• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kookymonstir

Feb 8, 2011
    St. Leonard Md
    I recently (actually, about a year ago) acquired a Savage 7mm Rem Mag. I'm looking to set the gun up for hunting. However, I'm certain that I will be primarily shooting holes in paper. The distance I have in mind is 200 yards for now. I hope to go out west for Elk and Mule Deer at some point in the future. I know budget is everything. I am thinking maybe $400.00

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Basic 3x9x40 hunting scope.

Can't beat a Nikon for clarity, quality, and value.

You could also look at Bushnell, Burris, and lower end Leupold.

Stay away from the uber-budget scopes.

Tasco, Simmons, BSA, NcStar, etc.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Get something that is not shaken apart by the recoil. I know, cheapo scopes have great warranties, doesnt help you if you hiked a day into Idahpo backcountry to find out that your reticle came loose. Scope cost is a rounding error in a trip out west.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    3.5X10 Leupold with TMR reticle. Allows for close in shooting at lower settings and ability to hold accurately for longer shots. Price that won't break the bank.

Good luck

Jerry

kookymonstir

Feb 8, 2011
    St. Leonard Md
    I have had friends recommend a Nikon Prostaff. Is that the Nikon you are referring to?
    I agree that scope cost on a hunting tip out west ultimately is a minor consideration. Ultimately, what's the real difference between the 200-400 dollar scope and a 800+ scope? Are they really worth that much more money? I mean the gun was only 300 bucks.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Rule of thumb is that it's better to put a 400 dollar scope on a 40 dollar rifle than put a 40 dollar scope on a 400 dollar rifle.

A lot of folks will drop all their coin on a 650 dollar rifle and then mount a $29.97 Simmons on it using yard sale Weaver rings.

Then they bitch and moan because their rifle won't shoot minute of barn door at 10 paces. Or the scope changes point of impact after a strong breeze has kicked up.

The ProStaff line is excellent. Never had one fail or fog. And clarity is better than some Leupolds I've had.

As for 800+ scopes, they're so you can tell other 800+ scope people that you're using an 800+ scope.

PS: Buy quality rings. Burris Z-rings are fantastic. Mount the scope as low as possible too.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Look into a vortex diamondback HP. Its the same glass and coatings as the viper and the 3-12x runs about $300. Just make sure your looking at the HP and not a regular diamonback the glass between the two is a big diffrence. The diamonback HP I have is just as clear and crisp as my Leupold vx3

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    Rule of thumb is that it's better to put a 400 dollar scope on a 40 dollar rifle than put a 40 dollar scope on a 400 dollar rifle.

A lot of folks will drop all their coin on a 650 dollar rifle and then mount a $29.97 Simmons on it using yard sale Weaver rings.

Then they bitch and moan because their rifle won't shoot minute of barn door at 10 paces. Or the scope changes point of impact after a strong breeze has kicked up.

The ProStaff line is excellent. Never had one fail or fog. And clarity is better than some Leupolds I've had.

As for 800+ scopes, they're so you can tell other 800+ scope people that you're using an 800+ scope.

PS: Buy quality rings. Burris Z-rings are fantastic. Mount the scope as low as possible too.

Agreed...if you're only shooting 200 yards. My answer would change if you're going further out.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I have Leupold scopes on all of my hunting rifles. Even the VX-1 should be stout enough for the 7mm mag. A good set of Leupold rings and you will be good to go.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I agree with the Leupold, but you could just as easily go with something else of quality. I just would go with something in 3x9 range but with an objective larger than 40mm if you will be hunting.

tosainu1

May 10, 2005
    Bowie Md
    For 200 yards on a hunting rifle I'd be looking at a 2.5-8x36 vx3 or a Zeiss Conquest 3x9.. Clear glass, durable and not too large of heavy. I have a lot of faith in Leupold products. They are sending new scope caps for free AFTER I admitted losing them.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Agreed...if you're only shooting 200 yards. My answer would change if you're going further out.

The way I understand it, for now he is going to punch paper at 200 yards. If he eventually goes out west, he will have to take longer shots.

Changing out a scope for something different at that point is not rocket surgery. It would be entirely reasonable to put a sturdy but affordable scope on it at this point and once that trip out west is planned, upgrade to something more suitable for longer shots.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Look into a vortex diamondback HP. Its the same glass and coatings as the viper and the 3-12x runs about $300. Just make sure your looking at the HP and not a regular diamonback the glass between the two is a big diffrence. The diamonback HP I have is just as clear and crisp as my Leupold vx3

I have a Diamondback HP 2-8x 32 on my slug-gun. Very nice and clear and knock on wood, so far it has survived the kick. The reason I chose it was that out of comparable scopes, it had the longest eye relief. With something that has a good kick like a 12Ga slug or 7mm mag, this is another item worth considering.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I just got a Burris AR 556 and Was loaned a Burris Verocity. Both are great scopes!

I really think the AR 556 scope may be my new go to scope.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    The way I understand it, for now he is going to punch paper at 200 yards. If he eventually goes out west, he will have to take longer shots.

Changing out a scope for something different at that point is not rocket surgery. It would be entirely reasonable to put a sturdy but affordable scope on it at this point and once that trip out west is planned, upgrade to something more suitable for longer shots.

The Burris AR 556 fits the bill for this. Sean and i took my AR 556 out today (video coming soon) to test the custom elevation knob and it worked like a champ.

[YT]7v3gcNURDYk[/YT]

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    That's if you want something with knobs to turn. Not everyone wants that on a hunting scope.

True.

I have a Nikon 1x4 on a hunting rifle and i always double and triple check the knobs to make sure they didnt get bumped. They're just that loose....

Last edited:

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia

Bingo.

I would recommend a nice mount and rings regardless. Every scope can benefit from a good solid base.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom