• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jennings215

Mar 27, 2023
    Maryland
    Hello everyone, my question is pertaining to the DHMH part of the background check.
    I have been in psych unit 3 different times in my adult life, all VOLUNTARY & for no more than 12 days each stay. Last stay was over 5 years ago.
    I’m curious if anybody on here has been through similar experiences & how their MD CCW process went as far as the DHMH check goes.
    Also, how did you personally answer the question on MSP portal? I’ve been told that as long as it wasn’t involuntary or voluntary for 30+ consecutive days that nothing will pop up. I’m not comfortable with MSP knowing or having to explain those experiences over again.
    It’s hard finding much solid information, especially PERSONAL EXPERIENCES on this DHMH matter.

(Just to clarify, I was at a low point mentally after losing my significant other & had a very hard time dealing with it over the course of that time… SO PLEASE NO JUDGEMENT, I am perfectly fine in my life today with grieving).
    I’m also new to this page, so greetings to all, & I come with respect. Thank you.

Last edited:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    DHMH only reports single stays of more than 30 days. cumulative totals don’t count.

You should be fine.

Best wishes and welcome to the forum

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I never have, but if you don't fit into the parameters they are asking about, then why tell them? Many here will tell you to tell them anyway because you would be lying if you don't, even though you aren't lying. "Just in case" syndrome is rampant.

Jennings215

Mar 27, 2023
    Maryland
    DHMH only reports single stays of more than 30 days. cumulative totals don’t count.

You should be fine.

Best wishes and welcome to the forum
    Thank you for your input & you was on the ball with the response!!

Not asking what to do… but do you personally think I would be fine answering NO for the MSP portal’s big question pertaining mental health commitment?
    I feel like it’s kind of a fishing question as it doesn’t state voluntary for 30+ days.. it just asks “have you ever been commited, voluntarily or involuntarily to a mental health facility” with no specification of actual disqualifying time.

Jennings215

Mar 27, 2023
    Maryland
    I never have, but if you don't fit into the parameters they are asking about, then why tell them? Many here will tell you to tell them anyway because you would be lying if you don't, even though you aren't lying. "Just in case" syndrome is rampant.
    That’s exactly how I feel about it, I’m right there with you! I just worry about my short voluntary stays still being seen if I answer no. I understand the right thing to do would be to be honest, but I don’t want to risk it, nor have to relive them experiences.
    I just want to make sure nothing comes up before I “possibly” answer no.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Don’t lie if you voluntarily committed yourself. Lying on the app will get you in a lot more trouble than just answering the question truthfully

If no DHMH report is there you’ll be fine

Nothing in the app requires more than a yes or no answer.

Just my opinion.

Jennings215

Mar 27, 2023
    Maryland
    Don’t lie if you voluntarily committed yourself. Lying on the app will get you in a lot more trouble than just answering the question truthfully

If no DHMH report is there you’ll be fine

Nothing in the app requires more than a yes or no answer.

Just my opinion.
    I understand & you are 100% correct

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    FYI the dhmh check only sees info in state hospital records. If it was private they cant see it at all.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    So , if I'm understanding , the issue is the wording on the paraphrased portal question vs actual law ?

Back in the days of routine in person interviews , one of the standard checklist questions was " What medications are you taking/ prescribed ? " .

Psychology related meds , could then lead to needing a letter from a MD stating that you are fit to carry guns .

Jennings215

Mar 27, 2023
    Maryland
    So , if I'm understanding , the issue is the wording on the paraphrased portal question vs actual law ?

Back in the days of routine in person interviews , one of the standard checklist questions was " What medications are you taking/ prescribed ? " .

Psychology related meds , could then lead to needing a letter from a MD stating that you are fit to carry guns .
    Sry, I don’t understand completely what you mean. Also, no medications are/has been involved

(Just to clarify, I was at a low point mentally after losing my significant other & had a very hard time dealing with it over the course of that time… SO PLEASE NO JUDGEMENT, I am perfectly fine in my life today with grieving).
    I’m also new to this page, so greetings to all, & I come with respect. Thank you.
    In light of this comment, I would answer "Yes" and add an explanation. It was over 5 years ago and not unreasonable for a normal person to lose their mind over something like that.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Thank you for the reply!
    I was in Hopkins inpatient psych unit once & Sheppard Pratt twice.. are those considered state hospitals?
    No they are not as far as I know.

BUT if you say yes you where in patient my bet is they will want a letter from a DR. Even if it was under the 30 day time line. I would tend to be honest, contact your doc, assuming you have one, and get a letter from them. If you have had problems in the past I would hope you have a doc now to help with preventing them being a problem in the future.

( I am also in the opinion that almost everyone could use to talk to a head doc once or twice a year just to have someone to talk to. And to help with anything in your head. Now I dont, but it would not hurt me to do it.)

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    I have said this before, my father helped design the system that does the search. The way it works the state system encodes your name and birthday and up loads that to a file system the SP can access. The state police type in your name and birthday and it encodes it the same and looks for an encoding match. The SP can not see anything in the DHMH system, they just query a data base of encoded names that they cant even see or decode.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I believe any mental facility state or not that is licensed by DHMH to provide services has to report any stay longer than 30 days.

But my Dad did not design anything so take it with a grain of salt

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    I believe any mental facility state or not that is licensed by DHMH to provide services has to report any stay longer than 30 days.

But my Dad did not design anything so take it with a grain of salt
    According to my dad they only have access to state mental hospital records.
    You can agree to disagree, but I will take his word on it. Btw his position was the director of IT for the MD DHMH.

Jennings215

Mar 27, 2023
    Maryland
    In light of this comment, I would answer "Yes" and add an explanation. It was over 5 years ago and not unreasonable for a normal person to lose their mind over something like that.
    Answer truthfully on the application.

You will get your permit.
    That’s what I am going to do. Do you think they delve in to it more if you’re up front about it tho? Of course most of the time when people when they check themselves in to them places, it’s for one reason.

Jennings215

Mar 27, 2023
    Maryland
    Thank you everyone for your inputs so far, & I appreciate every one of you I apologize for so many questions, I’m just adamant on knowing how to move with this situation.
    The MDshooter community is 100% amazing in my eyes!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom