• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goneshootin88

Sep 22, 2009
    MOCO
    Has anyone ever had a day at the range they wish never happened?
    Here's mine . . .

Finally a nice weekend and now more snow on the ground! It must have been great right? WRONG! I finally made it down to my family's land in VA to shoot for the weekend. I brought my "new" mosin and amd-65 to try out for the first time as well as my S-12, Remington 597, RRA AR, and my CZ p-01. I was excited to shoot the amd-65 because it was my first AK style rifle. Well, after the first 4 shots it wouldn't fire. The pin that holds the hammer in place had come out and the hammer was sitting sideways in the receiver:mad54:. After i figured out wtf was wrong, I then had to fix it and find something to hit the pin back in with (my range is in a field pretty far away from the house). Once i got that done it shot fairly well but the trigger doesn't always reset (and suggestions?). Then I put my CMMG .22 kit in my AR and it started acting up and only working about every other shot:envy:. So i already had the .22 ammo out so I pulled out the 597. After about 80 rds through it the trigger completely froze up and it wouldn't work. Needless to say I was/am pissed. Thankfully the CZ (over 1100 rds without a single problem) and the Saiga-12 served me well. It was definitely one of "those days

RCH

Will work for ammo.
    Mar 18, 2007
    PG County
    Bummer. I feel your pain, sometimes it feels like nothing goes right- aim is off, ammo is not working the action, etc...

brianluck

village idiot
    May 28, 2009
    lansdowne
    not to be a smart ass, but a small tool kit and cleaning and lube supplies should be a good add on to your gear bag.

what .22 ammo were you shooting. my buddy has had sme shitty .22 ammo and it either failed to feed every other round or wouldn't cycle.

with your ak? was the keeper spring properly in the grove on the pin?

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Best bet on the AMD is to have your dealer try and send it back from another. Century (assuming it is a Century) is usually pretty good about replacing bum guns. If not, Midway has a trigger group from Arsenal USA that costs around 20 bucks, you might want to try that. Pins should not be coming out, you may want to try replacing the retainer spring with a retaining plate like Red Star Arms makes. Not a bad idea anyway because it makes the gun much easier to resassemble.

Teemus

MSI Executive Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    I would get rid of all of these guns immediately. I don't want any parts of any firearm that fires intermittently unless all I ever intend to do with the thing is punch holes in paper. If there is even a .0000000000000000000001% chance that you ever plan to use that firearm to protect yourself/your family do you really want to hope that you don't have a malfunction?

goneshootin88

Sep 22, 2009
    MOCO
    It could have been far, far worse.
    At least nobody got any holes in them.
    Very true
    not to be a smart ass, but a small tool kit and cleaning and lube supplies should be a good add on to your gear bag.

what .22 ammo were you shooting. my buddy has had sme shitty .22 ammo and it either failed to feed every other round or wouldn't cycle.

with your ak? was the keeper spring properly in the grove on the pin?
    I do keep a tool kit in my range bag just not a punch and hammer. I wouldn't want to take the 597 down in the field; to many small parts. And everything was cleaned and lubed the night before. The .22 ammo was 2 different types of Winchester high velocity and mini mags. And I believe the spring was in the groove but not positive.

goneshootin88

Sep 22, 2009
    MOCO
    I would get rid of all of these guns immediately. I don't want any parts of any firearm that fires intermittently unless all I ever intend to do with the thing is punch holes in paper. If there is even a .0000000000000000000001% chance that you ever plan to use that firearm to protect yourself/your family do you really want to hope that you don't have a malfunction?
    I see what your saying but these are not my HD guns so unless I cant fix the problems, they are going to stay around for awhile

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Very true

I do keep a tool kit in my range bag just not a punch and hammer. I wouldn't want to take the 597 down in the field; to many small parts. And everything was cleaned and lubed the night before. The .22 ammo was 2 different types of Winchester high velocity and mini mags. And I believe the spring was in the groove but not positive.

If you've got a screwdriver you've got enough of a hammer to get a stubborn trigger pin home in an AK. And to prevent the pins walking out on you in the future, go to Home Depot and get little E-clips or lynch pin clips to hold them in. Just take one of your pins in and buy a little bag of them and put them on the hammer and the trigger pin :party29:

As for the trigger not resetting, take off the top cover and cycle the action by hand while you hold the trigger down, you might be able to see your issue..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom