• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rayg5102

Apr 12, 2009
    Frederick
    So today was my first trip to the range with my nex XDM 9mm. It is my third time shooting altogether. I see I all around the bull, but I figured no all that bad. Does anyone see anything jump out that might be a quick fix?

I know its gonna take time, but hey, I think I did pretty good.
    Welcome any advise

sdorry, trying to add photos, but not doing a good job of it. Attachements not working correctly

Last edited:

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    play w/ the back strap and see what fits the best... since i got my xdm.. learned how to shoot "combat grip" and has improve since.. my hands still moves around and once awhile still jerking the trigger (bad habits).

just practice and see whats best for you.

todays shoot.. 10 yards.

Attachments

• IMG_0054_0009.jpg
      IMG_0054_0009.jpg
      32.2 KB · Views: 131

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    go to the range more and practice....

take your time on each shot you put down range and practice good fundamentals: sight picture, breathing, trigger squeeze etc etc. get in the zone each time. If it takes 10-20 sec b/n each shot then so be it. fundamentals and practice

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    thats way better than the others i see on the range.. like what other say.. practice more.

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    After shooting for may years I finally broke down and took a basic pistol class, can't recommend it enough, especially while your a new shooter. It's much harder training yourself with the proper fundamentals after you already learned yourself the wrong way... :) Once you learn proper grip, trigger control and sight picture you'll do nothing but improve. The class I took was at the CCJA in Fredricksburg VA. Tom is a very patient guy with new shooters. And there's a few members here that are great instructors I hear, but I don't have any personnel experience with them. You will also learn important things about actually being involved in a gunfight with a good class, just in case.

rayg5102

Apr 12, 2009
    Frederick
    thanks all for the good words. Practice, practice , practice. I fully understand.
    I do believe I will look into a class. Makes sense.

thanks again

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    In all the photos, it looks like the bad guy would be down to me :).

Here is what I am working on:
    Shooting with both eyes open because that's what you will be doing in a bad situation.
    Shooting at close range without using the sights. It's really not that tough, but it takes some pracitce and your groups will not be as tight. Again, this is what you would be doing if the guy was coming at you within 5yds.
    Fast target aquisition using only the front sight. I do this out to 10 yds.
    Good groupings at 17yds. Wow, this is the toughest for me. even though I am not good at those distances, I am within inches of the bull and, really, I probably would not be shooting at a bad guy at that range.

I try to work on something every time I go to the range. I believe in practicing with a purpose from my sports days.

I think if you have a practice goal in mind, it makes blasting holes in paper more fun and productive.

....but I still suck :).

Splitter

badguyRL

~Sexy~ Junior Memeber
    May 24, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    In all the photos, it looks like the bad guy would be down to me :).

Here is what I am working on:
    Shooting with both eyes open because that's what you will be doing in a bad situation.
    Shooting at close range without using the sights. It's really not that tough, but it takes some pracitce and your groups will not be as tight. Again, this is what you would be doing if the guy was coming at you within 5yds.
    Fast target aquisition using only the front sight. I do this out to 10 yds.
    Good groupings at 17yds. Wow, this is the toughest for me. even though I am not good at those distances, I am within inches of the bull and, really, I probably would not be shooting at a bad guy at that range.

I try to work on something every time I go to the range. I believe in practicing with a purpose from my sports days.

I think if you have a practice goal in mind, it makes blasting holes in paper more fun and productive.

....but I still suck :).

Splitter

+1 on that!
    Don't ever feel like you have to spend a lot of ammo to have a good time. Especially in today's economy and ammo shortage situation, if you can spend an hour at the range and only fire off 50 rounds of ammo but get all your shots within 2 moa, then good for you!

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    Plus, that's where a .22 comes in, at least for me. I can praqctice point shooting, flash shooting, and presentation without "wasting" thirty five cents a shot. One hand, weak hand, same advantage. Then take a few of these shots with the higher calbier guns. It saves me a LOT of money.

I also try to shoot from different stances because I doubt I will take the time to assume my normal stance in a bad situation.

For me, it took a LOT of experimantation to get comfortable. I shoot with bent arms for nearer targets because old elbow injuries start barking at me after only a couple mags of .45 if I stiffen my arms. I save the longer distances, where I do use straight arms for the end of a session because after that, I hurt.

There seems to be at least a dozen theories on grip. I researched all I could fins and experimented with tem until I found one that worked for me. All the grips seem to have their inherint advantages and disadvantages, so I don't think one will work for all (thumb placements and push pull differences mainly).

Training, research, time, and practice....just like most things.

In the end, on a poor shooting day, you can always blame the gun :).

Splitter

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom