• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Terphunter

Jul 25, 2012
    Ok pulled the trigger on my first lower thanks to MOM...it's an Anderson forged 5.56-223. Nothing fancy but I have a couple questions for those in the know.

I am looking to build a low-mid level "first build" 16" mil spec carbine this fall-winter. I am looking at getting either a Stag or BCM completed upper...mid level quality.

Question what is a good lower kit to instal? I will be doing this...seems relatively simple but I want some decent "guts" in the lower.

Any specially tools that would be needed or are necessary? Do required tool come with those kits?

Do I use blue loctite, red loctite or no loctite on the threaded parts?

I am looking at doing kind of "theme" accessories with either Magpul or Troy...one better than the other?

Anything else important...complete AR greener here. Read the great AR build thread...but its few years old by now...not sure if much has changed?

Thanks for any ideas.

Terphunter

Jul 25, 2012
    Oh one other thing. 1 in 7 vs 1 in 9 twist?? Most likely will be shooting 223 the most.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'm far from a "Master" builder, but I've got a few under my belt now.

For a LPK, cmmg has been pretty good. Stag's LPK is also decent, as well as PSA's for that matter. I normally don't worry about a fancy trigger with the LPK, because I buy triggers individually.

Upper wise, even though I love my Stag's that I've had in the past, if it's between BCM and Stag, and the price is close - I'd go BCM. Although both are going to do you right either way, IMO. Depending on what weight/length of round and distance you plan on shooting, that's going to be your deciding factor for twist rate.

I've shot up to 75gr. rounds thru a 1:9 twist, and got respectable groups at 100 yards with it. But it's a hit & miss deal there, no 2 barrels are going to shoot exactly the same. Mil is 1:7, but for most shooters a 1:9 is going to be more than sufficient for their needs.

Tool wise, you just need some roll punches, some electrical tape (prevent scratches), a stock wrench is helpful too, and some patience. I have yet to use any type of thread-locking compound for the buffer extension, just stake the castle nut, and it won't go anywhere.

I'm sure others will chime in with any other info or tips that could benefit you.

ride4frnt

Jun 18, 2011
    Clear Spring
    Not hard to build a lower. Upper is a bit more challenging to build. Just get a cheap pack of roll pin punches and an armorers wrench and you're good.

Look to palmetto state armory for one of their lower build kits and that's all you need to complete the lower. Then slap an upper on it.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    I'm starting from noob too.

I had CMMG recommended for LPKs, and as it happens Shield Tactical has them on sald for under $55, with dirt cheap shipping.

Mine were ordered Tues, shipped yesterday, expected tomorrow.

Will be interested in how the thread progresses.

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    I just assembled a Spikes lower with a JoeBobOutfitters LPK - minus trigger. I then installed an ALG trigger group. This is a mil-spec trigger that has been messaged lightly by Geisselle.

Terphunter

Jul 25, 2012
    Thanks for info. So loctite is not needed...i have always used that before on scope rings.

I might have to look into these Palmetto uppers...seem to have a lot of people talking about them? I was kind of leaning towards the Stag 3...kind of basic so i could customze it.

No preference on Magpul vs Troy accessories?? I like all the Magpul options but Troy has a lot to offer as well.

I recently completed my first build, PSA lower, lpk w/o trigger, the ALG QMS fcg, JoeBob's NiB bcg, PSA M4 style 16" upper. The upper was one of PSA's "blemmed" jobs, I couldn't see the blem, and it all went together like a charm. Put 200 rds through it at Hap Baker, no feed problems at all with cheap-ass steel case ammo, nice groups, too. So you might want to take a look at the PSA uppers, also.

ride4frnt

Jun 18, 2011
    Clear Spring
    I've used PSA parts kits exclusively, never had a problem at all. The good thing about them is they package them with magpul/hogue/ergo etc accessories. You won't want a standard grip that you'll get with any other LPK, so pay a bit more up front and get a parts kit with the grip and trigger guard you want and not have to buy them separate.

Terphunter

Jul 25, 2012
    I've used PSA parts kits exclusively, never had a problem at all. The good thing about them is they package them with magpul/hogue/ergo etc accessories. You won't want a standard grip that you'll get with any other LPK, so pay a bit more up front and get a parts kit with the grip and trigger guard you want and not have to buy them separate.

Thats cool save a little and convenient.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Do the build in a clean room, so you'll be able to find the inevitable lost pin. (Mine is still lost).

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    Ok pulled the trigger on my first lower thanks to MOM...it's an Anderson forged 5.56-223. Nothing fancy but I have a couple questions for those in the know.

I am looking to build a low-mid level "first build" 16" mil spec carbine this fall-winter. I am looking at getting either a Stag or BCM completed upper...mid level quality.
    BCM, higher in quality compared to Stag
    Question what is a good lower kit to instal? I will be doing this...seems relatively simple but I want some decent "guts" in the lower.
    Spikes, PSA, CMMG, JoeBob's
    Any specially tools that would be needed or are necessary? Do required tool come with those kits?
    Roll Pin Punch Set, AR Multi-tool or castle nut wrench for installing buffer tube. Must be purchased separately.
    Do I use blue loctite, red loctite or no loctite on the threaded parts?
    No Loctite
    I am looking at doing kind of "theme" accessories with either Magpul or Troy...one better than the other?
    Equal quality
    Anything else important...complete AR greener here. Read the great AR build thread...but its few years old by now...not sure if much has changed?
    There are a bunch of great tutorials out there. AR15.com has a good one. There are also some great YouTube vids on building lowers.
    Thanks for any ideas.
    Ive built my fair share of AR's. Just go slow and you should be fine.

anderson76

Feb 16, 2013
    If you have any sort of mechanical ability you can assemble a stripped lower with a hammer, punch, and screw driver or allen wrench.

There are a number of good youtube videos on the subject. Here is one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x84VW_xZmhU

The hardest part is not scratching your lower receiver. Take your time and protect the receiver with duct tape.

As far as lower parts kits go, I would recommend against PSA. It seems hit or miss with them. The triggers that came on the 2 PSA lpks that I used were just crap. For higher quality kits at value prices, a lot of builder seem to recommend Rock River or Stag.

I’m not hating on PSA. I do own 2 PSA stripped lowers and an upper which are of very good quality and an outstanding value.

I would also recommend a true mil speck buffer tube / receiver extension. The buffer tube that came with PSA’s kit is mil spec sized but not mil spec from a materials and manufacturing perspective. There is a noticeable difference in feel between charging my factory colt lower and the lower with the psa bits. One feels buttery smooth and the other feels sand papery. I’m not saying the PSA tube does not get the job done, but I am saying that there is a difference.

Terphunter

Jul 25, 2012
    Thanks all for your insight...looking forward to this project! Not going to break the bank on this first AR...but I have the lower...might as well complete it now! ;)

ride4frnt

Jun 18, 2011
    Clear Spring
    Take it from me, when I said I "didn't wanna break the bank" on my .300blk build I was $1700 deep in no time. But I'm happy with the rifle and could have sold it for substantially more than what I had in it.

brokenwing

Aug 17, 2013
    Carroll County
    I'm starting from noob too.

I had CMMG recommended for LPKs, and as it happens Shield Tactical has them on sald for under $55, with dirt cheap shipping.

Mine were ordered Tues, shipped yesterday, expected tomorrow.

Will be interested in how the thread progresses.

Thanks for the heads up, I am picking up my lower in the middle of September, I could not pass up on this deal from CMG. Thanks again I appreciate it. Also have you heard anything good about tapco millspec buffer tubes.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    for straight forward kit that works CMMG is fine. If want stuff like a NiB FCG, winter trigger guard Spikes Enhanced LPK is good

ktigerJ

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2013
    for straight forward kit that works CMMG is fine. If want stuff like a NiB FCG, winter trigger guard Spikes Enhanced LPK is good

I tried finding one of these for my lower build and couldn't. If anyone has a line on one let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom