours are required, but can be paid for innstead of serving.
    Close, cheap, and few rules is kinnd of like the joke about mechanics : fast, good, and cheap. You can have one, sometimes two, but not all three.
    Once upon a decade Md Small Arms allowed full auto , abliet pistol cal, and 25 yds. Check for current policy.

Teemus

MSI Executive Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    You can shoot full auto at the AGC Pistol range in Marriottsville, but only after qualifying on a qualification day and then you may only shoot full auto on days when a full auto shoot is scheduled (usually about once a month.) Call the range at 410-461-8532 for details.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Not sure of your vintage Nnovus, but since "reopening" the range rules have gone up exponnentially, and available facilities way down, and dues up. Service hours are required, but can be paid for innstead of serving.

No, service hours are not required nor are your dues reduced if you volunteer.

The rules are pretty much in line with rules from most clubs in the area. They did add many to prevent anything from leaving the range as a condition of getting insurance. They do not allow other than paper targets on approved stands and have height rules for the bullseye based on the range and shooting position (bench, prone, standing). They don't allow shooting on the move. They don't allow drawing and firing from a holster except on the same side and like class III you need to prove to someone, one time, that you know what you are doing. As to facilities, they did not re-open the 200 yard range because of money to do the necessary renovations. They also do not operate the trap range on a scheduled basis any longer but I believe that was just due to under-use.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Close, cheap, and few rules is kinnd of like the joke about mechanics : fast, good, and cheap. You can have one, sometimes two, but not all three.
    Once upon a decade Md Small Arms allowed full auto , abliet pistol cal, and 25 yds. Check for current policy.
    I joined after re-oppenning, but haven't been a member since the service requirement and never heard of it. The only facility I heard of that is not there anymore is the use of the 200 yard range (for now). The rules they had may have been stricter than before they closed, but that is probably because as I understand it, it was incredibly lax with almost no rules before. The rules they have are not nearly as bad as many of the other ranges I have heard of and they are really just there to prevent people from shooting the expensive renovations as I gathered. I loved Berwyn and could live with the rules, I just wish it was more affordable.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Silver Eagle Group, down in NoVA, is indoors and lets you shoot full auto. In fact, they have a class on them (which, presumably, involves shooting them).

I don't _believe_ qualification is required, although they'll probably be keeping a very close eye on you (and their ceilings!).

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Continental Arms in Timonium - 25yds/indoor/can rent Class 3 there. No ammo over 2000fps.
    Several employees are members here and may chime in.

The Gnome

Apr 21, 2008
    Select Fire in Glen Dirty. People say they can be a--holes. I have shot there once about two years ago and was treated well.

M

MDukes

Silver Eagle Group, down in NoVA, is indoors and lets you shoot full auto. In fact, they have a class on them (which, presumably, involves shooting them).

I don't _believe_ qualification is required, although they'll probably be keeping a very close eye on you (and their ceilings!).

You can shoot anything up to and including 50BMG on all three of SEG's indoor ranges (2x25yd, 1x50yd)... is in Ashburn, VA, a minute from Redskin's Park or a few miles from Dulles Airport, whichever is the better reference for you.
    Silver Eagle Group
    let me know what you think, or if you have any questions...

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    You can shoot anything up to and including 50BMG on all three of SEG's indoor ranges (2x25yd, 1x50yd)... is in Ashburn, VA, a minute from Redskin's Park or a few miles from Dulles Airport, whichever is the better reference for you.
    Silver Eagle Group
    let me know what you think, or if you have any questions...

Hey Mdukes: did you hear about MDShooters from my range form on Sunday? LOL :thumbsup: Welcome!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom