Random people delivering/selling steaks?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROBAR35

Living the farm life
    May 20, 2010
    Howard Co.
    Alright, we have been in western Howard County for just over 2 years now and we have had at least two incidents of random people "delivering" steaks door to door. What the heck is up with this? These people do not look like the most reputable people on the planet either. Is this something that is legitimate, or are these people casing my house? Today, I met the guy on the walkway before he even made it to the door as my dog was barking in the background. Luckily, the newborn did not wake up.

If this is legit, are the steaks worth buying?

Yep they are out here in West Freindship all the time. I'm on a very large farm with a very long driveway ( about 1 mile long) and this dude comes all the way back, pulls up to the house and proceeds to get out of the truck while I'm standing outside by the garage. What he failed to see was my 3 rottweilers that were laying on the deck. LOL. I think he was so rattled after racing back to the truck his sales pitch went right out the window. Said he was sorry to bother me and got the hell outa there. I'm sure would have been more freindly if they knew what he was selling. LOL

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Shady backdoor meat deliveries....sounds like Dupont Circle to me..

MPDC care to advise? (the other day i saw him directing traffic in assless chaps and a traffic vest. ONLY those two)

markgrutz

Feb 1, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Using the old "we are all vegetarians" line works every time... It's not true, but there is not much they can say to counter it :) I have to pull that one 3 or 4 times a year in the Ellicott City area.

Mark

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Using the old "we are all vegetarians" line works every time... It's not true, but there is not much they can say to counter it :) I have to pull that one 3 or 4 times a year in the Ellicott City area.

Mark

They must hit your neighborhood first and then head my way since I have only seen them once every spring. Probably come out to the "boonies" if they cannot sell everything in the "city".

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Don't want to jack the thread but it is along the same lines. "hey buddy, you want to buy some speakers? My boss accidentally loaded too many on my van so I will make you a great deal!" I know I'm dating myself since in the day and age of iPods and smart phones people don't really buy home stereo systems anymore.

lol - I had somebody pull up to me in Montgomery County once and offer to sell me some discounted speakers. Must have been early 90's because I was actually driving my Mustang, which has sat in the garage pretty much since then.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I remember that scam well. Alwyas a van and tried to prey on young people. Had huge speakers with total shit coponents in them. Always the same story.
    I wouldn't buy meats out of a truck refridgerated or not. Always see Capital Meat trucks on the beltway.

1969sschevelle

Dec 28, 2012
    Lost Farmland County MD
    Yep they are out here in West Freindship all the time. I'm on a very large farm with a very long driveway ( about 1 mile long) and this dude comes all the way back, pulls up to the house and proceeds to get out of the truck while I'm standing outside by the garage. What he failed to see was my 3 rottweilers that were laying on the deck. LOL. I think he was so rattled after racing back to the truck his sales pitch went right out the window. Said he was sorry to bother me and got the hell outa there. I'm sure would have been more freindly if they knew what he was selling. LOL

Yes ,why they keep coming back to W.F. I don't know. I do know they are shady and sketchy looking.Told them to not come back before. Ran their tag before,and found out back ground . All kind of bad things on their record.
    Best advice,call up some back up right away and have them hassled out of town.
    Hopefully for good. Giant, Safeway,SAMs, Costco..... Better choice.

markgrutz

Feb 1, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    I am sure the folks in retail have seen the artwork guys. Same story everytime, they oversold a job and are now selling the extra at a great discount. They used to hit my store all the time, even hit the fire station once with velvet Ray Lewis Ravens art!!!

Mark

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    The meat selling is legitimate....the guys they hire....well....that is ANOTHER story...hahahaha...I have met a few years & years ago. HIGH TURNOVER....and I would think the past 10 yrs or so....they will hire anyone with a decent enough driving record and somewhat presentable...:-)

I would think it would be a great cover job for guys casing houses....but...probably not that manyh really.

As far as the over pricing....the company prices the steak at FULL RETAIL...so the overcharge is actually the guys commission.hahhaha They used to be able to cut prices and negotiate to make a sale..not sure nowadays....I have never bought anything, but then, I am pretty darn choosy about my steaks!! I usually only buy from A. local butcher B Giant or C. Safeway.....

There is a place in Waldor "Nicks" they actually sell "PRIME" USDA rated meats, which you do not find very often any more..sometimes it is EXCELLENT and others...it is just real good...of course..it really depends on the GRILL MASTER also :-)!!

MEDIUM RARE PLEASE!!!

dan8480

Gun Addict
    Feb 23, 2008
    Adams County
    Yes ,why they keep coming back to W.F. I don't know. I do know they are shady and sketchy looking.Told them to not come back before. Ran their tag before,and found out back ground . All kind of bad things on their record.
    Best advice,call up some back up right away and have them hassled out of town.
    Hopefully for good. Giant, Safeway,SAMs, Costco..... Better choice.

How do you run their tags??

janxster

Sep 15, 2012
    I remember when I was 18 or so my buddy wanted me to do that with him but it was a big cooler in the back of a pick up. He was legit but just young cheap labor for the distributor. But I can see how they would hire shady characters. They are just interested in cheap labor. I also remember a kid coming to my place when I was in Catonsville like 10 yrs ago selling these frozen thin pieces of meat and calling them steaks. He was ok, just trying to make a buck.

CSS

Nov 30, 2012

You got it. These guys will pressure you to the point of feeling like the police should be called or you will need to defend youself. They were selling steaks out of a beat up pick-up truck with a freezer strapped down in the bed. Not to mention both guys looked like they just got released from prison. Check out some of the other complaints online :sad20:

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    You got it. These guys will pressure you to the point of feeling like the police should be called or you will need to defend youself. They were selling steaks out of a beat up pick-up truck with a freezer strapped down in the bed. Not to mention both guys looked like they just got released from prison. Check out some of the other complaints online :sad20:

I have the had the same situation at my house. I used to let them go through there thing and all, then decline, then they start offering discounts or smaller amounts, then I decline again, and one or two have become total A-holes at that point. So now, when they show up I don't let them bring anything to the door and ask them politely to leave and "not interested"

blackseven

Regular Guy
    Aug 30, 2011
    A few of their drivers are shady. I've had contact with some with warrants and others were addicts.

Not sure what part of the county you're in but there is one capital meats driver that's been casing the neighborhood the past two months in octoraro lakes near rising sun.

joppaj

Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    When my wife lived in DC, she was only a few blocks from the projects. If we went back to her place through the projects it was very common to see a pick-up truck with a bed ful of pizza boxes and two guys selling pizza either by the slice or the whole pie out of the truck. The boxes were from all over the place. I was never sure how they were getting them, nor how old they were but they seemed to sell a lot.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    This may be a real company, but keep in mind that people do steal meat and seafood from grocery stores then try to sell it. Had a guy load his backpack up with shrimp at work one day then try to sell it to me on the parking lot when I left (wasn't in my work shirt).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom