• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    do you keep it cocked then?

I carry two pistols depending on what I feel like carrying.

Sig P229 DAK in .357 Sig- It's DAO, so no. Just point and click.

Sig P220 SAO in .45 ACP(of course)- As close to a 1911 as you can get without buying a 1911. It's a single action with a thumb safety. This I carry cocked with the safety on.

X-Factor

I don't say please
    Jun 2, 2009
    Calvert County
    Since I can only legally carry in my home right now, I carry round in chamber hammer back safety on (this is possible with my HK). Were I ever to be able to carry in public I would still have a round in the chamber, but leave the hammer down.

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    There was a good thread here a while ago about which condition was safest for 1911's.

Most any gun should be able to be safely carried chambered as long as is in in a proper holster and being carried by someone competent.

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    When I carry with a DAO I always "duty load". When I carry my 1911, it is always cocked and locked. An empty chamber is not good in a real situation.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    My thoughts on this, after being where you are c.2001. I used to CCW a Glock27 in condition2 due to "lack of comfort." After reflection, research and training, I ditched the Glock for a SIG. My advice:

1) a self-defense firearm, if carried, should be chambered and ready to fire. If it's on your body, it is ready to go. Nothing to think about when you have only one "habit" (i.e., "is it really loaded??")

2) if a person doesn't feel comfortable with #1, they should identify the reason why that is. Correction can be in the form of: a) training; b) a different firearm for carry (like me); or c) don't carry but leave it accessible in condition 3(no chambered round).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom