• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FlatTopFoley

Bears
    Sep 6, 2010
    Silver Spring
    So we have a family friend who wants to get rid of one of her dads pistols, a S&W model 10. Silver with wood grips. The gun was bought brand new by one of her dads friends god knows how long ago. when he died, her dad acquired it. To her knowledge its unregistered. If I was interested in buying this, what would have to do to make everything ok in the eyes MD? just go to a FFL and do it there or would I need to do something else?

Thanks for any help guys.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    If you're both Maryland residents, she can transfer it to you (after you've settled on a price or other consideration) through an FFL (fee varies), or through a Maryland State Police barracks for a $10 fee.

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    To add to what Half-cocked said, a transfer is not registration. Registration is not required, it is voluntary, and I for one do not recommend it. To do the transfer, I'd call the nearest convenient State Police barracks and ask them how to proceed.

And, of course... :needpics:

boatme99

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2010
    Mid-Tenn.
    Is it a .38 S&W, or .38 special? If you want to sell out of state, let me know. I have a very old mod. 10 in .38 S&W. It needs a buddy. Your ffl to my ffl.

FlatTopFoley

Bears
    Sep 6, 2010
    Silver Spring
    as far as I know its a .38, and unfortunately I have yet to see it. I know she was thinking around $500, which seems ****ing out there considering gun broker has them for around 250-300.

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    Is it a .38 S&W, or .38 special? If you want to sell out of state, let me know. I have a very old mod. 10 in .38 S&W. It needs a buddy. Your ffl to my ffl.

Actually, when S&W assigned model numbers, the .38 S&W version of the Military and Police Hand Ejector was called the Model 11. Prior to model numbers, it was internally referred to as the KR-38 (R for regular, as the .38 S&W was more traditional than the .38 Spcl K-38).

And to the OP, unless there's something really special about this gun, I can't see $500 either. I remember hearing on another forum that $400 for a K frame and $500 for an N-frame were good ballpark prices.

FlatTopFoley

Bears
    Sep 6, 2010
    Silver Spring
    well now I know

egmsX.jpg

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    just out of curiosity, if she isn't a MD resident what would be the process?

She doesn't have to go back to an FFL in her state, if she's here in Maryland with the handgun right now.

If she's the resident of another state, but she's physically here in Maryland, she can transfer the handgun to you, via an FFL in Maryland, or the MSP.

But, if she (and the handgun) are in another state, and she doesn't want to drive here to Maryland, you will have to have it shipped FFL to FFL.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    She doesn't have to go back to an FFL in her state, if she's here in Maryland with the handgun right now.

If she's the resident of another state, but she's physically here in Maryland, she can transfer the handgun to you, via an FFL in Maryland, or the MSP.

But, if she (and the handgun) are in another state, and she doesn't want to drive here to Maryland, you will have to have it shipped FFL to FFL.

Sorry, but MSP can NOT act as a FFL for interstate transfers. They only can act as a transfer agent for intrastate, or in state, transfers per MD law.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Is this old enough to be C&R eligible? That can save you a lot of time and $$.

REALLY good point... if it was, though, he would have to pick it up directly from her, outside of Maryland... OR, she could ship it to him directly through an FFL in her state, if she finds one willing to ship to Maryland C&R's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Charles of the Manor

Latest threads

Top Bottom